What's new

What was your carry today?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Exactly how I'm wearing OWB today

proxy.php

Is this right on your hip or is it considered 3:30?

OkieStubble

Exactly how I'm wearing OWB today

proxy.php

Is this right on your hip or is it considered 3:30?
Another well regarded AIWB Kydex Holster Source

A great resource re carrying AIWB

That 2nd link is awesome! Lots of good information.

OkieStubble

AIWB is very similar to what we called the “Pride” carry back 40-50 years ago. It was not very popular in my neck of the woods. You can see an example of this style on the tv show “Criminal Minds”; it is how Spencer Reed totes his S&W 2 1/2” Model 19. I was not/am not a fan.
View attachment 1218172
One style of carry which has been a favorite for a long time:
The shoulder rig. Yes, there are some disadvantages during warm weather but , hey...Sonny Crockett made it work😁.
Today’s setup of choice, Ruger SR1911
10mm in a Sam Andrews Monarch rig.
View attachment 1218173

Been looking at some shoulder holsters in the store. Saw a Galco the other day that was beautiful. As Dave said, @FarmerTan they are expensive.

In really cold weather, I have a couple of car coats, a leather coat and a pea coat who’s lengths go down to about mid thigh.

They are too low which make lifting them up in order to get to a belt gun difficult. I would think a shoulder holster which would allow a draw to be pulled from the top of the coat would be better.

But, this wouldn’t allow for the coat to be taken off, say, at a restaurant or somewhere?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Been looking at some shoulder holsters in the store. Saw a Galco the other day that was beautiful. As Dave said, @FarmerTan they are expensive.

In really cold weather, I have a couple of car coats, a leather coat and a pea coat who’s lengths go down to about mid thigh.

They are too low which make lifting them up in order to get to a belt gun difficult. I would think a shoulder holster which would allow a draw to be pulled from the top of the coat would be better.

But, this wouldn’t allow for the coat to be taken off, say, at a restaurant or somewhere?
Hence my dilemma (besides the cost). My vests won't cover a shoulder rig. But honestly, in a more "gun carried openly society" I would not hesitate to make the investment. I think my revolver would feel good close to my heart, and be readily drawn either standing or sitting.

I belong to a "Small Group" (at least that's the name they were called before "Thrive Group" LOL!) where we meet together and study and pray for one another on a loosely every two week schedule. I casually mentioned that I would not be a soft target inside a soft target, and explained what I meant. All the ladies present were very happy to learn that I carried in church. I know some folks more observant than others have probably hugged me without my seeing it coming, or perhaps seen my holster on my belt because my suit coat crept up, but no one has said anything about it, and I haven't been spreading that intel around. Nobody's business. The day they do speak up I'll find a new church, if I disagree with their opinion about guns in church.

My last go round as a deacon I was in charge of security, and part of the reason I'm not a deacon anymore is I didn't like the way the pastor saw security. One of my favorite qoutes is this: "The meek shall inherit the earth. In 3ft by 6ft plots."

I don't plan on standing in front of my Maker and gettin' yelled at because He had longer range earthly plans for me and I left my gun at home!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
At our church, the speaker said, "I don't want to know who's carrying."

😁 But he said it with a big smile - not a worried look!

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Oh...so you found this one? You need to find a Bren 10.

Just bite the bullet.

AIWB is very similar to what we called the “Pride” carry back 40-50 years ago. It was not very popular in my neck of the woods. You can see an example of this style on the tv show “Criminal Minds”; it is how Spencer Reed totes his S&W 2 1/2” Model 19. I was not/am not a fan.
View attachment 1218172
One style of carry which has been a favorite for a long time:
The shoulder rig. Yes, there are some disadvantages during warm weather but , hey...Sonny Crockett made it work😁.
Today’s setup of choice, Ruger SR1911
10mm in a Sam Andrews Monarch rig.
View attachment 1218173
I’m liking my shoulder rig more and more every time I use it! I originally Used it for when I was driving long distances, but anymore I prefer it everyday.

I’ll say this though, it’s the position I had to practice a lot to master. And it’s also my hardest rig to get off if need be.

OkieStubble

Oh...so you found this one? You need to find a Bren 10.

Just bite the bullet.

That's the one! :)

I’m liking my shoulder rig more and more every time I use it! I originally Used it for when I was driving long distances, but anymore I prefer it everyday.

I’ll say this though, it’s the position I had to practice a lot to master. And it’s also my hardest rig to get off if need be.

We need pics! :) Everyday? Do you strictly conceal it, or open carry with it also?

”Bite the bullet”?
Yo, go big or go home.
Andrews Monarch. Accept nothing less. You are MOST CERTAINLY worth it if the situation requires equipment which your well being may depend on.
Fun fact:
Milt Sparks does not make shoulder holsters. When someone calls them wanting to order one, Tony Kenealy merely refers them to Sam Andrews. Pretty solid endorsement I’d say.
PS...Price difference between the Galco and the Andrews Monarch rigs is less than $20😉
BA9E7B05-54D3-48A1-BD69-6BC44B8A2290.jpeg
395F4901-A7BF-4662-B691-09F5E5CB8E71.jpeg

Last edited:
@OkieStubble
just saw your earlier post regarding coats.
Here in Pig‘s Knuckle Appalachia layering is the order of the day. Earlier, I was wearing a Duluth Trading t-shirt. Over that a Duluth Trading heavy flannel shirt. On top, a Carhartt hooded canvas jacket. Beneath it all, an Andrews Monarch rig carrying a large 10mm 1911 Government. Got into the restaurant, lost the Carhartt. Flannel did a fine job of keeping everything very discreet. Temperature outside was high 30’s. Inside...probably 70’s. Easy peasy

That's the one! :)

We need pics! :) Everyday? Do you strictly conceal it, or open carry with it also?

On page 36 I threw up a picture of the rig. And because I generally always carry concealed, I don’t have many pics of it, but here’s one my buddy took of me when we were out on my lot burning stuff. You can clearly see it in the picture.

466DD635-B42E-412C-8A89-5CA3846F71A6.jpeg

Its for my G42 which weighs nothing. 17oz? You can’t feel it on at all. It’s really comfortable. In the summer I wear a T-shirt with the rig over that, and then a dress shirt over that. If you leave the buttons down a bit, it’s super easy to access. In the winter... well, it’s too easy.

The holster I have is the cheapest and made out of suede. I thought I’d try it in spite of everyone saying get the leather. I love the suede because it holds onto my shirts and keeps everything in place. If you sweat a ton or wear it next to your skin, as soft as it is, don’t buy it because it’ll absorb moisture and it is after all, under your pits!

And yeah no, I don’t wear it every day. What I should have said I wear it nearly every time I carry my 42 now. Which isn’t as often as it used to be being it competes with my 43 and my 442.

Last edited:
For those of you out there who may choose not to go the high end (even though it is the optimum path to follow) on shoulder rigs, there is an alternative:
Mitch Rosen makes a quite serviceable product. I own some Rosen leather and although (in my opinion) there is some better stuff out there, I am most comfortable with Rosen's gear. His Express lineup is alright for sure.
For $150 his "Stylemaster Express" will work well for many. I do have an issue with the metal tabs used to attach the holster and magazine pouch to the harness (as you can see on the Mitch Rosen website) but that's me. I replaced mine with conventional leather tabs and Chicago screws years ago. As a result, I was able to purchase additional holster components for a very reasonable price; the pouch properly fit all the magazines used for each pistol. Now the Rosen rig accommodates three different firearms: (SIG P229, S&W .45 Shield, Glock 26) with a few turns of a screwdriver. If you may not want to "Go big or go home", this is a great way to "Go medium sized or go to the motel".
IMG_2146.jpg

Top Bottom