What's new

Moving back to carts - what is the overall best (quality / price / longevity) non-Gillette system to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contrary to what many DE jihadists would say, the multiblades are much more technologically advanced. Aside from nostalgic reasons / hobbist / romanticism etc there's simply no way a DE can shave *better* than a good cart. And they know it. But because of the aforementioned reasons, they will *never* admit it. And they wll also become very angry, too. It's obvoius from a psychological side: after spending a fair amount of money with brushes, soaps, handles, and 50+ DE razor heads you cannnot admit you can have a more or less equal shave with a 50 cents disposable + a bit of canned foam. And in fact you will see this post (and even myself) canceled to oblivion in no time :lol::lol:

To be fair, canned foam does not hold a candle to a brush & decent soap. Not all elements of the old timey shaving are obsolete.

Also I’d never learn the proper (and efficient) 2 pass technique had I not tried DE shaving again.

So in my case, it was a typical evolutionary spiral - DE with poor technique (irritation and cuts) -> Carts with no technique (a decent if not perfect shave, and in my case the instant end of irritation) - DE with proper technique (a better shave but you pay for any carelessness) - Carts with proper technique.

Yes, this is the advantage of the modern cartridge razor: speed. It is an extremely fast shave and without the clogging and ingrown hair issues of the older cartridge razors, e.g. Trac II's. The disadvantages are cost (outrageous) and compared to say a straight razor, excessive exfoliation. They just are not that good for your skin.
I thought exfoliation was good for facial skin, my trac ii does not clog, but I shave everyday

To be fair, canned foam does not hold a candle to a brush & decent soap. Not all elements of the old timey shaving are obsolete.

Also I’d never learn the proper (and efficient) 2 pass technique had I not tried DE shaving again.

So in my case, it was a typical evolutionary spiral - DE with poor technique (irritation and cuts) -> Carts with no technique (a decent if not perfect shave, and in my case the instant end of irritation) - DE with proper technique (a better shave but you pay for any carelessness) - Carts with proper technique.
Having used canned foam,good soap and brush and bar soap for shaving with a de, straight razor and carts my shaves are just as good with canned foam and faster than the soap, brush and mug routine. For me this a fact.

Having used canned foam,good soap and brush and bar soap for shaving with a de, straight razor and carts my shaves are just as good with canned foam and faster than the soap, brush and mug routine. For me this a fact.
yes, it's only a psychological/sentimental/nostalgic issue. If you have a good technique, you get great shaves regardless of the hardware used.

Apart from Mach and Fusion are these the only compatible interchangeable handle carts?
Most carts are interchangeable due to the expiry of patents, especially Gillettes.

Schick and Dorco's are generally interchangeable within themselves.
Of course you could pick a Personna Magnum 5 which is purely proprietary.

What models are you interested in?

Most carts are interchangeable due to the expiry of patents, especially Gillettes.

An example would be the Mach 3. Both Personna and Bic produce Mach 3 compatible carts. Of course you can't use a Mach 3 on these Personna or Bic handles.

I never knew how interchangeable cart are with different handles

I never knew how interchangeable cart are with different handles
The original first two type of carts were interchangeable, a Trac II fitted a Super II or Profile or vice versa. The same with the Atra. The Sensor released in early 90's had to wait until the late 90's. The Mach 3 compatible carts were only released a few years ago. It's also a recent phenomena for having familes of carts, for example Quattro being compatible with GT's and Calibers.

An example would be the Mach 3. Both Personna and Bic produce Mach 3 compatible carts. Of course you can't use a Mach 3 on these Personna or Bic handles.
Thanks Sabre I've now spotted sellers (ownbrand) compatible refill blades on the internet for the Mach3 handle. Gillette cart handles again being the market leader, but it's good to know there are other compatible makes of blade

My experience has been similar, although I started out with "cartridge and no technique." Once I learned technique (both actual shaving and beard/face prep) by switching to DE, any problems I had with cartridges pretty much went away.

My experience has been similar, although I started out with "cartridge and no technique." Once I learned technique (both actual shaving and beard/face prep) by switching to DE, any problems I had with cartridges pretty much went away.
I have to quote everything. BUT..why not learning the right technique in the first place? 🤔

Because my father didn't teach me?
I have to quote everything. BUT..why not learning the right technique in the first place? 🤔
Because my father never taught me? I pretty much figured out shaving on my own and didn't learn traditional techniques until much later on.

you disagree because you're obviously biased. I never had any irritation with whatever multiblades i used. And i don't have a particularly strong skin or whatever. I just learned to use good wet-shaving techniques , good lathering (with or without brushes), good knowledge of my beard map, two (WTG/ATG) ot three (WTG/XTG/ATG) passes plus touch-ups (if required) , almost no pressure, etc. and my results have always been the same. Lucky? Definitely i don't believe so.
I will graciously allow you to have the last word.

Good day Sir.

A Track II clogs on my beard halfway through the fist pass. This is a commonly known problem with Track II's. Look at the blade spacing on a Fusion-much further apart. Gillette abandoned the "lift and cut" system on their modern cartridge razors and this was one of the reasons.

I would like to hear the former Gillette chemist chime in on this.
It clogs on one days growth?

I thought exfoliation was good for facial skin, my trac ii does not clog, but I shave everyday
Exfoliation is good for the skin. Excessive exfoliation is bad for the skin.

Cartridges with five blades inherently and excessively over exfoliate the skin.

It clogs on one days growth?
Multiple times. I probably needed to rinse the Trac II and bang it against the side of the sink a half dozen times in a single pass shave. Just take a close look at one of those cartridges and compare it to a Fusion. The blades are much closer together and there isn't much room for shave cream and beard residue to pass through. During Desert Storm, the U.S. Army provided special brushes that suction cup attached to the pop up stoppers of sinks just to help the soldiers clear out the Trac II razors without using a ton of water they were so notorious for clogging.

Your,
yes, it's only a psychological/sentimental/nostalgic issue. If you have a good technique, you get great shaves regardless of the hardware used.
This obviously is false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom