What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Scott, sounds like the hardware is OK, maybe try a paddle strop aka a piece of smooth leather on flat table edge. That should change up your stropping a little.

If you want me to hone an edge for you to compare to the DE, I’d be happy to oblige.

Good luck,

Steve

Scott, sounds like the hardware is OK, maybe try a paddle strop aka a piece of smooth leather on flat table edge. That should change up your stropping a little.

If you want me to hone an edge for you to compare to the DE, I’d be happy to oblige.

Good luck,

Steve

I have a paddle strop for the road. I just might take you up on that. I have had others sharpen for me and the edges are good, but mine are too close for comparison.

It might be a technique issue, but I don’t think so. The HHT test has never worked for me. My hair is very fine. It’s as though a cushion of air blows it down ahead of the blade.

I might get a cherry tomato to verify that the bevel is good. If so, maybe go back to 4K and 8K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a paddle strop for the road. I just might take you up on that. I have had others sharpen for me and the edges are good, but mine are too close for comparison.

It might be a technique issue, but I don’t think so. The HHT test has never worked for me. My hair is very fine. It’s as though a cushion of air blows it down ahead of the blade.

I might get a cherry tomato to verify that the bevel is good. If so, maybe go back to 4K and 8K.

HHT and my "belly hair clipin'" standards are what I go by. during bevel set.....weight of blade slicing maraschino cherries with only very slight movement forward or rearward.....plus theyre good to eat or making a cherry coke!!

camo

I know we have a similar thread in the general shaving section but I felt there was a need for one particularly using SR's (that includes shavette style razors).

SR shavers normally have a longer learning curve. I know I do. Even after over 150 SR shaves, I'm still learning with every shave.

when doing my inverted jawline (W to E on Left side and E to W on the Right side) clearing.......skin stretching at ear/jaw and then midline yields great results for me. a little upward pull clears a lot of underneath the jaw too, after I've relaxed the skin to evaluate cleared lather.

I use my right hand for the left side and left for the right side. only way to pull inverted stunt off and still have a visual on the blade edge.

camo

HHT and my "belly hair clipin'" standards are what I go by. during bevel set.....weight of blade slicing maraschino cherries with only very slight movement forward or rearward.....plus theyre good to eat or making a cherry coke!!

camo

The cherry thing I can relate to. The HHT might work, but I need some real hair I guess. My hair has always been very fine, so I don’t know if that’s my issue.

When I finish the blade it seems very sharp and I get a decent shave, but the blade goes to pot within 5-8 shaves. That makes me think it might not quite be there.

The fact that I have fine hair might make shaving harder, because the hair bends out of the way easier. I don’t know.

The cherry thing I can relate to. The HHT might work, but I need some real hair I guess. My hair has always been very fine, so I don’t know if that’s my issue.

When I finish the blade it seems very sharp and I get a decent shave, but the blade goes to pot within 5-8 shaves. That makes me think it might not quite be there.

The fact that I have fine hair might make shaving harder, because the hair bends out of the way easier. I don’t know.

thats why I use the belly hair (thicker)

my arm hair is way too thin. when I run this test I immediately know the sharpness. couple hairs are good. if I feel a constant tick....tick...tick I know I'm in the money. I did this one time and the wife said she could hear it "pinging".

the things I do......madness.

camo

Did you say what your progression is from bevel to finish and how long/how many strokes per level you are doing? Sorry if i missed it.

Did you say what your progression is from bevel to finish and how long/how many strokes per level you are doing? Sorry if i missed it.

No, I didn’t. I set the bevel on 1K, checking it with arm shaving and cherry tomato slicing under weight of blade.

Then about 100 laps on each 4K and 8K. At that point, I might get two or three hairs to cut 1/4” above my arm.

Then it’s off to 12K Naniwa. I do about 100 laps and at least until I feel the blade sucking down onto the stone and a few laps beyond that.

Then back to the 12K, if I’m not happy.

At any point during the laps on the 4 and 8 can you feel the change? Have you tried shaving off the 4 or the 8K?

I shave my arm after 4K and 8K both. The blade seems to be fine. After the 12K it seems pretty darn good except for the pesty chin hairs, which might be a technique issue.

I have been going XTG on the third pass over the chin, holding the blade firmly and well choked up. That seems t be doing well, but the blade rapidly loses its edge.

Cutting chin hairs isn’t technique IME, its edge related. What razor is it? Whats the bevel angle if you can check?

I suggest if your bevel is apex great, then maybe don't do so many laps on the subsequents.

Cutting chin hairs isn’t technique IME, its edge related. What razor is it? Whats the bevel angle if you can check?

I suggest if your bevel is apex great, then maybe don't do so many laps on the subsequents.

It’s a Ralph Aust 6/8 round nose with thumb notch. I font have a way to measure but it is determined by edge and spine. The blade is about 2 years old.

So I’m fairly sure the geometry and condition are fine. I probably need to reset the bevel. It came shave ready from Straight a Razor Designs. I bought in their shop right before they went out of business.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I learned to always fill a bucket up with water the night before for when there is no water available in the morning.

Now all I can do is wait for the Filipinos to "fix" things.

This morning I learned to always fill a bucket up with water the night before for when there is no water available in the morning.

Now all I can do is wait for the Filipinos to "fix" things.
That sucks. I suppose a bucket of sea water wouldn’t be much good for a carbon steel blade.

Finally nailed the water content ratio for Nauvia Blue. It seems to have a narrow ideal water content range but when you get it right it’s really good stuff.

It’s a Ralph Aust 6/8 round nose with thumb notch. I font have a way to measure but it is determined by edge and spine. The blade is about 2 years old.

So I’m fairly sure the geometry and condition are fine. I probably need to reset the bevel. It came shave ready from Straight a Razor Designs. I bought in their shop right before they went out of business.

I have a 6/8 Ralf Aust. I can get a decent edge on it, but not as good as some of my others. Using a Sharpie, I discovered a very slight unevenness to the grind on the non-show side. Started working on fixing that and the edge has gotten better. I still have a way to go to get the edge where I want it to be.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Finally got water.

This morning I shaved with probably the wettest Proraso cream lather I have ever used - almost dripping off my face. I face lather. This helped give me one of my best shaves using the Titan ACRM-2 Veneris razor from my M7DS.

In future I will keep aiming for a lather of this quality. Works great for me.

I have a 6/8 Ralf Aust. I can get a decent edge on it, but not as good as some of my others. Using a Sharpie, I discovered a very slight unevenness to the grind on the non-show side. Started working on fixing that and the edge has gotten better. I still have a way to go to get the edge where I want it to be.

Interesting. I’ll have to look for that. Never would have thought so.

Top Bottom