What's new

Simpson, I hate you #SBAD #BAD #MAD

Moving on:

210208_13960-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Chubby1M.jpg

manchurian brushes.jpg

Some more fuel for the Simpsons BAD fire.
My current rotation of Manchurian brushes, ordered left to right by loft height (or so I thought, the Duke is probably taller than the Disco-Haze Chubby 2 in the middle). All good brushes. This is some of the fruit of my lock-down induced retail madness :c1:

The Chubby 2 and Chubby 3 knots are all very unique in perceived face feel and softness, as well as actual measurements in loft and knot shape that change the experience. The Chubby 3s are both very different

Somehow this thread seems to be the Badger & Blade edition of a 'Simpson appreciation thread' like they exist on other boards. So I thought I'd share further pictures of my Simpson brushes which I also just published in my review of the Windsor from @Above The Tie, which is featured in all the photos:

Chubby 3 Super, a bit out of focus as this picture was more about the razor initially. Sorry! ;)

210201_13923-AboveTheTie-Windsor-Stand_Chubby3S.jpg

Chubby 2 Manchurian from the 2016 edition:

210206_13938-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Atlas_Stand-Chubby2MFT.jpg

Chubby 2 Silvertip:

210212_13971-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Chubby2STBS.jpg

🌞

Nice collection.

I am about to order a Ch2 Silvertip and likely an Astor in Best. I have a Beaufort 6 Pure on the way as well. At that point I will have enough Simpsons to last my lifetime and my kids, grandkids.... 😜

Here are a bunch of mine. Missing are Trafalgars and Specials. Also Vulfix.

E3738ECB-76DC-44B6-8E12-511826991617.jpeg

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Nice collection.

I am about to order a Ch2 Silvertip and likely an Astor in Best. I have a Beaufort 6 Pure on the way as well. At that point I will have enough Simpsons to last my lifetime and my kids, grandkids.... 😜

Here are a bunch of mine. Missing are Trafalgars and Specials. Also Vulfix.

View attachment 1230747
What a lineup! I think that even at full price the M7 Best from WCS is one of the best kept secret deals in all the Kingdom of Shavedom. Great brush at a great price.

What a lineup! I think that even at full price the M7 Best from WCS is one of the best kept secret deals in all the Kingdom of Shavedom. Great brush at a great price.
I think I paid $100US on Black Friday. It is $130 or so now. Agreed, best Simpson deal going IMO.

The suggestion that the Beaufort 6 was on sale at G&C was too much to resist... it arrived today and has been test lathered! Still has a bit of funk to it (no such issues with the Silvertip and Super knots, just a hint of funk in my recent Best acquisitions), but it's ready to jump into the rotation tomorrow morning :D

Here's a pic for size comparison, with the Commodore X3 and Tulip 3

P3020004sm.JPG

...and two of my favorite recently purchased Simpsons, just because

P3020005sm.JPG

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The suggestion that the Beaufort 6 was on sale at G&C was too much to resist... it arrived today and has been test lathered! Still has a bit of funk to it (no such issues with the Silvertip and Super knots, just a hint of funk in my recent Best acquisitions), but it's ready to jump into the rotation tomorrow morning :D

View attachment 1230892

View attachment 1230893

Liking that Beaufort! It's halfway to a Keyhole, which is still my favorite Simpsons handle.

A KH4 in SiLVERTiP - now that would be a brush! 🤔

AA

View attachment 1230892

View attachment 1230893
Very nice collection.

The Beaufort 6 is taller than I expected. I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago, so it should eventually get to me in Canada. G&C recently lost my Eagle 3 Pure, so fingers crossed!

Very nice collection.

The Beaufort 6 is taller than I expected. I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago, so it should eventually get to me in Canada. G&C recently lost my Eagle 3 Pure, so fingers crossed!

yeah, it's a big'un for sure, though overall knot size is pretty comparable between the three brushes in that pic.

This one has a fair sized glue bump and very solid backbone, with some good density and scrub to it. I tried it with a new soap this morning (Speick Active in the tub) and was a bit red on the cheeks afterward... this might be a result of seriously scrubby bristle, or the soap formula, so tomorrow will be a tried and true soap as a control.

The long handle is easy to palm and grip by the middle ring, so it doesn't feel top heavy like a Special does (to me at least). Funk is still holding on to its purchase on the heart of the knot, but has subsided enough that it doesn't interfere with the scent of even moderately strong soaps, I'm sure it will be completely gone after a week of use.

So far it's a winner, I'll report back after extended use with a final assessment.

Liking that Beaufort! It's halfway to a Keyhole, which is still my favorite Simpsons handle.

A KH4 in SiLVERTiP - now that would be a brush! 🤔

AA

I re-knotted a RazoRock Keyhole synth (which was a floppy mess of a knot IMO) with a Maggard 22mm Two-band last fall and I'm very happy with the result.

As far as handle proportions, the Beaufort 2 is my favorite so far, both visually and in-hand, but the B1 and B6 are also very functional and not bad lookers at all.

Last edited:
Today there was still funk competing with the scent of my RR Black Bay soap* , but not a trace of red-face syndrome, so the Speick Active soap is the culprit there. Which is great, since I really like the big scrubby Beaufort, despite its relative enormity ;)

*I find that the last 1/4" of soap at the bottom of the tub is less intensely scented with this particular soap, my hunch is that the scent fade is because the source is literally powdered bay laurel blended into the soap base, which degrades more with air and water exposure than EOs or FOs do.

Top Bottom