What's new

My Grande Journey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I forgot to mention the handle.

Grande Length: 81.45mm - 12.25mm thick at the widest point.
Slant Length: 80.95mm - 11.95 at the widest point.

Stud Length
Grande: 12.27mm
Slant: 11.92mm

Any difference I feel must be imaginary.

That reads as though you found a razor to suit your technique, rather than honed your technique to suit the razor.

When I started DE shaving in my late teens (early 1990's), there was one DE razor option. There was one blade option too. I had to figure out a way of making them work, and then I stuck with that combo for the next 20 years, with occasional brief diversions into cartridges - mainly due to them being presents. I'd use them till the included blades ran out, then go back to DE.

Now, my DE preferences are influenced by those 20 years with that one combo. The combo I'm currently using at the moment, the black plastic Wilkie Classic razor and Wilkie blades. Learning a different type of razor entirely (shavette/straight, etc), is easier than trying to unlearn 20 years of mental programming for a conventional DE that doesn't suit how I shave. I can make adjustments to angle, and minor changes like that, but the Grande would have needed an entirely different shaving approach, with a type of razor that "should" fit everything I'd learned about shaving - but didn't.

If I'd have started with a Grande 30 years ago, I would have learnt differently, but now, I don't want to "corrupt" my style of shaving, by having to develop techniques which would totally ruin a shave with my regular kit.
That reads as though you found a razor to suit your technique, rather than honed your technique to suit the razor.
Yes the first time I read Mike’s the razor that suits your style, I knew that was exactly what I was doing and looking for. The Grande was a lock for me.

If I'd have started with a Grande 30 years ago, I would have learnt differently, but now, I don't want to "corrupt" my style of shaving, by having to develop techniques which would totally ruin a shave with my regular kit.
I really don’t know if I have all my style yet. I have been on a fairly steep learning curve for over a year. Since the Grande I am just starting to feel I might be levelling out a little on the curve. I wouldn’t mind coasting for a bit. I feel that I am on that threshold. My shaves certainly have morphed into a good place for me.

I forgot to mention the handle.

Grande Length: 81.45mm - 12.25mm thick at the widest point.
Slant Length: 80.95mm - 11.95 at the widest point.

Stud Length
Grande: 12.27mm
Slant: 11.92mm

Any difference I feel must be imaginary.
:w00t: Dimensions to one hundredth of a millimeter! I bet Fatip don't know about that sort of stuff. :laugh:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Good. The Bad & The Crooked Italian.

The Grande was a lock for me.

A timely post. I'll work my way back to that.

When did I shave last?
Crooked Italian, fresh Derby Extra.
Club Cola.
The Brush.

On the first stroke, I knew. I knew I didnt know and became more unsure as the shave went.

Typical three pass. No issues, no surprises, nothing different. Entire shave done steep, all comb.

Before I finished my right cheek I felt it. I felt it on every stroke thereafter growing more and more aware of it.

As the blade is torqued, it essentially curls. As it curls, the angle of edge to skin changes. I became keenly aware of that and it very much reminded me of my last shave with my Regent and a Perma-Sharp. When I'm shaving I can feel exactly where that change takes place, about mid width of the edge. It stops slicing and it starts scraping. It was frustrating because I cant control the angle of use to minimize that scraping feeling. It was there on my second pass S>N and it was there on my ATG pass and the clean up done after it.

With my Grande, the blades edge is a flat linear surface. I can control that angle of edge to skin because its shaving a (mostly) flat linear surface. With this thing I just cant because I'm not shaving a half concave surface. One area it did do really well was the 2 sq in area I mentioned the other day at the junction of my left jawline and corner of my chin shaving S>N. Because I can push my razor into my skin so easily there, I am shaving an area thats concave and uneven.

I said somewhere in the pages of this forum that I wasnt convinced the slant idea was anything more than a gimmick and I cant find where I said it but I was prepared to eat my words yet again. I remain unconvinced.

Compared to my Grande I find it equally smooth and arguably more efficient. I say that because I think it is more efficient but that efficiency comes at a price of comfort in my shave. Not that its uncomfortable or painful or anything of the like, it is not. Its just that I cant keep the entire width of the edge at the angle I prefer and because of that I cant make the blade disappear like I can my Grande.

I didnt see any waviness in the edge and I dont feel any waviness but I can, distinctly, feel the angle of the edge change in relation to my skin shaving as I normally do.

All of that said, does it give a good shave? No. It gives a great shave. Feeling S>N on my left cheek and jawline, which is notoriously difficult to BBS, its BBS and it didnt take long getting there either. I got there quicker by using the center of the blade by feel to buff that area knowing it would shave more efficiently because I could feel the blade so easily. Its the same reason why my R41 BBS's that area better than anything else I've used, even my MMOC. It shaves that area more efficiently because the blade angle is steep in relation to the skin. Comfort however, was still the sacrifice. Theres a differece between slicing the hair from the skin, and even below skin level, than there is scraping it off. Planer blades dont scrape. They cut. Scraper blades scrape. There is a difference.

I may get use to the feeling of the torqued blade, I dont know. The end results are as good as my Grande and I did get there a little quicker but I still did 3 passes and a single clean up. The exact same shave as my Grande.

I even stopped to think about the handle mid shave because I didnt really notice it. It feels different, neither better or worse, just different.

Oh yeah. Is it a lock for me? Not yet it aint but we'll see...

Last edited:

When did I shave last?
Club Cola.
The Brush.

On the first stroke, I knew. I knew I didnt know and became more unsure as the shave went.

Typical three pass. No issues, no surprises, nothing different. Entire shave done steep, all comb.

Before I finished my right cheek I felt it. I felt it on every stroke thereafter growing more and more aware of it.

As the blade is torqued, it essentially curls. As it curls, the angle of edge to skin changes. I became keenly aware of that and it very much reminded me of my last shave with my Regent and a Perma-Sharp. When I'm shaving I can feel exactly where that change takes place, about mid width of the edge. It stops slicing and it starts scraping. It was frustrating because I cant control the angle of use to minimize that scraping feeling. It was there on my second pass S>N and it was there on my ATG pass and the clean up done after it.

With my Grande, the blades edge is a flat linear surface. I can control that angle of edge to skin because its shaving a (mostly) flat linear surface. With this thing I just cant because I'm not shaving a half concave surface. One area it did do really well was the 2 sq in area I mentioned the other day at the junction of my left jawline and corner of my chin shaving S>N. Because I can push my razor into my skin so easily there, I am shaving an area thats concave and uneven.

I said somewhere in the pages of this forum that I wasnt convinced the slant idea was anything more than a gimmick and I cant find where I said it but I was prepared to eat my words yet again. I remain unconvinced.

Compared to my Grande I find it equally smooth and arguably more efficient. I say that because I think it is more efficient but that efficiency comes at a price of comfort in my shave. Not that its uncomfortable or painful or anything of the like, it is not. Its just that I cant keep the entire width of the edge at the angle I prefer and because of that I cant make the blade disappear like I can my Grande.

I didnt see any waviness in the edge and I dont feel any waviness but I can, distinctly, feel the angle of the edge change in relation to my skin shaving as I normally do.

All of that said, does it give a good shave? No. It gives a great shave. Feeling S>N on my left cheek and jawline, which is notoriously difficult to BBS, its BBS and it didnt take long getting there either. I got there quicker by using the center of the blade by feel to buff that area knowing it would shave more efficiently because I could feel the blade so easily. Its the same reason why my R41 BBS's that area better than anything else I've used, even my MMOC. It shaves that area more efficiently because the blade angle is steep in relation to the skin. Comfort however, was still the sacrifice. Theres a differece between slicing the hair from the skin, and even below skin level, than there is scraping it off. Planer blades dont scrape. They cut. Scraper blades scrape. There is a difference.

I may get use to the feeling of the torqued blade, I dont know. The end results are as good as my Grande and I did get there a little quicker but I still did 3 passes and a single clean up. The exact same shave as my Grande.

I even stopped to think about the handle mid shave because I didnt really notice it. It feels different, neither better or worse, just different.

The Crooked Italian indeed.

al capone.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
16 hours BBS on the corners of my chin. Its still shiny this morning. Impressive.
Mike, I'm never sure of any slant right off. It took me a good five shaves to really start loving it. It took me a month with my Merkur 37c. Now I find the Lo Storto's smoothness, efficiency, and ease of use unapparelled in the world of DE's.

Last edited:

When did I shave last?
Club Cola.
The Brush.

My first shave it felt to me that the steep angle wasn’t where it is on the Grande. I felt uncomfortable searching for it. I like shallow angle better anyway. I do not know why though specifically probably just comfort. From your humped blade description Mike. Maybe that was what I was feeling the hump.

Mike- RIGIDITY- I’m thinking you will. Mike could this be one of those times where adapting to the machine is a good thing? Resistance is Futile. You will assimilate.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My first shave it felt to me that the steep angle wasn’t where it is on the Grande. I felt uncomfortable searching for it. I like shallow angle better anyway. I do not know why though specifically probably just comfort. From your humped blade description Mike. Maybe that was what I was feeling the hump.

Mike- RIGIDITY- I’m thinking you will. Mike could this be one of those times where adapting to the machine is a good thing? Resistance is Futile. You will assimilate.
Right now, I just kind of shave with it. I don't even know what angles I'm using. It seems to be very intuitive.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Now I find the Lo Storto's smoothness, efficiency, and ease of use unapparelled in the world of DE's.

I dont doubt that for a second. Feeling what I did it really made me wonder how anyone could use a PAA or anything else less supporting of the blade. The Fatip didnt tug anymore than my Grande but it definitely feels like it has more power. If a Grande is a 350 Chevy, the slant is a 350 stroked to 383. With a Feather, maybe supercharged.

All that without a Feather.

Yep, impressive. My longest lasting BBS with a Derby Extra was in my NEW SC, with a very steep angle, at 10 hours.

I hope I dont feel this way about my Grande in another month but I might.

Mike could this be one of those times where adapting to the machine is a good thing? Resistance is Futile. You will assimilate.

Its not even about adapting to it really. It feels fine, smooth and secure, just different. Had I used a slant before I likely wouldnt have been surprised by it.

Right now, I just kind of shave with it. I don't even know what angles I'm using. It seems to be very intuitive.

Yeah, I agree. Its easy to use. Easier than the Grande maybe. If I had started cold with this razor as my first DE and learned it, all other razors I tried after would have been pointless.

I agree with you Rave. Everybody who loves Fatips feels that neutrality with the angles. I guess some of us have to slam the doors and check under the hood even though its all good.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Razor? Fresh Gillette Yellow.
The Soap.
The Brush.

The same shave as last, 3 passes one clean up, with maybe, less buffing over all. I find myself buffing less because I'm not familiar with it yet and keep expecting that twisted blade to jump out and take a bite but it never feels like it will. I picked a Gillette Yellow because I know they tug, at all, and are exceptionally smooth. I thought that, maybe, because they are so smooth I'd feel the transition in the blade less and I did. I felt it so much less it wasnt even there.

Step 1 complete.

I think that, maybe, with the Derby Extra I used, that because they have a lower cutting ability, that I was feeling that transition because I was actually making the very edge flex at that transition point. Maybe it was flexing and I could feel....something, because it was scraping instead of cutting. I felt none of that today, at all, whatsoever. Nada.

Gillette Yellows always gave me a close shave too, but not this close. The different in closeness is, I think, moot. The difference in comfort is, I think, also moot. The ease of use is, almost, a no contest. This Fatip never felt unforgiving. I cant say I even really felt the blade although I was aware of on the first pass when I could at least hear it cutting, as quietly as it did. After that I felt nothing. I was trying, and mostly failing, to feel the teeth to gauge the pressure but theres as smooth as oiled glass so not much help.

As a consequence of that, after finishing my second pass with increased pressure, when I wiped with a wet hand I felt some sting. This razor is going to take a few shaves before I dial it in but it's promising to say the least. Or, perhaps, I'm feeling a bit melancholic and I'm not yet prepared to put my Grande to bed.

$35? Seriously? Yer kidding right, it has to cost more than that! Baffles me. Cheap at twice the price. Literally.

Or, perhaps, I'm feeling a bit melancholic and I'm not yet prepared to put my Grande to bed.

Don't worry. We never forget our first love. But just in case...

Exactly. It is just a razor after all, but what a razor it is.

View attachment 823445

I started right side mid ear at the base of my side burn and as soon as the razor moved, I knew. That single stroke went right to the bottom of my neck as did all other strokes as I worked my way across my face.

Effortless full length strokes.

I do the same with my Regent, but not this easily or comfortably. I do it with my NEW SC, but not this easily and almost as comfortably, but not as effectively. I do it with my Tech this easily too and very nearly as comfortably, but no where near this effectively. The Tech is very light, the Grande is not.

The Tech is a sharp axe and I have to cut my way through my stubble with many well placed swings. The NEW SC is a chainsaw. Quicker and more effective and a very good and useful tool. The Grande is a Feller buncher.

This razor has an entirely different feel to it than any other razor I've used, by far. I've said before that I dont shave with my NEW SC, it shaves me. If the NEW SC is a C6 Corvette, this Grande is a Ferrari FXX. Everything it does, it does easier, smoother, quicker, more efficiently, more precisely and much more assertively. The difference being I believe, the gap on the NEW SC and the extra weight of the Grande. Not just in the handle either. The weight of the head, and the balance point of it makes it a completely different shave.

I'm not one to use so many analogies but all the razors I speak of are either popular or becoming quite popular so I find it good to have a frame of reference many can understand and/or relate too.

Finish that first quick, simple WTG/XTG pass, wet my hand, wipe and check and had a nice DFS. On one single pass, with a Derby Extra.

Lather again and dive right into the ATG pass as I normally do with no buffing. Let me state that again as I tend to buff a lot. No buffing. Wet my hand, check again and honestly from the feel of the razor and that first simple pass I knew where I'd be, basically finished. Pretty much BBS everywhere. I did do one more quick buffing pass over my neck and jawline just to clean up a little.

This is, by a long shot, my closest and easiest shave yet, but it wasnt perfect. There was blood, not a lot, but a small weeper at the right corner of my mouth because I didnt stretch enough, and one each again on either side of my adams apple. Not because they're my harder to shave areas really. On my right side I have a mole, not much of one and its really just a flat dark spot and I've only ever caught it once with my first shave with my NEW SC. Once I knew I could, I never have again until this shave. On my left side, I think it was this razor being so rigid and unforgiving, that I had a small weeper over the swirl on my left side. I put that to using the Derby and it not being quite sharp enough to BBS that area that quickly. I believe this razor will show shortcomings in blades much more easily than the other razors I own.

I've always said Derby Extra blades were a favorite of mine and they still are. Wonderfully smooth and easily sharp enough. In this razor, I need to go over my trouble spots in two different directions, not my usual 3-4 directions. Had I done that, I wouldnt have had the left side weeper. Had I used a sharper blade, I dont believe I would have had that left side weeper either. I'll also add that I didnt think about angle and didnt change the angle during the shave. I just let the razor do its thing, guiding it over my skin with the little force that was necessary.

This is simply a fantastic razor, but its not a razor for those whos technique may not be up to it just yet. It will however teach the proper technique very quickly if you tend to learn your lessons from the school of hard knocks. I'm not sure there would be a better teacher lol.

If on the other hand you feel your technique is up to it, buy one. For the price its a no brainer to me and I'm sitting here wondering why I waited as long as I did. It is not the face ripping, rabid werewolf of a razor some seem to think and say it is. You only need to know how to wield a razor properly. Once you do, it will reward you.

Rave, you know your stuff and I have to agree with everything you, and many others have said about the Fatip razors. They are special.

Just to let 1Cal know, I get it now...

I also want to add one thing I read yesterday and tried today. Many, myself included, have mentioned the blade alignment issues. I read yesterday, I cant remember who on this forum said so, but they stated to set the cap down on something other than your hand and drop the blade on it letting it fall as it naturally will. Then gently place the base plate over it and let it fall naturally into place on top of the blade and then screw the handle on until it snugs up a bit. Only then, pick the razor up holding it by the handle and very lightly on the sides of the head, and snug the handle down. I did this today and the blade was perfectly aligned. No adjustment was needed.

Top Bottom