What's new

Loving Cella

What is the right way, move all the soap into a shaving bowl like Captains Choice or as needed?
There really is no "right" way; it's your shave so do whatever works for you. If I were using a bowl for building lather, I would scoop just enough for the shave. My tub of Cella (which I also agree is too small to load the brush) has a consistency closer to a cream than a croap, so I scoop just enough for the shave; I treat it like a tube of Proraso that's been moved to a tub. My softer soaps (or croaps) like an Arko stick or a chunk of Cella from a brick get pressed into a spare container that's used as a loading bowl. I might use it all or just enough for a day, week, or longer. The hard soaps (refills or smaller pucks like Williams or Haslinger) get grated and pressed into a loading bowl. Either way, I only load my brush and build lather in the same bowl if I've only scooped enough for the one shave.

There really is no "right" way; it's your shave so do whatever works for you. If I were using a bowl for building lather, I would scoop just enough for the shave. My tub of Cella (which I also agree is too small to load the brush) has a consistency closer to a cream than a croap, so I scoop just enough for the shave; I treat it like a tube of Proraso that's been moved to a tub. My softer soaps (or croaps) like an Arko stick or a chunk of Cella from a brick get pressed into a spare container that's used as a loading bowl. I might use it all or just enough for a day, week, or longer. The hard soaps (refills or smaller pucks like Williams or Haslinger) get grated and pressed into a loading bowl. Either way, I only load my brush and build lather in the same bowl if I've only scooped enough for the one shave.
This. But for me I don’t grate my hard pucks. Except for the TOBS bowls I use a different bowl to lather in. It’s just a personal preference

Reactions: bjm
Can someone describe the scent on the Extra Extra Bio (blue container) Cella?

From Cella's website:
"crisp, delicate fragrance of pink pepper and precious woods will accompany you all day long" and

"exclusive fragrance starts out with a blend of fruity notes combined with the crisp scent of pink pepper. The heart is a perfect blend of the elegant notes of Damask rose and jasmine, surrounded by the smoky aura of birch. The base is sublimed by notes of labdanum, precious woods and amber adding exceptional warmth and unrivalled persistence."

I am not good with scents, but I get some woody orange (reminds me of Terre D'Hermes, but not as good or intense). It's a very good "Italian cologne" smell. It does not feel cheap at all. It is fresh, warm, manly. Very nice

When I use the after shave I think of myself on a summer vacation by the Mediterranean Sea, shaving before going for a nice dinner following a great day on the beach. Fresh, warm, elegant.

PS: It does not last very long.

I just tried cella (the red tub) and find that it is good value for the money relative to other soaps. I likes its lather more than la toja though it falls short to TOBS in this respect. Scent is fairly strong and acceptable to me. It is not as slick and doesnt have much post shave feel unlike the new wave american artisanal soaps though but that is not its wheelhouse.

What is the right way, move all the soap into a shaving bowl like Captains Choice or as needed?
Personally, when it comes to hard pucks, I’ll load the brush in my shave mug (with the puck in it) and then build the lather in my Captains Choice bowl. I don’t mind the extra effort/clean up time.

My TOBS cream I’ll scoop an almond-sized portion out with my finger and put it into the CC bowl and lather that way.

Stick I’ll switch it up between face and bowl lather.

Very interested to see what the texture of Cella is like for myself. Either way I’ll be experimenting tomorrow after work! As a fairly new wet shaver, Half the fun to me is experimenting with what works for me and what clearly doesn’t 😂

I just tried cella (the red tub) and find that it is good value for the money relative to other soaps. I likes its lather more than la toja though it falls short to TOBS in this respect. Scent is fairly strong and acceptable to me. It is not as slick and doesnt have much post shave feel unlike the new wave american artisanal soaps though but that is not its wheelhouse.
Cella will lose a lot of the scent if you leave it open to the air for several days.

To get more slickness, load plenty of soap and add a little more water than you think you need. Try face lathering Cella if you are not doing that.

Post-shave feel is actually very good in terms of how the skin feels moisturized and softened long after the shave. Cella doesn't dry out the skin, in my experience -- that's the important thing. It rinses clean and does not leave an oily layer behind. That is something I appreciate.

Cella will lose a lot of the scent if you leave it open to the air for several days.

To get more slickness, load plenty of soap and add a little more water than you think you need. Try face lathering Cella if you are not doing that.

Post-shave feel is actually very good in terms of how the skin feels moisturized and softened long after the shave. Cella doesn't dry out the skin, in my experience -- that's the important thing. It rinses clean and does not leave an oily layer behind. That is something I appreciate.

I agree it doesnt dry out the face. I will try your tips the next time I use t in the rotation - thanks ! .

Just got home and was finally able to open it and do a test lather. Can’t wait to shave with this stuff later tonight or tomorrow. Love the smell of it too.
CC81CCD9-0E94-4E36-9CBE-2CE96D25FC10.jpeg

Let us know how the shave goes for you. I haven't seen a negative comment about this soap from anyone who has tried it. Its incredible stuff.
Absolutely. Got a lot of new stuff going on today so I’ll be interested to see how it all flows.

Along with Cella, I’ll be trying out the Merkur 34G for the first time.

So I just used Cella and really enjoyed it. Very slick and provided some great protection for the shave. I did a few test lathers with my new Yaqi brush and boy is it different loading that up vs my 20mm Suavecito brush. So I was a bit apprehensive using a new brush AND a new soap.

All in all I was very pleased using this and it will for sure be in my regular rotation. Stuff smells great to when it’s lathered onto your face.

Cella Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima is good stuff; good scent, easy to lather, great cushion, great slickness and good post-shave feel. It's in the top half of the soaps and creams I've tried but there's other soaps I like better so I doubt I'll be buying any more. I might have to try the Bio version though.

Top Bottom