What's new

My Grande Journey

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Black Friday might make your pending soap-buying binge go further. In the meantime, you can get a kilo of Cella shipped from amzn for about $35USD. Cella tallow is Nature’s Vitos.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have not. I have however, just had a look at it and it looks perfect.

View attachment 1145495

However, when I drop a blade on the cap this is where it sits. Its equal on both sides and the blade itself appears to be sitting level.

View attachment 1145496

After I screw the handle on and seat the blade, then unscrew it and try to take the blade off, this is what happens.

View attachment 1145494

It binds on the threads in the stud and gets stuck which doesnt make a lot of sense because the OD of the threads on the stud are .0173" and the ID of the center hole in the blade is .2". That should leave enough wiggle room for the blade to both drop on and come off the cap easily. I even dropped the cap with the blade seated like in the picture above and it still didnt come off.

My thinking is, if the blade can bind when seated, it can also bind as its being seated. If that were to happen, the edge would have an unnatural bend in it which would lead to the scraping feeling.

With my FOCS the blade goes on smoothy and easily and comes off smoothly and easily.

Perhaps it doesn't matter. Perhaps once the blade is pushed into and locked into place the slight misalignments of the posts are immaterial to the shave. Or not. I really don't know.

Bull**** Warning.png

I like the FOCS, a lot. That doesn't mean that other guys shouldn't use razors more perfect for them or more suitable for their skin, beard, technique, or whatever. It doesn't mean the FOCS is the perfect razor. It doesn't mean you should like it.

It's interesting that the FOCS has really clicked for so many guys and not clicked at all for others. I have not idea why and why not.

SV is the soap by which all others are compared. It easily surpasses my other soaps and creams. Wickham is pretty close though. Vitos cant touch it.

Mike, as you may remember I like SV and 1912 just fine or better than just fine, but I'd say the opposite: Neither can touch Vitos Red.

Actually, that's not a fair statement for me to make as I can only talk about what I like and what works for me. I have no idea how Vitos Red or any other soap works or doesn't work for anyone but me. There are many good to excellent soaps and few terrible soaps (in my experience of course). Then, there's Tabac which should be banned (for its odor).

Admittedly, I don't like the marzipan scent of Vitos Red, but leaving a chunk of the soap out in the open air for a week or so gets rid of the chemical scent leaving only a very very faint coconut scent (basically no scent). What I like is the shave qualities and the shave results and the fact that it doesn't hurt my skin. There is no soap I've tried which gives me better shaves than Vitos.

1602685023629.png

Someone, probably several gentlemen, mentioned spending money and wasting money. On soaps? Goodness gracious! If we added up all the money all the members of B&B have spent on soaps which are now sitting unused on shelves and in drawers and boxes could we retire the national debt?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
😲 :blink::blush:

Ouch. For that kind of money, I think I'll save my pennies for some SV Cubebe. I've never tried it, but it's on my bucket list. :)

The shave den is bare now that I'm at the end of my 3017ing project, so I don't mind spending a bit to rebuild moral. Presently, I'm down to the last inch of an Arko stick, some Stirling samples curing as part of an experiment, and a puck of Mogno (currently in transit), which Marko has recently reviewed glowingly.

$29CAD, thats about $8USD right? lol

SV is good stuff and one tub will last years so pick the scent accordingly.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
With my FOCS the blade goes on smoothy and easily and comes off smoothly and easily.

Perhaps it doesn't matter. Perhaps once the blade is pushed into and locked into place the slight misalignments of the posts are immaterial to the shave. Or not. I really don't know.

View attachment 1168383

I like the FOCS, a lot. That doesn't mean that other guys shouldn't use razors more perfect for them or more suitable for their skin, beard, technique, or whatever. It doesn't mean the FOCS is the perfect razor. It doesn't mean you should like it.

It's interesting that the FOCS has really clicked for so many guys and not clicked at all for others. I have not idea why and why not.

Mike, as you may remember I like SV and 1912 just fine or better than just fine, but I'd say the opposite: Neither can touch Vitos Red.

Actually, that's not a fair statement for me to make as I can only talk about what I like and what works for me. I have no idea how Vitos Red or any other soap works or doesn't work for anyone but me. There are many good to excellent soaps and few terrible soaps (in my experience of course). Then, there's Tabac which should be banned (for its odor).

Admittedly, I don't like the marzipan scent of Vitos Red, but leaving a chunk of the soap out in the open air for a week or so gets rid of the chemical scent leaving only a very very faint coconut scent (basically no scent). What I like is the shave qualities and the shave results and the fact that it doesn't hurt my skin. There is no soap I've tried which gives me better shaves than Vitos.

View attachment 1168396

Someone, probably several gentlemen, mentioned spending money and wasting money. On soaps? Goodness gracious! If we added up all the money all the members of B&B have spent on soaps which are now sitting unused on shelves and in drawers and boxes could we retire the national debt?

Happy shaves,

Jim

no_bullshit_wp.jpg

Thinking about that crooked Italian makes my head hurt. I just cant figure out what the problem with the blade or cap is. Frustration is too high a price for me to pay when I have other great razors at my finger tips. Thats not to say I wont try it again, I'm sure I'll get bored enough at some point haha.

My soap order is this:

1: SV
2: Wickham
3: CRS/Cella/Vitos/CC

All are close together but SV is above them all, if not always by much. I'm not really sure which tier Southern Witchcrafts is in yet but its a very nice soap.

4: Everything else.
5: Tabac.

Using the samples Al sent myself and Wes while we all compare them has slowed my orientation with my newer soaps but I'll get to them in good time. I do find myself missing Cella and Vitos, even if I can only tell them apart by scent strength and, oddly, Arko?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I gotta admit, it is reminiscent of that. It's also more than that too. It doesnt smell like anything you might, even remotely, want to ingest lol.

It really isn't a terrible scent and it's a surprisingly good soap.

Soaps I'd want to eat? I can think of only one, a GD citrus scent (like the world's best tasting and best smelling orange it is). Some soaps taste horrible if a tad gets in my mouth, but some don't. Why? I have no idea. I'm not taste testing Arko.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

That's why I did the sample PIF to palm some of it off onto other people 🤣 That said, I don't have actually much soap compared to many on here. The purchase cost of all my soaps added together (not counting samples) probably doesn't even reach £100, and should serve me for many years. I just have to use the shorter lived ones first :p

1 unopened cream
1 soap with only 1/4 left, with a replacement waiting
4 soaps with about 2/3 to 3/4 left (the ones we're trialling together)
About 8 or 9 shave sticks

Aside from a few bought samples, that's it! It's still a few thousand shaves in waiting though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That's why I did the sample PIF to palm some of it off onto other people 🤣 That said, I don't have actually much soap compared to many on here. The purchase cost of all my soaps added together (not counting samples) probably doesn't even reach £100, and should serve me for many years. I just have to use the shorter lived ones first :p

1 unopened cream
1 soap with only 1/4 left, with a replacement waiting
4 soaps with about 2/3 to 3/4 left (the ones we're trialling together)
About 8 or 9 shave sticks

Aside from a few bought samples, that's it! It's still a few thousand shaves in waiting though.

I'm pretty sure you made a mistake. Didn't you mean to say £1000?

I think there's a B&B rule which states all members must buy at least £1000 worth of soap in their first six months of membership. Yes, I realize most members far exceed that amount.

Including me of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm pretty sure you made a mistake. Didn't you mean to say £1000?

I think there's a B&B rule which states all members must buy at least £1000 worth of soap in their first six months of membership. Yes, I realize most members far exceed that amount.

Including me of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I wouldn't even be approaching half that if you included every razor, blade, brush and bowl :biggrin: I don't do so well in conforming to group expectations :lol:

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Not Wickham’s Club Cola for a lemon meringue? I hear its residual slickness makes stomach pumping almost pleasant.

This one looks like they want people hospitalized:

Naturally, I’m a fan of unscented or non-edible scents

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Not Wickham’s Club Cola for a lemon meringue? I hear its residual slickness makes stomach pumping almost pleasant.

This one looks like they want people hospitalized:

Naturally, I’m a fan of unscented or non-edible scents
I'm not about to taste no Monkey Puck.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Want to is a bit bold lol. A few come to my mind though. Captain's Choice 45th Parallel and Lime lead the pack. Stirling Black Cherry is another and either Cella Bio or Vitos for the icing on top? lol

We need a test subject! @Raven Koenes! :001_tongu
I'm in with the exception of Cella...Cella and CBL Monkey Puck. I'ma not going there.

Top Bottom