What's new

Simpson, I hate you #SBAD #BAD #MAD

Here are pics of the Duke and Beaufort with the same hair (despite one being "best" and the other "pure")

IMO, this batch of hair falls within the realm of best, despite having gray tips and a hint of scritch.

P2120002sm.JPG
P2120003sm.JPG

So
I just concluded what could either be a great deal or a disaster. I traded a Chubby 1 Manchurian that I wasn't fond of with a guy from the FB Simpsons' group. He's sending me two recently purchased, barely used SiLVERTiPs with which he is disappointed (he says they're smaller than he thought)- a Classic 1 and a Berkeley. This could be a great trade; I suppose at worst I'm getting rid of one brush I don't really like and replacing it with two brushes that I won't like. They'll look good lined up on the sill, if nothing else. Of course, the way the USPS is right now neither one of us might see our new brushes before summer.
Sounds like a great deal. The SiLVERTiP’s always feel smaller. This is due to the bulb knot that they generally sport. Great brushes but you can afford to go a size up with a two-band bulb.

Boy oh boy... it's gotta be 8 or 10 years old, my Duke 2 in Best, but what a magnificent face lathering brush. Just loaded it with Cella and had a delightful late night shave. A little Booster Island Bay Rum and I'm ready to climb that wooden hill and face old John o' Dreams.

All you guys who got that Duke 2 deal from Alrossa over Christmas got yourselves one dandy little brush.
I am one, and you are so right. Just prior to this Duke 2 deal I had ordered the Duke 3 on another Alrossa deal. I was just getting acquainted with the Duke 3 when the Duke 2 deal came up. What a deal and I couldn't resist. I could not be happier.

After finding the feel of my recently purchased Commodore X3 too scrubby for my liking, I went back to the Simpson site just to poke around, and lo and behold they have for offer a Duke 3 in SiLVERTiP. I’ve always wanted to try this brush/hair combo so I pulled the trigger. Excited to try this (new to me) handle shape in a grade of hair that I’ve found excellent in my other brushes. Simpsons feels like my eternal temptation!

Last edited:
After being finding the feel of my recently purchased Commodore X3 too scrubby for my liking, I went back to the Simpson site just to poke around, and lo and behold they have for offer a Duke 3 in SiLVERTiP. I’ve always wanted to try this brush/hair combo so I pulled the trigger. Excited to try this (new to me) handle shape in a grade of hair that I’ve found excellent in my other brushes.
I have had my eye on that forever. Expensive, but would likely be one of those “forever brushes”. 👍

I have had my eye on that forever. Expensive, but would likely be one of those “forever brushes”. 👍

There are now 2 left, and Simpson’s recently warned of possible price increases starting in March. Just to enable you a bit. ;)
But yeah, I’m hoping this will be a long term keeper. My Emperor 3 in SiLVERTiP is probably my favorite brush.

There are now 2 left, and Simpson’s recently warned of possible price increases starting in March. Just to enable you a bit. ;)
But yeah, I’m hoping this will be a long term keeper. My Emperor 3 in SiLVERTiP is probably my favorite brush.
I am ordering a custom Chubby 2 Silvertip and a Duke 3 Synthetic in a week or so from Simpsons. All done except for the me paying part. 👍

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
After finding the feel of my recently purchased Commodore X3 too scrubby for my liking, I went back to the Simpson site just to poke around, and lo and behold they have for offer a Duke 3 in SiLVERTiP. I’ve always wanted to try this brush/hair combo so I pulled the trigger. Excited to try this (new to me) handle shape in a grade of hair that I’ve found excellent in my other brushes. Simpsons feels like my eternal temptation!
I own two of them. Both are outstanding brushes, the finest shaving brushes I've ever used, really. The ruby one in particular is absolutely exquisite.

Duke 2band.jpeg

I own two of them. Both are outstanding brushes, the finest shaving brushes I've ever used, really. The ruby one in particular is absolutely exquisite.

View attachment 1222508
@Owen Bawn I think an earlier post on your love for this handle/hair combo may have been the first thing to put it on my radar as a possibility! Also, the faux Ruby is just amazing. I’m lucky enough to to have an M7 in the same material. It’s quite striking in person. It gives the handle this beautiful depth that’s very hard to capture in a photograph.
C358BF64-2EE7-4B36-A6EE-3B3B0BA8FDDC.jpeg

Owen Bawn

@Owen Bawn I think an earlier post on your love for this handle/hair combo may have been the first thing to put it on my radar as a possibility! Also, the faux Ruby is just amazing. I’m lucky enough to to have an M7 in the same material. It’s quite striking in person. It gives the handle this beautiful depth that’s very hard to capture in a photograph.
View attachment 1222635
That is indeed a handsome M7. Manchurian or SiLVERTiP?

If any of you folks like Simpson’s scrubby Pure badger brushes, Gifts and Care is blowing out the Beaufort B6 for 30% off.

The biggest Beaufort in the range. Works out to be $40US plus shipping (just over $50 all in).

Looks like a great brush (22x50mm knot with a 60mm handle) for the $$$. Almost $90 from Simpsons direct.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If any of you folks like Simpson’s scrubby Pure badger brushes, Gifts and Care is blowing out the Beaufort B6 for 30% off.

The biggest Beaufort in the range. Works out to be $40US plus shipping (just over $50 all in).

Looks like a great brush (22x50mm knot with a 60mm handle) for the $$$. Almost $90 from Simpsons direct.

I'd like a Beaufort a lot, I think. The Keyhole has the best ergos of any I've found! But Pure, will pass. Best and that one Super has ruined me....

AA

I'd like a Beaufort a lot, I think. The Keyhole has the best ergos of any I've found! But Pure, will pass. Best and that one Super has ruined me....

AA
I get it. I like super and Best more than Pure, but still enjoy using pure. I like having at least one of each bristle and do use them. 👍

Owen Bawn

I have two Eagle G3s and one G2, all in Pure. I've also got a terrific older Rooney Style 1, Size 2 in Pure, and an even older Rooney in Pure that's as small as a Simpson Case. I've decided that I'm going "All Pure Badger" for Lent starting this Wednesday. 40 days, 5 Pure badgers. Penitential luxury.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My favourite Simpson grade is Manchurian, followed by Best and Pure tied for second place. Then Platinum synthetic, and finally in a very distant last place, would be Super which is not for me at all. I have yet to try a SiLVERTiP. 👍

Top Bottom