What's new

Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine

[QUOTE="pwillpwTo me a new tool should add something different to my den. Otherwise, why bother?
[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I also am looking for diversity, not duplication when exploring new kit.

Reactions: bjm

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What people are saying about this brush is true for me. Great backbone, great flow through. It lathers like a monster and is soft. So glad I bought one.

The only downside is that its a little small for me.

The best part is that it uniquely rounded out my collection of boars and badgers. When I use this it is a different experience than all my other brushes. To me a new tool should add something different to my den. Otherwise, why bother?

To me a new tool should add something different to my den. Otherwise, why bother?

Very interesting point of view, and a good one I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The only downside is that its a little small for me.
^^The ony reason I haven't bought one of these. I did buy a Semogue C5 Torga in finest badger back in June, and it is great lather-creator...but too damn small, and I have probably slightly-above-average-sized hands hands. I've had a few occasions when my fingers cramped-up using it. I just wish they'd make something equivalent to, say, what a C8 handle/knot would be. Even if the max-sized knot would be 24mmm, I would be fine with that if they'd only make larger handles of the same shape/style. I actually like the shape of the Torga handle...but the C5 is just too small

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
^^The ony reason I haven't bought one of these. I did buy a Semogue C5 Torga in finest badger back in June, and it is great lather-creator...but too damn small, and I have probably slightly-above-average-sized hands hands. I've had a few occasions when my fingers cramped-up using it. I just wish they'd make something equivalent to, say, what a C8 handle/knot would be. Even if the max-sized knot would be 24mmm, I would be fine with that if they'd only make larger handles of the same shape/style. I actually like the shape of the Torga handle...but the C5 is just too small

I'd also prefer a larger knot.

6-30-20.Mistura.New.SOC.Semogue.640.JPG

Semogue SOC Mistura

⬅ (brand new)​

The SOC Mistura handle is, in my hands, one of the most ergonomically perfect of handles. My hands are larger than average I think.

Here it's broken in a bit. ➡​
12-14-20.Executiive.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

Even though I'd prefer a 26 mm knot, this knot works great in all respects. It was a wonderful brush right out of the box, but it has improved with use.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1-2-21.FOCS.Mistura.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

The Semogue SOC Mistura​

A wonderful knot - very soft with loads of scrub, plenty of backbone, a lather building monster - coupled with a beautiful, ergonomically fabulous handle.

To me, scrub is essential, and lots of it. This brush has delicious scrub and not a hint of bad scritch.

I loved this brush when it was brand spanking new. It's better now that it's broken in.

Happy New Year,

Jim

First outing today. It lost 3 more hairs but nothing serious. Compared to my Zenith and Shavemac Manchurian as well as the SOC Taj Boar it is less dense also has not such a pronounced backbone. On the other hand it feels soft already out of the box and will get softer with each use. As I said beofore the butterscotch color is an absolut stunner!
IMG_0228.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
First outing today. It lost 3 more hairs but nothing serious. Compared to my Zenith and Shavemac Manchurian as well as the SOC Taj Boar it is less dense also has not such a pronounced backbone. On the other hand it feels soft already out of the box and will get softer with each use. As I said beofore the butterscotch color is an absolut stunner!
View attachment 1205719

Where'd you get a Shavemac Manchurian?

In my view of brushes they should be judged mostly by how they perform which means the totality of the package. Everything that goes into the brush's makeup counts. I'm not saying you're overvaluing density but some people do, I think, and I know I sometimes have.

Yes, the Mistura is less dense than some knots (and more dense than many others), but, in my opinion, it has the perfect density for a mixed knot. It's not a lather hog. It has excellent flow through. It rinses well and easily compared to some very dense knots. It has great scrub.

I am not a fan of density for the sake of density. That doesn't mean I don't like and enjoy my Shavemac D01 two band and some other very dense knots. It does mean I believe some knots are dense mostly because, right now, density seems to be what the market prizes, sometimes to the detriment of the knot and the end user.

Just my opinion of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Where'd you get a Shavemac Manchurian?

In my view of brushes they should be judged mostly by how they perform which means the totality of the package. Everything that goes into the brush's makeup counts. I'm not saying you're overvaluing density but some people do, I think, and I know I sometimes have.

Yes, the Mistura is less dense than some knots (and more dense than many others), but, in my opinion, it has the perfect density for a mixed knot. It's not a lather hog. It has excellent flow through. It rinses well and easily compared to some very dense knots. It has great scrub.

I am not a fan of density for the sake of density. That doesn't mean I don't like and enjoy my Shavemac D01 two band and some other very dense knots. It does mean I believe some knots are dense mostly because, right now, density seems to be what the market prizes, sometimes to the detriment of the knot and the end user.

Just my opinion of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim,
Sorry it’s a D01-Two Band. Today somebody in another thread said that it is comparable to Simpsons Manchurian and this somehow stuck in back of my brain when typing....

I‘m completely with you, either the package works for you or it doesn’t. My experience with mixed knots starts and ends with an Omega Mixed Midget. That said the Mistura is noticeable softer than my Taj boar so by all means it should be a great crowd pleaser as my taste - as yours -tends to run the scrubbier the better.

3D82109D-00EF-4F98-AFCD-017D7AA8CC7A.jpeg

CA13B3D5-7CAB-4FB7-BEBE-FA6F68A5416C.jpeg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for clarifying that. I don't want to be Jonesing for a non-existent knot.

Cool brushes and photos, Hannes. I'm assuming the Zenith is a Manchurian and the other is a D01 two band.

I really like my Zenith Manchurians, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks for clarifying that. I don't want to be Jonesing for a non-existent knot.

Cool brushes and photos, Hannes. I'm assuming the Zenith is a Manchurian and the other is a D01 two band.

I really like my Zenith Manchurians, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim,
yes the Zenith is a 506AK Gold Manchurian and the Shavemac a 24/50 D01-Two Band (dense little Spud). I love them both with the Taj Boar not far behind.

As I said before I’m truly looking forward to break in the Mistura and release its full potential.

Hannes

I decided to reward myself with a new brush (last week was great for me) and I settled on Zenith manchurian. While browsing I ran across a mistura and curiosity lead me to this thread. By the end of page two I had three brushes heading my way, one of which is a Butterscotch resin SOC mistura. The other two are the manchurian and an unbleachex boar.

Thanks for enabling. :thumbup: Hopefully I can chime in in a few weeks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I decided to reward myself with a new brush (last week was great for me) and I settled on Zenith manchurian. While browsing I ran across a mistura and curiosity lead me to this thread. By the end of page two I had three brushes heading my way, one of which is a Butterscotch resin SOC mistura. The other two are the manchurian and an unbleachex boar.

Thanks for enabling. :thumbup: Hopefully I can chime in in a few weeks.

Excellent choices in my view.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Apologies in advance if this is not the right place to post this...
But I thought some people might be interested and use it.
Got an email from Vintage Scent, they have an offer for 20% off on all Semogue SOC brushes, using code SOC20.

Apologies in advance if this is not the right place to post this...
But I thought some people might be interested and use it.
Got an email from Vintage Scent, they have an offer for 20% off on all Semogue SOC brushes, using code SOC20.
You can put this in the Shopping and Deals section to give it a broader audience.

Top Bottom