What's new

Who makes a good bay rum?

Alternative title: Damn you, Clubman!

Bought a small bottle of Clubman bay rum off Amazon. Smells great! Does pretty good on my skin, too. Figured this is the one. Ordered a large bottle and... Cat pee! What is it with Clubman scents and the underlying cat pee aroma? I've decanted it into a 375ml Jack Daniels bottle (looks classy in the bathroom) but I still get that scent.

Who else makes a good bay rum?

I've tried Ogallala, which should be called CLOOOOOOOOVE! Also burns like hell. Also tried Stirling. Same thing, burns like hell. Tried Captain's Choice but it smells like dirt to me.

Anything else I should try?

Some more ideas...
Gabels, Master, Col Conk, Taylor of Old Bond Street, Avon, Royall.

I am sure others will offer more recommendations.

Thanks to everyone for pointing me toward PAA. Hadn't visited their site before. Now I've got a bunch of samples to order...

They have an aftershave that smells like Brylcreem? Amazing!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I love bay rum, and the cheaper the better. I've tried St Johns, Royall, and other more expensive bay rums but I really prefer the cheap, mild barber shop bay rums like Gabels and especially Stephans, which I buy in liter size bottles. Master smells good, but it feels sticky to me. Stephans is perfect. I haven't used any lately but when I get on a bay rum kick it might last for months or even years.

Thanks to everyone for pointing me toward PAA. Hadn't visited their site before. Now I've got a bunch of samples to order...

They have an aftershave that smells like Brylcreem? Amazing!
PAA Ck6 is the finest soap I've used, and I've used many. I have 20 or so examples of their soap. So grab some ck6 samples as well for comparison.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I would recommend these:

Barrister and Mann Bay Rum
Bootlegger's Bay Rum
Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
PAA Clasico Bay Rum
Chiseled Face Bay Rum

lots of bay rum options!
you'll have to experiment and see what you like best!!

bay rums.jpg

I hadn't heard of Bootlegger's before. I've got plenty of Pinaud so I ordered the other two ingredients to give mixing my own a try.

That bourbon product sounds interesting. I do love me some bourbon...

Bonny Doon Farms “Meehan’s Bay Rhum” is the best I have come across. It is pure, light, and unadulterated. Unfortunately, a tragedy in the West Indies along with some labor problems created a “perfect storm.” BDF can’t get the quality bay leaf anymore to make this stuff and what is left out in the wild is being “scalped.” The prices were slowly rising already. I’ve saw some bottles lately but the prices are not what they were several years ago. Supplies of this gem are drying up.

If you want a “punchier” bay rum “St. John’s Bay Rum” decanter in a net is an iconic classic. Doesn’t mean you’ll like it; but, it is well regarded by bay rum enthusiasts. I would not put it in the league of Meehan’s bay...it is just another “classic” iteration.

WSP's Bay Rum (in their scented or order AS options: mentholated or non) is solid. Description from their website:

"A true classic. We based our bay rum off of a two century old recipe we found. Combining all the true classic bay rum scents, we went truly old school with this blend. Using only essential oils, this is what bay rum is supposed to smell like. Notes of: West Indies bay leaf, rum, lime, cinnamon, & allspice."

Before I even got into wet shaving, I used Pinaud bay rum. It's a classic scent. Since coming into the wet shaving world, I have found PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum. I have PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum shaving soap and PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum aftershave/Cologne. It's far better than Pinaud bay rum in my opinion; smells far better. If you like bay rum, PAA is a brand you need to get familiar with. PAA experiments with bay rum scents in many ways. I'm curious to try PAA Boomtown Bay Rum. There are several twists on bay rum at PAA. Give them a try; PAA makes high quality products.

Just to add onto the above comment, PAA just released their seasonal "Space Nog", which is Atomic Age Bay Rum, somehow combined with Egg Nog scent. I have never tried before, but I hear it is epic. Ordered a bottle.

Top Bottom