What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge Sunday Shave 20200712
shave 20200712_191101_2.jpg

Razor: @twhite TNNSER 3D
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (2)
Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Brush Handle w/TNS 24mm BOSS Batch1 Knot
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: A&E L'Orange Verte
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum
Post-Shave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Fine L'Orange Noir
Cologne: G eàu Black Eau de Toilette Spray (clone of Acqua Di Gio Profumo)

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The @twhite TNNSER 3D razor is "too cool for school". This is a very effective and capable GEM blade razor. Some flexibility with the shaving angle - started somewhat steep and moved the handle up until I felt the best efficiency (it also worked going shallow and moving the handle down ;)). Smooth and efficient. Many thanks and much gratitude to @twhite for making these wonderful 3D Printed GEM based razors. :thumbup:

The @Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Brush Handle w/TNS 24mm BOSS Batch1 Knot brush, the A&E L'Orange Verte soap and Captain's Choice Copper bowl worked together to produce mounds of sumptuous, slick lather.

The Fine L'Orange Noir AS and G eàu Black Eau de Toilette Spray were synergistic with the A&E L'Orange Verte soap complementing each other and resulting in a wonderful scent that is highly praised by my Lovely Bride.

Pretty darn outstanding Single Edge Sunday Shave! :)

Last edited:
This morning I felt like I needed to use a soap that I didn't get along with the first couple times I have used it. It just seems to lack "protection". So Boat Drinks it was. It again left my face very "raw". The splash was almost uncomfortable. I ended up putting balm on about 30 minutes later.

I feel like I need to change blades as this evening I sit here and I have some stubble spots that I normally wouldn't but not sure I'd that is the soap. I will probably turn this into my shower soap for the camper at the lake.

In reality anytime ya knock down a bunch of whiskers and don't draw blood and your face is for the most part smooth, it's a good day. Today was a good day. Spent time with family and the kids are not fighting.

I hope all of you have had a good day too.

8.2/10

KM

IMG_20200712_092718.jpg

My Sunday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Shower including hair conditioner on face​
Three pass shave: WTG, ATG & XTG​
Rockwell 6S #3 Plate​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Col Conk Amber Glycerine​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.8/10 DFS! BBS! Two nicks.​
  • Wasn't sure if I could get BBS with the #3 Rockwell plate
  • Brush is not broken in yet

Pre-shave:- Argan Oil liquid soap
Bowl/Scuttle:- None
Br
ush:- Synthetic
Soap/Cream:- Hawkins and Brimble
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Treet
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Rating 10/10

View attachment 1124619
I’ve been wondering how that Hawkins and Brimble shave soap is? I have their facial cleanser and moisturizers and love the Elemi and ginseng scent.

This morning I felt like I needed to use a soap that I didn't get along with the first couple times I have used it. It just seems to lack "protection". So Boat Drinks it was. It again left my face very "raw". The splash was almost uncomfortable. I ended up putting balm on about 30 minutes later.

I feel like I need to change blades as this evening I sit here and I have some stubble spots that I normally wouldn't but not sure I'd that is the soap. I will probably turn this into my shower soap for the camper at the lake.

In reality anytime ya knock down a bunch of whiskers and don't draw blood and your face is for the most part smooth, it's a good day. Today was a good day. Spent time with family and the kids are not fighting.

I hope all of you have had a good day too.

8.2/10

KM

View attachment 1124869
Your razor should be pretty smooth and forgiving. What blades have you been using?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Razor:Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade:Derby
Soap:Proraso White
Brush:Fendrihan Black and White Synthetic

Very comfortable shave today. Forgot how much menthol is in the Proraso white soap, very cooling on the skin. Suggested for sensitive skin, rich slick abundant lather and nice clean fragrance. Single WTG pass on my neck is the ticket. No irritation whatsoever. I can’t tell what the Thayer‘s is doing, but following it up with Nivea Balm on my neck seems very agreeable. Really like my synthetic brush!

9.5/10

Razor: Karve CB Brass SB-B
Blade: GSB - 1
Brush: WCS Honeycomb Blue Tuxedo
Lather: Stirling Baker Street
Aftershave: Epsilon Blue Mediterranean + Duke Cannon Ice Cold Balm
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
8.5/10 DFS
Shave71220.jpg

Yesterday's shave was so good with the Karve, I decided to try to shave with it a 2nd day in a row. I hardly shave on consecutive days because my neck area tends to get irritated.
For a change I loaded a fresh GSB and got a comfortable shave on my first 2 passes. My third pass was XTG and wasn't as smooth. Left me a bit irrtated around the neck. But in all it was a good shave.
The GSB is a good razor blade but I still prefer my Nacet, Astra SP and Voskhod over it. Maybe I need to shave more often with it to get a feel for this blade. As for the Karve, wonderful razor!

does the soap smell similar to EPSILON blue ??? if you can compare. thanks
I have both. The soap is mild and to my nose it has an "undertone" scent that is close to Epsilon. I asked my wife to compare them and she felt the same way.
I've never used them together so I'll do my next shave with the RR Barbershop and Epsilon AS to compare.

Your razor should be pretty smooth and forgiving. What blades have you been using?

I have had this issue now with 3 of Stirling's soaps and there is a common theme. I haven't reached out to them out concerning it as I don't believe it is their issue.

By that last statement I mean that I use their soaps 96% of the time and have no issue. It has been with a combo of vintage Gillettes and about 3 or 4 SE razors and maybe 5 different DE blades.

Again. This isn't an issue with their soaps as I am using their stuff pretty regularly if you've followed my postings here.

At some point I will email them and ask the differences in the 3 I have had this with and try figure out which ones I need to shy away from.

KM

I'm doing MWF shaves this week, as I'm due to get my hair sheared on Friday instead of Saturday, and I like to go to the shop well-shaven. So:

48-hour beard

'62 Slim Adjustable with a Super Platinum blade (don't recall the brand, but not a Gillette). Today is the 2nd shave on the blade

Erasmic soap in the red-lidded tub

Semogue boar brush

Clubman SR and powder

Showered, a little bloom from the soap on my bristles, then lather proper. Pass 1 set at 4 for cheeks and throat; stopped down to 3 for lower lip and for pass 2 on cheeks and throat; then to 2 for lower lip and pass 3 everywhere else. Smooth and comfortable. A 9.4.

Monday MacaRoot 13 SOTD
Cream MacaRoot & Aloe
Bowl Timeless
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade SuperMax Platinum Plus 1st
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + MacaRoot Aloe Gel
Good lather result from brush and bowl with nice scent. Slickness acceptable.
Shave with evergreen razor paired with blade (used to be a fav) not so smooth nor comfortable...nor sharp. However, no weepers creepers nor irritation after 3 multiple passes. DFS++ Icy water rinse followed by Thayers then Hyaluronic and MacaRoot felt good. Rating 8.5/10
20200712_233454.jpg

20200713_073312.jpg

Daily Shave: 13 July 2020

Fixed 4 For Any Month—Day-13

DSCF2172.JPG

Prep
: Face wash with antibacterial soap
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Feather (Blade #3) Shave #4 2 passes + buffing
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe Using distilled water and salsa bowl
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Post: Rinsed face, followed up with a Witch Hazel wipe down.
Rating: 9.5 / 10.0 DFS+ A very smooth shave with no nicks or weepers, some stubble requiring buffing.

Top Bottom