What's new

17 year old son's first DE shave

I shaved once a week when I was in 7th grade, back then I could only grow a mustache, as I progressed through life it became more and more often. Now, at 24 I have a job that requires me to be clean shaven. I'm thankful I picked up traditional shaving at a young age, as cartridge razors tend to leave me looking like I attempted to shave with a pin cushion. I'm glad you were able to introduce your son to wet shaving, my father always enjoyed watching me straight shave. I'm glad I could offer him the opportunity to experience a straight shave before he passed away due to cancer.

Congrats on introducing your son to a gentlemanly art!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've made it four years with no arko, maybe I'm missing out, maybe I'm doing fine. I love PAA, maybe a christmas present?
Does he sell Arko, or make a "clone" of it? Oops. That's a SHTOOPID question, as Arko is cheap enough. Makes about as much sense as making counterfeit "Derby" blades!

My sad face above was on the realization that your father has passed away. I miss my Dad all the time, and I had him until I was in my 40's.

My son is now almost 21. I am proud to be his Dad. Lol, he tolerates me in all my weirdness!

FarmerTan

I just ordered three sticks of Arko today. I need to see what all the hype is about. By the descriptions I have read I'm thinking my son might like the scent.
It was love at first smell for me. You will not find a better performing soap at any price.

Does he sell Arko, or make a "clone" of it? Oops. That's a SHTOOPID question, as Arko is cheap enough. Makes about as much sense as making counterfeit "Derby" blades!

My sad face above was on the realization that your father has passed away. I miss my Dad all the time, and I had him until I was in my 40's.

My son is now almost 21. I am proud to be his Dad. Lol, he tolerates me in all my weirdness!
I appreciate the condolences. My father's passing was an unfortunate and an untimely event. He was only 57. I will look into an arko scent homage, my face is incredibly sensitive, and in addition my facial hair grows wildly and is sensitive to directional changes. Regardless of his early passing, Im very grateful for the time I spent with my father. He was a good man.

FarmerTan

I appreciate the condolences. My father's passing was an unfortunate and an untimely event. He was only 57. I will look into an arko scent homage, my face is incredibly sensitive, and in addition my facial hair grows wildly and is sensitive to directional changes. Regardless of his early passing, Im very grateful for the time I spent with my father. He was a good man.
No higher praise can a man hope for than that which you just typed my friend.

My dad was orphaned at the age of 8 or 9, so that had some bearing on his skills in fatherhood, but he did his best. And now that I'm 58 I realize that in MANY ways he did a better job than I did in raising my son. I mostly stayed out of God and my lovely bride's way in his raising. It seems so far that it may have been the smartest decision I ever made.

I’m envious of your experience. I had a daughter.

I do too.
When she started wanting to shave her legs, I was using carts, so that is what she started with, and used for years.
When I got into wet shaving earlier this year, she showed interest in trying it. So after I got a few other DE razors, and brushes, I let her borrow the VHD razor I started with, and gave her a few tucks I got in samplers, and a few soaps (Williams, and a stick of Arko), 3 brushes (a boar, a badger, and a synthetic) and a mug so she and could try it.
Turns out she enjoyed the wet shave style.
So she now has 3 vintage Lady Gillettes, and I bought her BF a VHD razor so I could get mine back.

I do too.
When she started wanting to shave her legs, I was using carts, so that is what she started with, and used for years.
When I got into wet shaving earlier this year, she showed interest in trying it. So after I got a few other DE razors, and brushes, I let her borrow the VHD razor I started with, and gave her a few tucks I got in samplers, and a few soaps (Williams, and a stick of Arko), 3 brushes (a boar, a badger, and a synthetic) and a mug so she and could try it.
So she now has 3 vintage Lady Gillettes, and I bought her BF a VHD razor so I could get mine back.
Too late for me. She’s 49 now.

FarmerTan

I do too.
It sounds to me like you are a man that is both blessed and a blessing.

FarmerTan

Well, it was a rough go when she was in her teens.
Being a single dad was not fun, but our relationship is much better now that she is out of the house.
Opposite sex thing? I ask because my son is driving my lovely War Department crazy sometimes (probably because they are MUCH alike!!!)

And I'm much more of a low key person. They are both driven, and I'm usually in "Park!" Seriously.

He is marrying soon, and will be leaving the best, so there is also that dynamic.

FarmerTan

Well, it was a rough go when she was in her teens.
Being a single dad was not fun, but our relationship is much better now that she is out of the house.
You have my utmost respect. Single parenting is extremely difficult. I have a dear friend who adopted a baby who is now around 10? He is now going it alone. And she is going to grow up absolutely beautiful, which won't make his life any easier, lol.

My son is incredibly handsome, unlike myself, I just pretend. He's honestly movie star good looking. I'm just smudged newspaper good looking!

I was always so admiring of the women that I was in nursing skool with. All of them, but most especially the single moms. Work full time, skool full time, parent full time. And they STILL kicked my butt on exams!

Opposite sex thing? I ask because my son is driving my lovely War Department crazy sometimes (probably because they are MUCH alike!!!)

And I'm much more of a low key person. They are both driven, and I'm usually in "Park!" Seriously.

He is marrying soon, and will be leaving the best, so there is also that dynamic.

Well, being opposite genders certainly was a factor, but the biggest issue was that her mother made it abundantly clear that our daughter had no place in her life many times over the years. She cut off all contact for about a decade. No birthday cards or gifts, no Christmas gifts. So that played a HUGE part in the issues my daughter had in her pre-teen and teenage years.

FarmerTan

Well, being opposite genders certainly was a factor, but the biggest issue was that her mother made it abundantly clear that our daughter had no place in her life many times over the years. She cut off all contact for about a decade. No birthday cards or gifts, no Christmas gifts. So that played a HUGE part in the issues my daughter had in her pre-teen and teenage years.
The desertion of a parent is... indescribable. And for me unrelatable, thank God.

My father abandoned us when I was about 13. The only difference is he still slept in the same house, we just never saw him. He was up at 5 AM and didn’t return until after 10 PM. On his days off he slept all the time he was there. We never did anything with him.

Top Bottom