What's new

Moving back to carts - what is the overall best (quality / price / longevity) non-Gillette system to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four grand is four grand. It is no longer available to spend on something else.

Everything has a opportunity cost.

You can get a perfectly serviceable straight razor set up that will last you a lifetime for $100.00.

That's $3,900.00 you can spend on something else.
True, however the other side of the coin is $3,900.00 is for the hobby end of it

Four grand is four grand. It is no longer available to spend on something else.

Everything has a opportunity cost.

You can get a perfectly serviceable straight razor set up that will last you a lifetime for $100.00.

That's $3,900.00 you can spend on something else.
Maybe I don't like DEs or straights
Maybe I just want to shave quickly and efficiently. And maybe I can do it without breaking the bank (again). Carts have won the war for a reason

Maybe I don't like DEs or straights
Maybe I just want to shave quickly and efficiently. And maybe I can do it without breaking the bank (again). Carts have won the war for a reason
Yes, they won the war because of advertising- millions upon millions upon millions of $$ worth of advertising.

When was the last time you saw an advertisement for double edge blades, or even the humble disposable single edge razor?

They sell without any advertising!

Yes, they won the war because of advertising- millions upon millions upon millions of $$ worth of advertising.

When was the last time you saw an advertisement for double edge blades, or even the humble disposable single edge razor?

They sell to people on shave forums, because it is a hobby. Advertising is really not needed for de blades, people who use them go looking for them.

I can't understand how somebody gets six weeks out of a blade even if only shaving every other day. That's 21 doubles pass shaves?

You must not have any hair on your face!

I have plenty of coarse facial hair, and have been shaving daily since I turned 18 (fast growing dark hair, pale face, stubble did not yet come into fashion).

A Feather would last me 6-7 shaves, that 7th would be pushing it. Some people can only get 3 out of them.

Schick blades are very long lasting, I’ve learned that even before switching to DE. Their Hydra 5 carts outlasted Gillette Fusion by almost 1.5x in my use.

With all due respect, carts became a success because they produced acceptable results with no need to learn special technique, watch shaving angle, little possibility of cuts or weepers, and - in the case of many people, myself included - far less irritation. I started shaving with DE, never learned proper technique (my dad was using an electric, which gave me major irritation). Shaving was an extremely unpleasant business until carts became available (I did not grow up in the US). With carts, I could go straight to ATG without much preparation and get good results, no irritation, no cuts.

DE allows even better shave, but it comes at a price.

DE blades don’t really sell here. You’re looking at a tiny niche enthusiast market. They may snatch Polsilver like crazy off Amazon and eBay, but billions of people who use DE daily don’t shop on eBay or Amazon. And they do get ads for DE blades.

I will say if you can shave with carts without irritation go for it. I cannot, unless I use Mach 3 or whatever equivalent has come out since I quit using carts.

Im currently deployed and I did not bring a my DE, brush, and soap. Last time I took my DE to a long field op, it broke in my bag. So, I came with decent (Not Mach 3 though) carts and canned goop. Big mistake. I dreaded shaving. A friend coincidentally brought a couple of his straights, and I horse swapped for one of them. I still use canned goop, which sucks, but SR is way better on my face personally than any cartridge.

If you are the opposite and carts work well, go for it. There are less expensive options that are decent these days at least.

With all due respect, carts became a success because they produced acceptable results with no need to learn special technique, watch shaving angle, little possibility of cuts or weepers, and - in the case of many people, myself included - far less irritation. I started shaving with DE, never learned proper technique (my dad was using an electric, which gave me major irritation). Shaving was an extremely unpleasant business until carts became available (I did not grow up in the US). With carts, I could go straight to ATG without much preparation and get good results, no irritation, no cuts.

DE blades don’t really sell here. You’re looking at a tiny niche enthusiast market. They may snatch Polsilver like crazy off Amazon and eBay, but billions of people who use DE daily don’t shop on eBay or Amazon. And they do get ads for DE blades.
Well you said it yourself, "never learned proper technique". If a cartridge will last you 21 double pass shaves then so will a DE. Just imagine how long a Straight Razor would last you. You would never have to strop!

My issue with multiblade carts is that the blades clog. I'm currently trying a Shick injector adjustable razor but have only used it three times. The first shave felt like there was no blade in it, I adjusted it to the middle setting and found that it was more aggressive than I would prefer. Haven't finalized my conclusions yet, but I do like the results so far. The injector razor IMHO is the bridge between Cartridge and DE razors and may have been the razor on which the cartridge idea was based.

My issue with multiblade carts is that the blades clog. I'm currently trying a Shick injector adjustable razor but have only used it three times. The first shave felt like there was no blade in it, I adjusted it to the middle setting and found that it was more aggressive than I would prefer. Haven't finalized my conclusions yet, but I do like the results so far. The injector razor IMHO is the bridge between Cartridge and DE razors and may have been the razor on which the cartridge idea was based.
I have used many different cartridge razors, shaving daily they never clog for me. They say the bic single edge is based on an injector razor?

I also had this problem. Badly. Even with daily shaving, and definitely with every other day shaving. In addition to cheap carts tearing my face up, and expensive carts being only passable shaves and expensive, all of them clogged bad. I would have to beat the crap out of it on the side of the sink and run water in it from behind frequently. Bar comb DEs clog for me too but nowhere near as bad. I actually have an open comb old type Gillette waiting for me at home I can’t wait to try. And several straights to clean up...

The modern cartridge razors are much less prone to clogging than the old Track II's, as they have abandonded the closely spaced blades of the dreaded "lift and cut" system. If your razor is clogging all the time, there is something wrong with your lather.

I also had this problem. Badly. Even with daily shaving, and definitely with every other day shaving. In addition to cheap carts tearing my face up, and expensive carts being only passable shaves and expensive, all of them clogged bad. I would have to beat the crap out of it on the side of the sink and run water in it from behind frequently. Bar comb DEs clog for me too but nowhere near as bad. I actually have an open comb old type Gillette waiting for me at home I can’t wait to try. And several straights to clean up...
I guess I am lucky, I can use carts,de,electric and straights. Which ever cart I use I don’t have clogging problems.

Contrary to what many DE jihadists would say, the multiblades are much more technologically advanced. Aside from nostalgic reasons / hobbist / romanticism etc there's simply no way a DE can shave *better* than a good cart. And they know it. But because of the aforementioned reasons, they will *never* admit it. And they wll also become very angry, too. It's obvoius from a psychological side: after spending a fair amount of money with brushes, soaps, handles, and 50+ DE razor heads you cannnot admit you can have a more or less equal shave with a 50 cents disposable + a bit of canned foam. And in fact you will see this post (and even myself) canceled to oblivion in no time :lol::lol:

Contrary to what many DE jihadists would say, the multiblades are much more technologically advanced. Aside from nostalgic reasons / hobbist / romanticism etc there's simply no way a DE can shave *better* than a good cart.

....and now the GilletteLabs Heated Razor? Gimmick or step change innovation?

You switch to carts' and 10 years later can't get the blades....are manufacturers like Gillette struggling to maintain their market dominance and have to keep 're-inventing the wheel?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom