What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

Just home from a nine hour drive from Denver. After a trip like that there’s only one choice: breakfast for dinner.
589C1EC7-7C41-4069-9469-9B4A3A9D3A4A.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Just home from a nine hour drive from Denver.

I'll probably be doing that, soon, except it will be a round trip and 16 hours or so each way. The last time I did that, I brought home 10 gallons of rye whiskey.

Well, 10 gallons got loaded into the car. Almost that much made it home.

I've mentioned these before, Cold Storage here has recently been selling chicken breast on the bone, effectively a crown of chicken. Reasonably cheap, and takes 20 mins to roast. The only issue is getting the skin crispy so last night I got a hot pan and browned it before getting it in the oven. Roasted some carrot and baby corn with it, zapped some frozen spinach and peas, a couple of frozen Yorkshires into the oven while the chicken rested and simply boiled some Suffolk-grown new season's Maris Piper (they were from Marks and Spenser here, not only did it say where in England they had been grown, but had the farmer's name as well! Absolutely wonderful, just tossed in a little salted butter.) Gravy was a massive cheat, Bisto gravy granules. But all tasty.

There is enough pickings on the bone, plus a bit of left over veg for Mrs P to make herself soup today while she is WFH, I have to go to the office and will have to make do with a sandwich...

I noticed your cat avatar. The clipped ear is a sign of a feral cat.
We have done 22 feral cats, have 12 indoor cats and a feral cat colony that lives in our yard. Some of our indoor are from the outside of our house. Most of the colony is friendly but only to us. The one that lives in the front has caught 9 rats and 1 mouse in the front yard. It took three years for me to be able to touch him and now I can do anything with him. He is so sweet.
We have a 17 pound siamese we caught in a feral trap that my wife was scared of. Now, he is a mommas cat. If she starts talking loud or laughing he runs over to make sure she is okay. It's funny how they bonded.

I guess I'm a cat guy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We have done 22 feral cats, have 12 indoor cats and a feral cat colony that lives in our yard. Some of our indoor are from the outside of our house. Most of the colony is friendly but only to us. The one that lives in the front has caught 9 rats and 1 mouse in the front yard. It took three years for me to be able to touch him and now I can do anything with him. He is so sweet.
We have a 17 pound siamese we caught in a feral trap that my wife was scared of. Now, he is a mommas cat. If she starts talking loud or laughing he runs over to make sure she is okay. It's funny how they bonded.

I guess I'm a cat guy.
Wow!! We've got two outside cats; George and Gracie. We called "Pets Alive" (Austin Humane Society) and they sent out a lady with a trap...for free. She trapped both cats and got them fixed and clipped. The mamma cat (Gracie) was the important one to fix because we think she was the one with 2 sets of babies. Anyway, they both let us pet them. We bought them an out side house. When its cold they will use it. It comes with a soft mat. George kills every rat in the back yard and leaves parts by the back door to let me know he's on the job. Gracie's son Geoffrey died (brother of George). He wouldn't go in the trap to be fixed. We think he fought other cats and picked up a disease. He was only 2 years old.

Gracie and Geoffrey
IMG_2127.JPG

George
IMG_2349.JPG

George and Geoffrey
IMG_2706.JPG

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A tin of tuna mixed with mayo, curry, green onion, celery, a little garlic, a few sultanas & a few pieces of cashew on toast with a mug of tea. Apple and cheddar for dessert.

Supporting our local pizzeria. Dining rooms have been shut down so we are enjoying at home. I love green chile but skeptical about putting it on pizza. Now I think pizza is bland without it.
1513534C-92E0-461C-856E-E55160B1D11B.jpeg

While in Denver, we hit a Trader Joe’s and picked up some wide noodle pasta we like. My wife asked me how I wanted it and this carbonara is the result.View attachment 1125676View attachment 1125677

Nice choice of wine as well. I love everything Chateau Ste. Michelle vineyards produce, especially their selection of Rieslings. If you have not tried them, and they range in sweetness, they are a wonderful complement to cheese and crackers.

Tim

Dinner last night was simple but delicious. It consisted of grilled steak, seasoned with Penzeys BBQ 3000 and finished off with a baste of Sweet Baby Ray's Kickin' Bourbon (of course, supplemented with a splash of Angel's Envy Kentucky Bourbon). I also grilled some Naan and plated it and the steak with my wife's tortilla soup, which doubles as a cold bean salad.

20200715_180338.jpg

Tim

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Dinner last night was simple but delicious. It consisted of grilled steak, seasoned with Penzeys BBQ 3000 and finished off with a baste of Sweet Baby Ray's Kickin' Bourbon (of course, supplemented with a splash of Angel's Envy Kentucky Bourbon). I also grilled some Naan and plated it and the steak with my wife's tortilla soup, which doubles as a cold bean salad.

View attachment 1126700

Tim
Sweet Baby Ray's, naan, & bean tortilla soup... a delicious collision of cultures!

Nice choice of wine as well. I love everything Chateau Ste. Michelle vineyards produce, especially their selection of Rieslings. If you have not tried them, and they range in sweetness, they are a wonderful complement to cheese and crackers.

Tim
We are also fans of Chateau Ste. Michelle. This Pinot Gris is our standard white wine but we also like their Riesling, especially with spicy Asian dishes. We still enjoy their sparkling brut but since we moved to New Mexico, we mainly drink Gruet as our sparkler.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tonight will be chicken fajita's on flour tortillas, queso and chips, quac and ice cream. I'll make my famous salsa made with fire roasted tomatoes, grilled (broiled) tomatillos, onion, garlic, serrano/tepin peppers, cilantro, chipolte peppers and a little adobo sauce with lime juice.

Top Bottom