What's new

What was your carry today?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm not opposed to appendix carry, but I prefer to carry in the traditional 3-3:30 position on my right hip (75% IWB, and 25% OWB). A lot of it has to do with consistency and habit. I've carried for more 20 years, and there is so much habit and muscle memory from training classes and dry fire work from my right hip that I'm sticking with it. There is the part of appendix carry with the muzzle facing the femoral artery and other assorted important bits and pieces that would be a bit weird if I started to carry that way, but would certainly be overcome in short order just by doing it. I'll just continue dancing with what brung me...

Cheers.
Since I have been carrying I have changed from 6 o'clock to 3:30. It's been an evolution. I'm just quicker on target, FOR ME it's been a huge help. And I carry OWB, and dress around my gun. I ain't real high on fashion; yeah, the wife loves me anyway!

I've chosen to wear a LOT of Hawaiian shirts the last few summers, and in the winter I wear a vest under my sports coat/jacket... The rest of the time I wear a real casual type of sports coat.

I just like the look. I'm old enough now to know dress how I want. Throw a casual beat up Fedora on and I'm ready to fly off to capital hill at a moment's notice!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Since I have been carrying I have changed from 6 o'clock to 3:30. It's been an evolution. I'm just quicker on target, FOR ME it's been a huge help. And I carry OWB, and dress around my gun. I ain't real high on fashion; yeah, the wife loves me anyway!

I've chosen to wear a LOT of Hawaiian shirts the last few summers, and in the winter I wear a vest under my sports coat/jacket... The rest of the time I wear a real casual type of sports coat.

I just like the look. I'm old enough now to know dress how I want. Throw a casual beat up Fedora on and I'm ready to fly off to capital hill at a moment's notice!

In the dog days of summer, you will find me in a Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts and sandals or flip flops.
The boxy button up along with Hawaiian prints, do really nice breaking up the outline of a pistol. :)

OkieStubble

I have a question. If on the hip is 3’oclock and just behind the hip is 4’oclock, where is the 3:30 position?

Strong side...3-4 o'clock. Old dogs do not easily learn new tricks
IMG_2774.jpg

I have a question. If on the hip is 3’oclock and just behind the hip is 4’oclock, where is the 3:30 position?
Right between them! 😉

I try to start at 3 o'clock but there is always a bit of migration since the forward cant of the pistol tends cause my carry rig to slide to rear a bit, but not to 4 o'clock. The belt clips or holes prevent it from moving too far backwards due to the pant's belt loops.

Cheers.

OkieStubble

Right between them! 😉

I try to start at 3 o'clock but there is always a bit of migration since the forward cant of the pistol tends cause my carry rig to slide to rear a bit, but not to 4 o'clock. The belt clips or holes prevent it from moving too far backwards due to the pant's belt loops.

Cheers.

Lol'd. Your post exactly describes my carry also. I really like a 3 slotted pancake holster for OWB carry. It allows the forward cant for when I want to carry behind the hip and a different slot for a more, straight up 90 degree carry when I want to carry on the hip at 3 o'clock or more forward of the hip. My belt loops on my pants, usually has one right at the 3 o'clock position, so I put the belt loop in the middle and between the two loop cut outs on the holster.

I then can push and slide the front cut out on the holster, up against the belt loop on the hip which acts as a stop that postion's the holster and pistol itself at the 4 o'clock position. :)

FarmerTan

So you're a lefty?
Ha! No, it's in a mirror! And I managed to take that pic all by myself! (I can't give my lovely bride any extra chances to make fun of me by asking for her help...)

This is the first time I've carried this GP in months. My wife made me clean my side of the bed room and I found the holster I was stretching out for the belt. ADD stinks! I just knew that holster was somewhere in this house!

I AIWB almost exclusively. I have done so since summer 2008 or 2009. I have attended multiple classes with this method of carry.
I carry a Glock 35 -65%/Glock 19- 25%/1911- 11%/Glock 34- 9%.

I went to AIWB from primarily IWB for speed of presentation/uniformity of working off the center line with my hands/concealment relative to kids/parents contact when I was "coaching" my kids in all manner of sports v. hugging low so they have to go high and/or awkwardly blading the body away.

I used a kydex holster that will not collapse. I used purpose designed gun belts. My Glocks are all fitted with Striker Control Devices. I reholster reluctantly and slowly after sweeping the top of the holster with my support hand and shooting my hips out as I reholster with my primary hand keeping my trigger finger very high "in register" along the ejection port of the weapon.

As an related aside-if you want to seek how people draw from every position etc., go to youtube and look up active self protection.
He has amassed thousands of videos with "breakdowns' of each incident. You may not agree with his conclusions all of the time but it is clear that he has at least thought about what he is saying.

Three big take-a ways

1. you have to have a sub 2 second draw from concealment to center mass every time cold at 5 yrds or less to be able to take advantage of an opportunity to defend yourself if and when it presents itself

2. drawing against the drop when somebody already has their gun out without waiting for your opportunity is a almost sure road to failure.

3. Any weapon that you have on you that you are good with and works is better than the supposedly better one you left at home, in the car etc. v. being on your person.

OkieStubble

Ha! No, it's in a mirror! And I managed to take that pic all by myself! (I can't give my lovely bride any extra chances to make fun of me by asking for her help...)

This is the first time I've carried this GP in months. My wife made me clean my side of the bed room and I found the holster I was stretching out for the belt. ADD stinks! I just knew that holster was somewhere in this house!

Lol'd.

OkieStubble

I AIWB almost exclusively. I have done so since summer 2008 or 2009. I have attended multiple classes with this method of carry.
I carry a Glock 35 -65%/Glock 19- 25%/1911- 11%/Glock 34- 9%.

I went to AIWB from primarily IWB for speed of presentation/uniformity of working off the center line with my hands/concealment relative to kids/parents contact when I was "coaching" my kids in all manner of sports v. hugging low so they have to go high and/or awkwardly blading the body away.

I used a kydex holster that will not collapse. I used purpose designed gun belts. My Glocks are all fitted with Striker Control Devices. I reholster reluctantly and slowly after sweeping the top of the holster with my support hand and shooting my hips out as I reholster with my primary hand keeping my trigger finger very high "in register" along the ejection port of the weapon.

As an related aside-if you want to seek how people draw from every position etc., go to youtube and look up active self protection.
He has amassed thousands of videos with "breakdowns' of each incident. You may not agree with his conclusions all of the time but it is clear that he has at least thought about what he is saying.

Three big take-a ways

1. you have to have a sub 2 second draw from concealment to center mass every time cold at 5 yrds or less to be able to take advantage of an opportunity to defend yourself if and when it presents itself

2. drawing against the drop when somebody already has their gun out without waiting for your opportunity is a almost sure road to failure.

3. Any weapon that you have on you that you are good with and works is better than the supposedly better one you left at home, in the car etc. v. being on your person.

Great post David. Concur on all three points. What say you, about comfortable appendix carry? where is the exact position for proper appendix carry? while I don't have a beer belly, I'm also not Mr. Olympia. I'm probably somewhere between the Greek God Adonis and a 'Dad Bod'. :)

It don't even have to be a full sized carry, my G43X pokes me in my upper thigh something fierce, when I sit, squat or bend over. Is appendix carry more directly over one's junk or what? I appendix carry my wife's LCP II all the time. :)

Lol'd. Your post exactly describes my carry also. I really like a 3 slotted pancake holster for OWB carry. It allows the forward cant for when I want to carry behind the hip and a different slot for a more, straight up 90 degree carry when I want to carry on the hip at 3 o'clock or more forward of the hip. My belt loops on my pants, usually has one right at the 3 o'clock position, so I put the belt loop in the middle and between the two loop cut outs on the holster.

I then can push and slide the front cut out on the holster, up against the belt loop on the hip which acts as a stop that postion's the holster and pistol itself at the 4 o'clock position. :)
Exactly how I'm wearing OWB today

proxy.php

OKS asks re the comfort of AIWB carry. My answer-"It depends."

I am 6'3'' 205 ish with a 44 inch chest and a 34 inch waist. Having a 8+ drop from chest to waist is helpful.

I tend to carry at the 1245-100 o'clock position. On many of my pants, the two snap loops on my holster splits the first belt loop on my pants. I am rt handed.

A purpose made AIWB holster with a quality belt is key. For Kydex, I have been using a Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy or a Keepers (I was a beta tester) holster. At present, I do not run any type of pad at the bottom of my holster. Many do with great success. I occasionally use leather. When I do I have a Sheriff of Baghdad holster for my glocks and a vintage G. William Davis for my 1911. For most applications, Kydex is better for most people most of the time given its ability to retain/release/remain open etc. Kydex is not as durable as leather.

My belts run the gamut from 2 layer leather to Wilderness 5 stitch to Graith/Mastermind Tactics. All were designed with carrying a gun in mind.

I find AIWB more comfortable in every way than IWB over even OWB if I spend any time in a car at all given the bolsters of the seats. I have driven 6-9 hours in a stretch with no issues whatsoever.

Ride height is a key to getting a master firing grip as the weapon is presented. I want it just above my beltline such that my knuckles do not contact my beltline and no higher. For me that is the sweet spot of concealment and access.

FarmerTan

OKS asks re the comfort of AIWB carry. My answer-"It depends."

I am 6'3'' 205 ish with a 44 inch chest and a 34 inch waist. Having a 8+ drop from chest to waist is helpful.

I tend to carry at the 1245-100 o'clock position. On many of my pants, the two snap loops on my holster splits the first belt loop on my pants. I am rt handed.

A purpose made AIWB holster with a quality belt is key. For Kydex, I have been using a Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy or a Keepers (I was a beta tester) holster. At present, I do not run any type of pad at the bottom of my holster. Many do with great success. I occasionally use leather. When I do I have a Sheriff of Baghdad holster for my glocks and a vintage G. William Davis for my 1911. For most applications, Kydex is better for most people most of the time given its ability to retain/release/remain open etc. Kydex is not as durable as leather.

My belts run the gamut from 2 layer leather to Wilderness 5 stitch to Graith/Mastermind Tactics. All were designed with carrying a gun in mind.

I find AIWB more comfortable in every way than IWB over even OWB if I spend any time in a car at all given the bolsters of the seats. I have driven 6-9 hours in a stretch with no issues whatsoever.

Ride height is a key to getting a master firing grip as the weapon is presented. I want it just above my beltline such that my knuckles do not contact my beltline and no higher. For me that is the sweet spot of concealment and access.
Awesome post. Answered a LOT of questions for me. I may have to make my wallet thinner!

Another well regarded AIWB Kydex Holster Source

A great resource re carrying AIWB

AIWB is very similar to what we called the “Pride” carry back 40-50 years ago. It was not very popular in my neck of the woods. You can see an example of this style on the tv show “Criminal Minds”; it is how Spencer Reed totes his S&W 2 1/2” Model 19. I was not/am not a fan.
21813AC5-860E-478D-BB8E-8D9D30412096.png

One style of carry which has been a favorite for a long time:
The shoulder rig. Yes, there are some disadvantages during warm weather but , hey...Sonny Crockett made it work😁.
Today’s setup of choice, Ruger SR1911
10mm in a Sam Andrews Monarch rig.
73AF6BA4-4F46-4858-94F9-24740EA4CB98.jpeg

FarmerTan

AIWB is very similar to what we called the “Pride” carry back 40-50 years ago. It was not very popular in my neck of the woods. You can see an example of this style on the tv show “Criminal Minds”; it is how Spencer Reed totes his S&W 2 1/2” Model 19. I was not/am not a fan.
View attachment 1218172
One style of carry which has been a favorite for a long time:
The shoulder rig. Yes, there are some disadvantages during warm weather but , hey...Sonny Crockett made it work😁.
Today’s setup of choice, Ruger SR1911
10mm in a Sam Andrews Monarch rig.
View attachment 1218173
That's the style I'm actually afraid of trying. Might be hard on the wallet.

Top Bottom