What's new

Moving back to carts - what is the overall best (quality / price / longevity) non-Gillette system to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t mind the cost of carts, I make them last with no I’ll effect on the quality of shave so £2.50 will be around 6 to 8 weeks of shaving and personally I would never consider a straight razor. Carts definitely have a place in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly if you can get 6 to 8 weeks out of a cartridge that changes the value equation. I don't know how often you shave, but the one time I tried a Fusion I only got about five shaves out of it so a little less than two weeks for me. It also gave me a little bit of razor burn from the second "touch up" pass. At five bucks each every two weeks I felt that the cost was outrageous.

I just checked on Schick's website and they have a blade that will fit a Gillette style handle, either a Mach 3 or Fusion. If you have an aftermarket handle such as a Bolin Web or the ones sold by the online retailers this may be an option.
I have just ordered a couple of each to try them out.

Certainly if you can get 6 to 8 weeks out of a cartridge that changes the value equation. I don't know how often you shave, but the one time I tried a Fusion I only got about five shaves out of it so a little less than two weeks for me. It also gave me a little bit of razor burn from the second "touch up" pass. At five bucks each every two weeks I felt that the cost was outrageous.

I used Fusion for 3-4 weeks and Schick Hydro for over a month... so everyone's different.

To finish all your de blades get a broman, but they are lousy in aftersales

I'll keep the razors and blades for now. I don't have really expensive razors. Broman by all accounts isn't much gentler on skin anyway. I may go back to DE full or parttime in the future. Given that Schick Xtreme is still going strong in its fourth week, I have about two years worth of them now, between the half dozen old ones and 20 new ones I just bought.

Thanks for your reply. For me, the Track II, or any razor with a "lift and cut" system (I am looking at you Norelco!) is an invitation to ingrown hairs on my neck and jawline. I specifically abandoned the Track II decades ago for disposable single edge razors until I switched to SR shaving. One question I have for you is do they still clog as much as they used to? I seem to remember spending more time banging the Track II razor against the side of the sink, rather than actually shaving.

I am not trying to argue or bait you, I am genuinely curious as I haven't used one since the 80's probably.

I have a very coarse and thick stubble and have been using twin cart razors (TRACII, Atra, Sensor) for almost a year now and have had zero issues with blade clogging. However i shave 6 days a week so the longest gap is between sat and monday. If you have too many days between shaves then you're going to clog the blade.

For reference i have a Homer Simpson stubble in that i get a 5 O'clock shadow at 9AM.

In defense the twin (and pretty much every multi blade system) is not designed for long (3day+) stubble.

I have a very coarse and thick stubble and have been using twin cart razors (TRACII, Atra, Sensor) for almost a year now and have had zero issues with blade clogging. However i shave 6 days a week so the longest gap is between sat and monday. If you have too many days between shaves then you're going to clog the blade.
Multiblade carts (even 2 blades) and even a good majority of closed comb DEs are made for daily shaving. If you wait 2+days you are going to need an open comb DE

2 days is not that long, even couple days longer my qshave and Parker adjusta do not have a real problem
Body hair is difference though my broman replaces an open comb Gillette lawnmower in this (which is still better) that broman is no clogger. It is a mild razor though.
All carts with multiple blades I had were cloggers. Still need to try a Gillette guard which is designed for a heavier beard

I use a razorpit after each shave which helps get more out of a cart and I like having stubble and work from home so I shave every 4/5 days, but I could shave daily as I have coarse hair. Saying that there are times after a shave I think I should have thrown the cart away after the last shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to drop a line and say the Gillette Guard (for me personally) is one of the greatest modern day shaving creations. I had no issue killing 8+ days of growth , and have a seller in Bangladesh who sells them for an absurdly cheap price. I know you mentioned non Gillette but if it helps Gillette doesn't want these getting to the states

I shave daily, have been since I turned 17. Sometimes skip a day on the weekend, but prefer not to. When I was younger I had black stubble that screamed "terrorist" ;), and now I have grey "hobo" stubble that makes me look at least a decade older (the men in my family turn grey early). My wife prefers me clean shaven, too. So, killing a week long growth is nowhere near my priorities.

I have settled on Schick Xtreme for now. They are long lasting (up to 4 weeks of daily shaving), gentle on my face, and reasonable ($1 per razor at Sam's, even cheaper at Costco). 25-30 cents per week is twice what a DE blade cost, but objectively speaking it's nothing.

I tried Equate 3-blade razors from Walmart, they are very sharp and cheap (under 60 cents per razor) but they give me weepers unless I am careful. I switched back to carts so that I did not have to be careful. They may actually be a good match for someone who wants a more DE like shaving experience. I haven't used it for more than 4-5 shaves so I can't speak for longevity.

I may pick up some other disposables at Aldi, just for fun. I tend to accumulate razors and blades faster than I can possibly use them up...

@Umma2gumma I can see your preference for a razor has been established. But, if I may, can I direct your attention to a razor system that is just as great as carts? If you are a fan of schick, then an Injector razor system would be a great fit. I had the same problem you had and almost switched back to carts/disposables until I saw this and gave it a go. This assisted me in not only finding a safety razor that could fit my needs but the blades I buy (personna) are pretty cheap at 20 blades for 10 bucks (0.50 USD per blade). The blades are stiff and sharp, and are angled to the proper cutting angle like a cart. In some ways, one could say the Injector is the "missing link" between carts and DEs.

This video will show all the info you need on an injector razor.

Bic 2 Flex Hybrid, I buy a handle w 3 heads at the 99cent store. They are OK, sometimes feel a bit rough mostly OK. I prefer Gillette.

It is hard to answer what is best since everyone is different and I use carts from 1 all the way up to 6 blades.

For several years I have bought Personna Twin Pivot Plus in bulk. I have used over 200 without a bad cart. My recent purchase was $14 for 100. Every time I buy them the price has been lower. I shave every day and have used these carts for 7 shaves each, and could probably go longer. I use either a vintage Gillette Atra metal handle or Gillette PII non-pivot handle. I just bought even heavier handles, a Gillette Atra metal and a Schick Super II stainless steel, but haven’t tried it with a Personna cart yet.

Are these the best? Let’s just say it is the lowest cost and you won’t be disappointed in the shaves. Just buy 2 good handles, heavier the better, one for pivot and one fixed. The PII is identical to the original common Trac II handle with plastic and metal handle and a metal head. You can get one for less than $10 brand new in a sealed package since they are still made. There is nothing to wear out. It is not very heavy but I wouldnt call it light. For pivot, dont buy a Vector, buy an after market metal handle that is still being made. Even the non all metal vintage Atra handles are pricey.

So after the cost of the handles and not including soaps, creams, etc., you are looking at $14 for 2 years worth of shaves. You can’t beat that.

@Rich_C makes a good point. With the Trac II and clones, there is really nothing to wear out or break with the handles because there's no pivot. I just used some store-brand Trac II carts that I believe were Personnas and they were quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom