What's new

17 year old son's first DE shave

When my oldest son started shaving a few years ago I started him with a Mach 3 with a custom turned handle. The other day when he let me know he was in need of cartridges again I jokingly told him that since he turns 18 in a few months that he should try a big boy shave with one of my DE's. Surprisingly he was all for it so last night we had a DE 101 session to get him started. He was planning to shower and shave this morning so I just did a demo for him with a brush and a new CBL soap that I got the other day. I set him up with my newish Roman Empire Shaving Caesar (from what I understand this is a EJ DE89 clone?) and a Gillette Silver Blue blade. I let him pick a soap from my small collection and he chose a Stirling sample of Weekend in Malibu.

When I left for work this morning I told him if he had any questions at all to just give me a call and that he should let me know how it all went. Just as I was pulling in to work he called and told me that by far it was the smoothest and cleanest shave he has ever had and that he really enjoyed it. No nicks, weepers, or razor burn. I'm pretty sure he is hooked. Now I just need to set him up with his own kit. He already has a stand with a custom turned spalted tamarind riser to match his Mach 3 handle. I may get a Yagi synthetic knot and turn a brush handle to match the stand as well as maybe turn a matching handle for what ever razor I set him up with. The Caesar seems to be pretty mild and if he continues to like it as he uses it more I may just stick with that for him.

I would invite recommendations for him.

First shave
Razor: Roman Empire Shaving Caesar
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: no name badger
Soap: Stirling Weekend in Malibu
AS: Nivea Aftershave Balm

Thats IMO a very solid set up so I would suggest to change NOTHING.

Although his first experience sounds very positive and you did a good job on teaching him the basics, let him develop a solid technique and then you can introduce him to other razors or software, but for now, I don't think he would need anything else.

If it were me I'd add some kind of astringent. An alum block is inexpensive and will provide feedback on the quality of his shaves as he learns and will help guide his technique. An aftershave splash would, of course, work as well.

I'd also consider another brush so that he can let his badger fully dry before using it again while still being able to shave every day should he need to. A Yaqi synthetic would be a fine choice.

Don't change the razor and blade for at least a month, so he develops his muscle memory. I like the La Toja shaving stick and an inexpensive synthetic brush such as the Yaqi Sagrada Familia for traveling (once things get a little more normal). I'd also add an alum stick or small bottle of witch hazel.

Woodwzrd, as rbscebu pointed out my son has untertaken a very similar journey. At 17 he snuck into my bathroom & borrowed my cheapest straight razor and had a go at it. He used caned goo as he previously had, but I guess wanted to see what Dad does. He had problems with the carts he had previously used, getting ingrowns and a so-so quality shave.

Shortly after I realised what was going on, it was his 18th birthday. I bought him some cheap and basic equipment so he could give it a go and see if it suited him. There's no point spending a fortune on top notch equipment if he's just going to use it for 3 or 4 shaves. I showed him how to wet shave and use a straight razor and in doing so lived every father's dream of teaching their son how to shave.

The basic equipment I purchased was a Chinese razor which comes, typically, in a Meh condition. As an experienced user I had no problems making it shave ready & infact used it with his new brush and soap. I had a great shave with it, so the equipment passed the test. Once he tries it out for a while it will be time to start stepping up the game. I have asked him to tell me when his next shave is, I'll give him a really nice Thiers Issard to try and see if he feels a difference.

My biggest issue is that he shaves infrequently and straight shaving demands a lot of practice initially (to build the muscle memory). He can shave daily or at least every second day, but usualy has an X day stubble. He does get a satisfaction of using the straight and comes proudly to me post shave asking me to feel how smooth his face is. I remember asking my Mum to feel my face 12 hours after a straight shave, saying it was like I had just used a cart except this is 12 hours post the shave (if that makes sense).

Enough babbling, the main thing is you encourage him and keep an knowledgeable eye on his progress and equipment. The fact that he reached out to take it on indicates he may have enough motivation to stick to it. Plus the better result and coolness factor will probably push him down the rabbit hole where we all dwell.

CONGRATULATIONS!! Both you and your son deserve a ton of credit!

Having someone to teach you how to shave is a great advantage! :a29: :a29:

Excellent setup. My only recommendation is to add styptic (note my name). Liquid, powder or stick whatever works for him.
He does not want to be late for a date while trying to stop a weeper or nick. Walking around with toilet paper stuck on his face is not a good look. Blood spots on a collar are not either.
You have set him up well. I hope he enjoys shaving for decades to come.

When my oldest son started shaving a few years ago I started him with a Mach 3 with a custom turned handle. The other day when he let me know he was in need of cartridges again I jokingly told him that since he turns 18 in a few months that he should try a big boy shave with one of my DE's. Surprisingly he was all for it so last night we had a DE 101 session to get him started. He was planning to shower and shave this morning so I just did a demo for him with a brush and a new CBL soap that I got the other day. I set him up with my newish Roman Empire Shaving Caesar (from what I understand this is a EJ DE89 clone?) and a Gillette Silver Blue blade. I let him pick a soap from my small collection and he chose a Stirling sample of Weekend in Malibu.

When I left for work this morning I told him if he had any questions at all to just give me a call and that he should let me know how it all went. Just as I was pulling in to work he called and told me that by far it was the smoothest and cleanest shave he has ever had and that he really enjoyed it. No nicks, weepers, or razor burn. I'm pretty sure he is hooked. Now I just need to set him up with his own kit. He already has a stand with a custom turned spalted tamarind riser to match his Mach 3 handle. I may get a Yagi synthetic knot and turn a brush handle to match the stand as well as maybe turn a matching handle for what ever razor I set him up with. The Caesar seems to be pretty mild and if he continues to like it as he uses it more I may just stick with that for him.

I would invite recommendations for him.

First shave
Razor: Roman Empire Shaving Caesar
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: no name badger
Soap: Stirling Weekend in Malibu
AS: Nivea Aftershave Balm

Just curious, how is he progressing with DE shaving? Your story fills me with hope for the future of DE shaving.

Just curious, how is he progressing with DE shaving? Your story fills me with hope for the future of DE shaving.
So far he has only shaved once but says he plans to stick with it. He was still talking about how smooth it was today. As of now he is only a once a week shaver and he usually only shaves Wednesdays because that is when he spends time with his girlfriend.

Top Bottom