JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Is anyone keeping a list?

Here's mine so far:

Software
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum soap
OPR Sandalwood soap (for Pre-Shave)

Hardware
More Astra SS double edge razor blades (I think I have enough to get me through the year, but if not...I will live.)
RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
RazoRock Lupo SS DC .95 SB/.72 OC

Towards the end of this sabbatical, I'm going to put together a PIF to help clear out the things I'd prefer not to use anymore.

Is anyone keeping a list?

Here's mine so far:

Software
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum soap
OPR Sandalwood soap (for Pre-Shave)

Hardware
More Astra SS double edge razor blades (I think I have enough to get me through the year, but if not...I will live.)
RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
RazoRock Lupo SS DC .95 SB/.72 OC

Towards the end of this sabbatical, I'm going to put together a PIF to help clear out the things I'd prefer not to use anymore.

Software:
Cella (red tub); I'm trying to use it all before it turns into a science experiment.

Hardware:
Gillette Tech (1961 G4) / Astra Superior Platinum
Timeless Ti .95 OC / Gillette Silver Blue
Maggard Razors V3A / Dorco Prime STP-301
Timeless SS .68 SCL / Astra Superior Stainless
Karve CB brass SB-C plate / Super-Max Blue Diamond
Timeless SS .68 OC / Gillette Silver Blue
Timeless Ti .95 OC / Gillette Silver Blue
Muhle R41 / Gillette Silver Blue
Timeless SS .95 SCL / Gillette Silver Blue

I've also been making a list of gear to sell or give away. I have a post-sabbatical shopping list that gets shorter every week. I guess the longer I go without buying anything helps to convince me I don't really need anything.

No serious temptations so far... well, there was one, but it was for a good cause :)

My restock arrived at last from Spain.

The only thing here I am putting to use soon is the Zenith brush. I have enough soaps on the go for now, including a stub of La Toja. The other soaps here will be new to me. I have tried other scents of all three, and only the tallow formulations of Haslinger.

A1F9A69F-898C-4D4E-AD8E-BB8103D1D548.jpeg

My restock arrived at last from Spain.

The only thing here I am putting to use soon is the Zenith brush. I have enough soaps on the go for now, including a stub of La Toja. The other soaps here will be new to me. I have tried other scents of all three, and only the tallow formulations of Haslinger.

View attachment 1227427
Nice products.
Which Haslinger soap did you choose?

SOTD (055/2021)
24-02-2021

>> "One blade in February"- challenge <<

20210224_094125-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water.
Brush: Omega Hi-Brush 46138
Soap: Haslinger ~ Schafsmilch
Razor: Gillette Slim (on setting 7)
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (24)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Nivea 2in1 AS, Nivea Cool psb.

Shave no. 24.

All good things come to an end, they say. It's been the final shave with the chinese made Gillette Wilkinson Sword!

My verdict: I am very impressed by the performance of this blade. She gave me plenty of excellent close and smooth shaves right from the start (approx. 18-20 were absolutely flawless). With 24 shaves in the booksthe declining sharpness of the blade finally has come to a level in which the blade still cuts (granted, it does) but she clearly now lacks the desired level of comfort I seek to have in my shaves (4 passes needed to get to DFS, slight begin of skin irritation/itching).

The blade, however, is a clear keeper in my books and I likely will stock some tucks once the ongoing sabbatical has been completed.

I'm going to switch blades now for the remaining shaves of this month to align my shaves (and my face) to "sharper" blades again...

The upcoming month of March will be exclusively dedicated to the mysteroius KAI blade (PIFed in line with the rules of the sabbatical by @Grundi ). Looking forward to trying this blade (new to me)...

Nice products.
Which Haslinger soap did you choose?
Sensitive. I ordered up a big stash of tallow formula Haslinger soaps when they reformulated. I have at least one of everything, including a lot of Schafmilch, and I have tried almost all of them. They are all good.

I think Sensitive was not produced or else was out of stock then. So when I get around to this soap I will be trying the new flavour as well as the vegan formulation for the first time.

I see. I have never used the old formula of Schafsmilch, but the vegan one (used today, by coincidence) is slick and does a very decent job.

I gave my new Zenith brush a try this morning, with Occitane Cade soap disguised in a D.R. Harris bowl.

What a nice brush, and how nice to have something new to try, sabbatical and all. The bristles have a surprising amount of backbone. The tips are decently soft on the first trial, with just a bit of new brush prickliness. We’ll see how it splays over time, but for now I like that it has the broomlike concentration of an Omega, rather than the moppy spread of a Semogue. My two Semogue brushes are banished to a box in the closet.

The handle is shiny plastic. For me this brush is kind of a replacement for my first shaving brush, my one and only for over twenty years until use and utter lack of care made it look as you see below.

There’s a groove in the handle with ridges above and below that I found a bit uncomfortable. I found I have an O-ring to fit it, so it is improved now by that handsome and simple modification.

So far so good. Still in.

A7BDE839-7D6C-4EAE-AB94-9606B0A3ADCD.jpeg

Still in
Had a lot of temptations this week. Was close to buy a Timeless and an Oumo brush on sale. I really don't need more brushes, that's my biggest temptation every few weeks. Glad I joined this group, it helps a lot in resisting. Today shaved with my 3$ Tech and it convinced me that I don't need a 150$ razor. I also try to read all the reviews of the people having the razor and not using it anymore for x reason or because they found something better.
I can't say after this sabbatical I won't buy a razor but I really don't want to buy more brushes even after this sabbatical except if 2-3 breaks.
After the sabbatical, so far my list is :
1 green Aftershave
1 rose Aftershave
Blades ( probably Bic chrome platinum )
IMG_20210224_151859.jpg

Last edited:
Still in.
Razor: GEM MMOC (bumps)
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: 26mm Timberwolf
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Venture
This was my first time using the MMOC. Very close and smooth shave. Went with the recommended shallow angle and was rewarded with a great shave. I may have made a tactical error trading for one of these while on sabbatical. I fear I may fall down another rabbit hole wanting to try more of these razors! I was thoroughly impressed with this razor today! Have a great day y’all!
5C7E6E5C-E4FA-4D8E-A4B3-43419239124C.jpeg

The Micromatic family is great and will give you many excellent shaves. The MMOC can give you outstanding results with a little bit of practice. If this is your first single edge experience there is a wide range of options that can feed your RAD for a long time but makes sabbatical more challenging.

The Micromatic family is great and will give you many excellent shaves. The MMOC can give you outstanding results with a little bit of practice. If this is your first single edge experience there is a wide range of options that can feed your RAD for a long time but makes sabbatical more challenging.
This is my first single edge, and the more research I do the further I fall. I will need to tread lightly! Looking forward to mastering the MMOC! Thank you for the response!

Top Bottom