What's new

My Grande Journey

Want to is a bit bold lol. A few come to my mind though. Captain's Choice 45th Parallel and Lime lead the pack. Stirling Black Cherry is another and either Cella Bio or Vitos for the icing on top? lol

We need a test subject! @Raven Koenes! :001_tongu

I'm told that in Turkey, slices of Arko stick on cherry tomatoes garnished with basil is called "gwrzic blvruga", which can be roughly translated to "poor man's caprese".

I've not tried it myself, but it sounds both intriguing.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not Wickham’s Club Cola for a lemon meringue?

Yep, that one too!

I'm in with the exception of Cella...Cella and CBL Monkey Puck. I'ma not going there.

How about........

Screenshot_2020-10-16 MONKEY'S PAW Soap Banana Coconut Scent Shave Soap Body Bar Shampoo Puck.png

Heres one for Thom haha.

Screenshot_2020-10-16 BUFFALO BILL Soap Leather Scent Shave Soap Beard Wash Body Bar.png

Humphrey's Handmade.

I've not tried it myself, but it sounds both intriguing.

I might still have a hundred or so Cherry tomatoes left on my plants. I also have a cheese slicer and a puck of Arko. C'mon over before we have a frost and give er a go. I'll take pictures for Rave lol.

Interestingly, it turns out that a more accurate translation of "gwrzic" is "unfortunate" rather than poor in the economic sense. The Turkish people are known for their penchant for understatement. A Turk describing something as "unfortunate", is very similar to a Russian describing something as "unlucky" (e.g. Chernobyl or the Battle of Stalingrad). Probably nothing to worry about. I'd try it if I could. Sadly I haven't enough Arko left my shave stick for even a single serving.

My shave den is bare, save for some Stirling croap samples that I'm converting into triple milled pucks with a pasta noodle maker and pasta milling roller machine.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I might still have a hundred or so Cherry tomatoes left on my plants. I also have a cheese slicer and a puck of Arko. C'mon over before we have a frost and give er a go. I'll take pictures for Rave lol.

Perfect! I'll bring the pasta equipment and we can try some making some noodles for a main course as well. If you have a fougere (French for "fern"), we might be able to make something akin to a pasta verde?

Edit: I spoke with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and they indicated that the pasta equipment is welcome to cross the border, but I am not. I'll have to take a raincheck until normalcy returns... 😋

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Perfect! I'll bring the pasta equipment and we can try some making some noodles for a main course as well. If you have a fougere (French for "fern"), we might be able to make something akin to a pasta verde?

Edit: I spoke with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and they indicated that the pasta equipment is welcome to cross the border, but I am not. I'll have to take a raincheck until normalcy returns... 😋
Save time, I can help!
121233857_3674858832546825_1496445397519787392_n.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The deaths head moth is a sublime touch. Is the post-shave like being in new skin?

With a glycerine content as high as it likely is, it very well might.

If you have a fougere (French for "fern"), we might be able to make something akin to a pasta verde?

Edit: I spoke with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and they indicated that the pasta equipment is welcome to cross the border, but I am not. I'll have to take a raincheck until normalcy returns...

I do! Theres one that grows at the side of my garage. If you slip past the RC's next year early enough you might even get some Fiddleheads! The Cherry tomatoes might be tough chewing that early though haha.

Hey! Rave cooks! lol

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interestingly, it turns out that a more accurate translation of "gwrzic" is "unfortunate" rather than poor in the economic sense. The Turkish people are known for their penchant for understatement. A Turk describing something as "unfortunate", is very similar to a Russian describing something as "unlucky" (e.g. Chernobyl or the Battle of Stalingrad). Probably nothing to worry about. I'd try it if I could. Sadly I haven't enough Arko left my shave stick for even a single serving.

My shave den is bare, save for some Stirling croap samples that I'm converting into triple milled pucks with a pasta noodle maker and pasta milling roller machine.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Assuming you're serious...
  1. Why?
  2. It sounds very BOSC.
  3. How are you going to make it into a properly shaped puck? Grate and press?
  4. All experiments are encouraged.
  5. Why both machines?
  6. Why?
  7. #s 1 & 6 don't necessarily have to agree, according to Big Nurse.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike, how are you ranking your various razors now? Noticed you are using a Slim some.

Happy shaves,

Jim

#1: MMOC
#2 Grande/Feather/Derby Extra
#3: Bullet Tip
#4-#10: Most others.
#11: Crooked Italian. :ohmy:
#12: R41.

Maybe once every couple months I'll use a different razor but the top 3 carry 99% of the load.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
#1: MMOC
#2 Grande/Feather/Derby Extra
#3: Bullet Tip
#4-#10: Most others.
#11: Crooked Italian. :ohmy:
#12: R41.

Maybe once every couple months I'll use a different razor but the top 3 carry 99% of the load.

Thanks, Mike.

Slim in #4-#10 range?

You must not know how to use the Italian Fox?

Just kidding on not knowing how...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks, Mike.

Slim in #4-#10 range?

You must not know how to use the Italian Fox?

Just kidding on not knowing how...

I tried it on #4 once and got no where. I mostly use it on #7 and #9 but hearing about many using it on #1 has me curious. I'll try the lower settings as soon as you get a battery and load up a new Fusion cartridge haha.

Assuming you're serious...
  1. Why?
  2. It sounds very BOSC.
  3. How are you going to make it into a properly shaped puck? Grate and press?
  4. All experiments are encouraged.
  5. Why both machines?
  6. Why?
  7. #s 1 & 6 don't necessarily have to agree, according to Big Nurse.

Happy shaves,

Jim

1. Why? I exclusively face lather these days, so I greatly prefer hard soaps to croaps. Croaps tend to smear, waste product, and make lathering a chore rather than a joy. The primary difference between the croaps and soaps is water content. Those two machines are meant to increase surface area to expedite evaporation. My goal is to turn slimy, squishy croaps into beautiful hard soaps.
  2. It sounds very BOSC. It wasn't originally. I think that it started to become BOSC when I developed a tool for measuring soap durometer in order to measure progress (the dovometer™). Sometimes, I just stand in front of the mirror with Arko in one hand, and my dovometer™ in the other, and the whiskers just fall off their own accord. It's like they lose their will to fight in the presence of BOSC-force or something. It seldom works for me, but it's intriguing. This is also how David Goggins shaves I'm told.
  3. How are you going to make it into a properly shaped puck? Grate and press? I'm going to squash it and crush it into shave stick tubes with my bare hands. I want savagery imbued throughout every gram of soap. A frightened soap is a terrified whisker.
  4. All experiments are encouraged. I'm doing proof of concept experiments before buying the pasta equipment. I just finished my first croap-to-soap experiment. I used a rolling pin to flatten a Stirling sample to 2mm, and then hung the sample on a clothes hanger for 6 weeks. It didn't really work as well as I'd hoped. It only lost 3g of water weight in 6 weeks. That said, all of my samples are measurably firmer. Anything below 4mm on the dovometer is too soft for a shave stick, and leaving soap out to air dry did make 2 out of the 4 samples stick-worthy. Stirling was a probably a poor choice, because I think they add oils in post-processing, and these make the soap soft, but can't be evaporated out.
  5. Why both machines? I watched a number of YouTube vids about the machinery used to make triple milled soaps. The first stage of milling is squashing the soap with enormous pressure between steel rollers, forming it into sheets. The second stage is an extruder that pelletizes the soap. These two machines are the closest I could find at my sub $100 price target. Also, two machines makes it more fun, and therefore more scientific.
  6. Why? Because 90% of soaps available are croaps, and I hate them. I hate them so much. Someone had to do something.
  7. #s 1 & 6 don't necessarily have to agree, according to Big Nurse. That's tautology Jim, and I don't even know what that word means.

Last edited:
Top Bottom