What's new

Moving back to carts - what is the overall best (quality / price / longevity) non-Gillette system to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New guy here, wanting to chime in. About three or four months ago I purchased the Parker Trac ii aftermarket handle and some Personna Twin Pivot blades. After a rough first try, I've found this set up works great for me with three passes. I get as good a shave as I ever did with my Fusion Proglide.

I get not wanting a Gillette product, but as the blades and handle are not actually Gillette, I would think this would count as non-Gillette.

As far as the blades clogging, I don't have that problem per se, however I find alot of product collects if you use a shaving soap or canned foam. My solution to this was to use Cremo. A nice thin layer of super-slick goodness that smells like fresh orange blossoms. The blades stay clear and the shave is fantastic.

Well, I’ve finally settled on the new shaving system, after a little experimenting, and believe that I have the best of both worlds now.

I use the same shaving prep as I did with DE (hot shower, soap and brush). Unlike DE, there’s little discomfort if I don’t shower first, however it does take a bit more work then.

I use basically the same technique, except only two passes (XTG then ATG) with a couple WTG strokes on my jawline.

With carts being a lot less hard on the skin (in my case at least) I can apply AS directly with no irritation or burning.

Finally, after trying different razors, I confirmed my initial decision to go with Schick Xtreme disposables. I am on week 6 of using one (the new design) and so far have no problem getting a 2 pass BBS. The blades on Schick razors last far longer than the lube strips, so they are great if you use soap. At $1 per razor, that’s in the DE cost territory.
You can’t go wrong with schick in my opinion.

Noticed yesterday that my Walgreens is selling Harry's shave club stuff. On sale, the blades were $2.50 each. Even if you get two weeks out of one that is still $65.00/year and $8.00 for the handle.

Not on sale, your cost goes up to over$80.00 per year. Over 50 years that's $4,000.

Really, I just don't get it.

Noticed yesterday that my Walgreens is selling Harry's shave club stuff. On sale, the blades were $2.50 each. Even if you get two weeks out of one that is still $65.00/year and $8.00 for the handle.

Not on sale, your cost goes up to over$80.00 per year. Over 50 years that's $4,000.

Everyone has things they will spend money on for ease and comfort.

80$/year = 21.9 cents a day ---> 6.57 $ per month. not exactly breaking the bank....

if there's someting that really makes me laugh is DE aficionados telling me they are actually saving money compared to multiblades..and then they have 50+ razors, 1000 brushes and soaps etc etc :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very few if any save money that is why they push everything de like nothing else is shave worthy, only de, no matter what the cost thinking money is really being saved.

if there's someting that really makes me laugh is DE aficionados telling me they are actually saving money compared to multiblades..and then they have 50+ razors, 1000 brushes and soaps etc etc :lol: :lol: :lol:

But they can sell those razors and brushes and have money back in the hand.
Now go sell the empty shaving foam tins and plastic handles. See what their worth.

But they can sell those razors and brushes and have money back in the hand.
Now go sell the empty shaving foam tins and plastic handles. See what their worth.
That is the hobby end of it, what was being said was the shaving end of it, which is what most men do everyday for quick and easy shaves. Looking at someone after a shave you can’t tell what method was used.

To be honest I don't care how people shave. If one were to buy a decent cheap soap, one razor and one cheap boar or synthetic brush, DE shaving is very cheap. That fact is not in any way undone because some people collect brushes or razors.

To be honest I don't care how people shave. If one were to buy a decent cheap soap, one razor and one cheap boar or synthetic brush, DE shaving is very cheap. That fact is not in any way undone because some people collect brushes or razors.
You are 100% right about that, cartridges are bought daily by millions of people who think it won’t put them broke. It is very easy for everyone of us to justify the cost if we think it is worth it to ourself.

That is the hobby end of it, what was being said was the shaving end of it, which is what most men do everyday for quick and easy shaves. Looking at someone after a shave you can’t tell what method was used.
Exactly. Shaving it's about removing hair from your face, after all. It's not a mean to an end.

Well a $1 Xtreme disposable lasts me 6 weeks so far without degradation in shave quality (when used with proper soap), that’s $8 a year... certainly not any more expensive than DE.

Well a $1 Xtreme disposable lasts me 6 weeks so far without degradation in shave quality (when used with proper soap), that’s $8 a year... certainly not any more expensive than DE.
I can't understand how somebody gets six weeks out of a blade even if only shaving every other day. That's 21 doubles pass shaves?

You must not have any hair on your face!

80$/year = 21.9 cents a day ---> 6.57 $ per month. not exactly breaking the bank....
Four grand is four grand. It is no longer available to spend on something else.

Everything has a opportunity cost.

You can get a perfectly serviceable straight razor set up that will last you a lifetime for $100.00.

That's $3,900.00 you can spend on something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom