What's new

Moving back to carts - what is the overall best (quality / price / longevity) non-Gillette system to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
....and now the GilletteLabs Heated Razor? Gimmick or step change innovation?

You switch to carts' and 10 years later can't get the blades....are manufacturers like Gillette struggling to maintain their market dominance and have to keep 're-inventing the wheel?'
Dear sir
On amazon you can still find carts for g2... Trac... Sensor etc. Released almost 40 years ago and later. So the non-availability excuses already destroyed. About the last gimmicks... True! BUT no one forces you to buy the "latest and greatest". Just continue using the "older generation" (mach 3, Sensor etc) also finding for discounts on the web and live happily

Dear sir
On amazon you can still find carts for g2... Trac... Sensor etc. Released almost 40 years ago and later. So the non-availability excuses already destroyed. About the last gimmicks... True! BUT no one forces you to buy the "latest and greatest". Just continue using the "older generation" (mach 3, Sensor etc) also finding for discounts on the web and live happily

So what are your favorite carts?

Contrary to what many DE jihadists would say, the multiblades are much more technologically advanced. Aside from nostalgic reasons / hobbist / romanticism etc there's simply no way a DE can shave *better* than a good cart. And they know it. But because of the aforementioned reasons, they will *never* admit it. And they wll also become very angry, too. It's obvoius from a psychological side: after spending a fair amount of money with brushes, soaps, handles, and 50+ DE razor heads you cannnot admit you can have a more or less equal shave with a 50 cents disposable + a bit of canned foam. And in fact you will see this post (and even myself) canceled to oblivion in no time :lol::lol:
I hope you’re not canceled or this post, carts are some what quicker and give a great shave. I shaved last night with a bic single blade orange disposable, great shave. The night before I used a muhle r41 with a rapira blade, guess what? Both great shaves, post shaves felt the same. de is not better, just a different method.

Just my personal thoughts: if you are looking for a cart, definitely go for a Non-Gillette variant of Trac2/G2. Non lube strip if possible. Lots of heavy metal handles on eBay etc and lots of non-Gillette carts are available. Cheap and effective - worked really well for me!

But ... if you WERE willing to go with Gillette I would recommend the Indian single-blade Guard. Simply outstanding for the price - I have never found a better cart system.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
We use what we use as we have the choice. In the past there was not much to choose from. Now days we are quite spoilt for choice. I swing from cart to DE and I get great shaves from both. What we can do is respect each other’s choices, agree to disagree and move on.

We use what we use as we have the choice. In the past there was not much to choose from. Now days we are quite spoilt for choice. I swing from cart to DE and I get great shaves from both. What we can do is respect each other’s choices, agree to disagree and move on.
Agreed, when I started shaving there were only de, straight and electric. I used a de and had to get good at it with practice. When carts came out trac ii, I used it right away same great shaves. I do believe carts are faster which is what people are looking for these days. If carts did not give good shaves equal to de, people like myself who had no carts to start would have gone back to de for good. Just my thoughts

Is it the feel of a plastic safety bar that attracts cart users who don't like the feel of 'cold steel.'? The Wilkinson Sword black plastic razor is a great compromise of a plastic safety bar, is fast but still uses DE blades.

Great innovation builds on the success of the past

Is it the feel of a plastic safety bar that attracts cart users who don't like the feel of 'cold steel.'? The Wilkinson Sword black plastic razor is a great compromise of a plastic safety bar, is fast but still uses DE blades.

I don’t think plastic or steel makes a difference once you start shaving. Sometimes some people think the more they spend the shave must be better maybe for justif

l don’t think plastic or steel makes a difference once you start shaving imo

Agreed, when I started shaving there were only de, straight and electric. I used a de and had to get good at it with practice. When carts came out trac ii, I used it right away same great shaves. I do believe carts are faster which is what people are looking for these days. If carts did not give good shaves equal to de, people like myself who had no carts to start would have gone back to de for good. Just my thoughts
Yes, this is the advantage of the modern cartridge razor: speed. It is an extremely fast shave and without the clogging and ingrown hair issues of the older cartridge razors, e.g. Trac II's. The disadvantages are cost (outrageous) and compared to say a straight razor, excessive exfoliation. They just are not that good for your skin.

Yes, this is the advantage of the modern cartridge razor: speed. It is an extremely fast shave and without the clogging and ingrown hair issues of the older cartridge razors, e.g. Trac II's. The disadvantages are cost (outrageous) and compared to say a straight razor, excessive exfoliation. They just are not that good for your skin.
Exfoliation is good, keeps your skin young. It becomes eccessive just when you apply too much pressure. if you have a good technique you won't have any problem with whatever razor.
That said, since someone asked my about my preferred razors here they are.
IMG_20200629_135516.jpgIMG_20200714_092200.jpgIMG_20200714_092214.jpgIMG_20200714_092241.jpgIMG_20200714_092130.jpg

PS: @Sabre it looks definitely the Cien is a Personna Magnum 5 .Do you know where i could find blade replacements?

Attachments

• IMG_20200714_092253.jpg
    IMG_20200714_092253.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 11
Exfoliation is good, keeps your skin young. It becomes eccessive just when you apply too much pressure. if you have a good technique you won't have any problem with whatever razor.
That said, since someone asked my about my preferred razors here they are.
View attachment 1125509View attachment 1125511View attachment 1125512View attachment 1125513View attachment 1125510

PS: @Sabre it looks definitely the Cien is a Personna Magnum 5 .Do you know where i could find blade replacements?
You are dragging five blades across your face (Gillette Fusion). In a double pass shave that is ten blades, and worse if you buff. Compared to a double pass SR shave that is five times the exfoliation and you can't adjust the blade angle so even more unnecessary exfoliation where you could get by with a much shallower angle, e.g. your neck.

The cartridge blades are also duller than DE blades so inherently you use more pressure, and thus more exfoliation.

The test is your aftershave. If it stings, you exfoliated too much. Since switching to an SR years ago, my A/S never stings, just tingles.

Leave the exfoliation to your brush and do as little damage as possible with your blade(s).

You are dragging five blades across your face (Gillette Fusion). In a double pass shave that is ten blades, and worse if you buff. Compared to a double pass SR shave that is five times the exfoliation and you can't adjust the blade angle so even more unnecessary exfoliation where you could get by with a much shallower angle, e.g. your neck.

The cartridge blades are also duller than DE blades so inherently you use more pressure, and thus more exfoliation.

The test is your aftershave. If it stings, you exfoliated too much. Since switching to an SR years ago, my A/S never stings, just tingles.

Leave the exfoliation to your brush and do as little damage as possible with your blade(s).
rotfl this joke about dragging (n) blades being more irritiating is old. Please. The blade quality of the cartridges is no worse (or better) than De blades. And a good blade exfoliation is way better than every brush. It's obivous: with the blade(s) you remove the outer (and old and "dead) skin cells. You obviously cannot do that witth a simple brush. The irritation factor is only about technique, regardless of the hardware you decide to use. And you know it.

rotfl this joke about dragging (n) blades being more irritiating is old. Please. The blade quality of the cartridges is no worse (or better) than De blades. And a good blade exfoliation is way better than every brush. It's obivous: with the blade(s) you remove the outer (and old and "dead) skin cells. You obviously cannot do that witth a simple brush. The irritation factor is only about technique, regardless of the hardware you decide to use. And you know it.
We disagree.

As I said, do the aftershave test if you really want to know.

We disagree.

As I said, do the aftershave test if you really want to know.
you disagree because you're obviously biased. I never had any irritation with whatever multiblades i used. And i don't have a particularly strong skin or whatever. I just learned to use good wet-shaving techniques , good lathering (with or without brushes), good knowledge of my beard map, two (WTG/ATG) ot three (WTG/XTG/ATG) passes plus touch-ups (if required) , almost no pressure, etc. and my results have always been the same. Lucky? Definitely i don't believe so.

Can anyone enlighten me about blade/refill compatibility across the various head configurations of carts.

What blades/refills fit what handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom