What's new

show us your Lighters

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
[QUOTE="The Count of Merkur Cristo, post: 10951280, member: Today, I 'pulled the trigger' and am waiting on a brand new 1998 (22yrs old), Zippo Cigar Aficionado Zippo lighter in original tin, with instructions and UPC code (silver finish with the CA plaque and tobacco leaves ‘engraved’ [oh yeah Baby!!] on the front)
proxy.php

View attachment 1169667

After postal receipt...I'll replace the standard Zippo liquid gas insert with a Thunderbird - Butane, blue torch, clear bottom tank Insert.

Also, I'll get it engraved with my initials on the front & my birth date and the quote...To Smoke is Human; To Smoke cigars is Divine

Update!!
I’ll post a few pics after I get the engraving done! 📸

proxy.php
[Zippo..]"Always works—or we fix it". Zippo lighter slogan since 1937
[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you smoke but, even for others here, there is also a duo torch/soft flame Thunderbird insert.

Zippo Polished Brass Engraved Game Of Thrones “Armor” 5 Sided Lighter

Had to snag this one. Incredible and intricate detail on ALL 5 sides. I have seen designs and engravings; but, nothing of this magnitude. Too special and it is an “armor” version to boot. From afar. I won’t get this lighter in the mail for awhile...here are some images:
B7A5BECB-16D4-49B5-A8FE-0B7CE3609701.jpegDFDEF197-FAB7-414B-8261-0C3960CB738C.jpeg53E5BB11-12DE-4A29-B5C1-96D2705D4B57.jpeg68C4A2BB-4568-48A4-9F62-C4565E25640F.jpeg3B1558D3-C23C-4E43-A00A-0D33EDF117B2.jpeg07E9C6C3-9815-4B01-8E30-389B4705F8F2.jpeg

Zippo Polished Brass Engraved Game Of Thrones “Armor” 5 Sided Lighter

Had to snag this one. Incredible and intricate detail on ALL 5 sides. I have seen designs and engravings; but, nothing of this magnitude. Too special and it is an “armor” version to boot. From afar. I won’t get this lighter in the mail for awhile...here are some images:
View attachment 1172618View attachment 1172619View attachment 1172620View attachment 1172621View attachment 1172622View attachment 1172623

Saw one that was the “4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse”. Wishing I would have snagged it now. Engraving on all sides

Saw one that was the “4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse”. Wishing I would have snagged it now. Engraving on all sides

I would have liked to seen that one. Isn’t that the way things like that always go.

Hesitating/procrastinating, etc. we always figure we can catch back up with whatever later...I’ve done this same thing too countless times and get disgusted with myself later for not acting. Almost did the same here. Difference was this time I searched the web for identical lighters and could not find a one. Made me think twice about backing out even though I wanted to delay buying it for now. Which usually means I will forget about it and when I remember it is adios amigo!

I suppose you can find no trace of that lighter now, huh?

The new armor one I just bought reminds of a “Where’s Waldo” image except with “Game of Thrones” theme/lore. It is just packed with images.

Last edited:
All you that have posted Dunhills, how bad is the fix on well used ones? I understand their O ring is often their weak point but I’ve never worked with a pressure fill system. Anything else to look out for/warning signs?

They look very cool but I’d probably have to get a well loved one.

Well, ya just had to get me goin’ didn’t ya? I started searching a little deeper on that lighter you spoke of and found 3 different lighter finishes for that Zippo “Four Horseman Of The Apocalypse.” One was a Sterling Silver with a price to match. Although, it was marked down 10%. Another was an Armor series. The last example looked like a standard finish silver and black. There are still some of these lighters out in the wild.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Looks like this “Old Boy” got ripped off and I thought I got a deal at nearly 50% off. Like most things I purchased these days there seems to be multiple reasons I do not have the product in my hot little hands yet. I ordered another item which was a special order along with my new Old Boy lighter and that little item is holding up the show anywhere from 1-3 weeks I am told. Wasn’t planning on buying this Old Fellow; but, if you know how it goes....I got an offer I could not refuse. And I still feel I got “skinned.” These lighters have a good reputation though of lasting a good long while and can be repaired. Worth it...I dunno...too late and too soon to tell.

IM Corona Old Boy LOTY MOP
View attachment 1171343

Nice torch. You did well. It’s hard to go wrong with a Corona. A Dunhill or Dupont is a wonderful heirloom caliber lighter. Some are works of art. But they cost an arm and a leg, and do need occasional service.

A Corona looks nearly as beautiful, and is a more dependable everyday lighter, IMO, for 1/4 the cost.

I’ve got about a dozen lighters of all calibers for pipes and sticks. From Zippos and Xicars up to some nice gold ones. But I always keep coming back to my trusty Corona Pipemaster and Old Boy with the pipes. They just work, every time, all the time. For years and years.

The trick with any butane torch is the fuel. Feed a good lighter good fuel and it will last. On a Corona flint model, be sure to use Corona flints. They are worth the extra dollar or so a pack.

Nice torch. You did well. It’s hard to go wrong with a Corona. A Dunhill or Dupont is a wonderful heirloom caliber lighter. Some are works of art. But they cost an arm and a leg, and do need occasional service.

A Corona looks nearly as beautiful, and is a more dependable everyday lighter, IMO, for 1/4 the cost.

I’ve got about a dozen lighters of all calibers for pipes and sticks. From Zippos and Xicars up to some nice gold ones. But I always keep coming back to my trusty Corona Pipemaster and Old Boy with the pipes. They just work, every time, all the time. For years and years.

The trick with any butane torch is the fuel. Feed a good lighter good fuel and it will last. On a Corona flint model, be sure to use Corona flints. They are worth the extra dollar or so a pack.
All good advice and information. Thank you for the chiming in with the reassurance. Sometimes a person needs to sit back and weigh in on a reality check/sanity check after laying down that type of skin for a lighter. And at that moment I did feel a bit skinned. Probably to be expected. Just was one of those lighter deals that I just couldn’t pass up.

Still haven’t got the elusive little devil yet. Ordered another item along with this lighter that had to be special ordered 1-3 weeks. I figure the result is my lighter being held hostage until that time.

Appears to me millions and millions of verified IM Corona users around the world would agree with you. Many, many stellar testimonies on the Corona lighters and their longevity. It is likely a piece you’ll have for a lifetime unless lost or stolen or some other unfortunate mishap. These lighters have an excellent track record to say the least.

I read about how it is recommended the lighter be fitted with genuine IM Corona flints. It isn’t worth testing the veracity of those statements. Even if I got enough Zippo flints to outlive me.

You’re right on about having quality butane fuel also. After agonizing and going through as much documentation as I could on butane I settled for the “Whip-It!” brand premium butane. Mostly because I have done research in the past on some of their other products such as their whipped cream gas and dispensers.

The Whip-It brand has a huge presence in the culinary arts. Their products are constantly being used in food service environments and as a result have gone through rigorous testing and certification processes.

There are enough butane sellers, information, testimonies, merchandising, marketing, advertising, etc. out there to make your head spin. Luckily, as I was shopping for some Whip-It butane I found they were running a buy one get one free program. Whip-It already have one of the largest cans of butane on the market if not the largest at 420ml. Along with some other considerations including their reputation in the food service industry it was not too difficult a decision for me to just buy a case/12 bottles. I reckon I’ll be set with butane for the foreseeable future if not forever; especially, given that Corona lighters have longer lasting refill intervals.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
... I reckon I’ll be set with butane for the foreseeable future if not forever; especially, given that Corona lighters have longer lasting refill intervals.

Some do. Depends on the model. The Pipemaster is a much more convenient lighter than an Old Boy. One quick button press and you’re lighting up. Compact and sleek. It’s not going to catch on anything, either. The perfect travel torch. A pipe lighting tool of perfect efficiency. But a fill on a Pipemaster is only going to go half as far as that on an Old Boy. I have a soft spot for my ever-faithful Pipemaster.

If I were ever forced to just one pipe lighter, it would be my Pipemaster ... and a Czech tool.

I have an even sleeker gold Corona flint model, a really classy flip top model (I forget the name, and I don’t think Corona makes it anymore), that goes even less on a fill. I’d be refilling it every other day as a daily lighter. But it’s a gorgeous evening suit or tuxedo carry.

An Old Boy is more of an experience. It’s best habitat is aside the easy chair, where there is time to appreciate the gestalt of flipping it open, spinning it around, firing it up, lighting a bowl, and snapping it shut. That one can go a long way on a fill.

If you enjoy the ritual of pipe lighting, you will greatly enjoy the Old Boy. Get a classy freestanding tamper if you want the full chair-side luxury piping experience. The built-in tampers are more for an emergency in my book.

Try and get a spare fill cap for yours. They’re cheap, and sometimes get lost or beat up over time. Tip: all the fill caps fit all the Coronas that use one. I know, because I have 3 or 4 Coronas with fill caps.

If you enjoy the ritual of pipe lighting, you will greatly enjoy the Old Boy. Get a classy freestanding tamper if you want the full chair-side luxury piping experience. The built-in tampers are more for an emergency in my book.
That is what I was thinking. I do not think I want to use that built in tamper unless necessary.
Try and get a spare fill cap for yours. They’re cheap, and sometimes get lost or beat up over time. Tip: all the fill caps fit all the Coronas that use one. I know, because I have 3 or 4 Coronas with fill caps.
I saw those caps around. Are those caps that easy to lose? I read about people losing them somehow. This lighter is one staying close to home.
If I were ever forced to just one pipe lighter, it would be my Pipemaster ...
I saw a couple those around too. Who knows....I did not plan on buying the Old Boy when I did.

Here are a couple more of my Zippos,
and the bottom of my father’s. I gathrr it’s not the Armored. I think I saw a stylized “a” on an Armored earlier in the thread. I weighed it and the difference between the plated and painteds is probably all I was noticing.
image.jpg

91DFC5AF-407D-45C3-B56E-53CB0FAAC14C.jpeg
678CD654-232A-403C-8869-F6915D4D0E31.jpeg

If I were ever forced to just one pipe lighter, it would be my Pipemaster ...
Well, you talked me into a Pipemaster. Do I need it...NO! What’s one more lighter added to a growing collection anyway? These IM Corona lighters are high quality at an attractive price. A person could do a lot worse...here’s the one I settled on.
IM Corona Pipemaster Chrome Engine Turned Briar Wood
3D051B8B-DEA3-46A9-B302-4D1EA96F7A48.jpeg

Top Bottom