What's new

Smokey Scotch suggestions

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Smokehead, seriously in your face smoke

I recently tried that for the first time. It was not as much of a novelty whisky as the name suggests, but I wasn't all that impressed. It wasn't bad, but it's at least $10-15 overpriced. Ardbeg 10 is roughly the same price and far superior. If I'm really up for putting my head in the firebox, I'll pick up Laphroaig 10 (and save a few bucks at the same time I enjoy a better whiskey).

I've also had several bottles of the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition, 12 Year I believe.

It's 16. I don't know if it's the same juice as the standard 16 but just finished differently (and I imagine it is), but it is a 16-year age statement.

I recently tried that for the first time. It was not as much of a novelty whisky as the name suggests, but I wasn't all that impressed. It wasn't bad, but it's at least $10-15 overpriced. Ardbeg 10 is roughly the same price and far superior. If I'm really up for putting my head in the firebox, I'll pick up Laphroaig 10 (and save a few bucks at the same time I enjoy a better whiskey).

It's 16. I don't know if it's the same juice as the standard 16 but just finished differently (and I imagine it is), but it is a 16-year age statement.

I stand corrected. I had a bottle of the Limited Edition, which was a 12 Year and cost about $100. I also had a bottle of the Cask Strength, which was also 12 Year. I also still have a Distiller's Edition unopened that as you point out is a 16 Year. It was distilled in 1999 and bottled in 2015. Now that I realize what I have, I'm salivating at what it must taste like.

image.png
image.png
image.png

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I also still have a Distiller's Edition unopened that as you point out is a 16 Year. It was distilled in 1999 and bottled in 2015.

I've enjoyed all the ones I've tried, but that particular year is my very, very favorite. I've squirreled away a few bottles, myself. :a23:

Recently tried Ardbegs uigeadail at about 54% which was a lovely drop. Laga 16 and 8 of course are special as is Talisker 10’to me as I always find it when on holiday so it brings me lots of memories. Talisker make a great 18 year old too.

For smoky Scotches I'd recommend Laphroaig 10, QC, 10 year Cask Strength; Ardbeg 10; Lagavulin 16; Port Charlotte, for starters. And if I want the added sherry cask influence, I like Bowmore 15 and Ardbeg Uigeadail. At any rate go with what you like...there is so much out there to experience.

Laphroaig 10 is the poor man's Lagavulin 16. My financial reality does not allow for $100 bottles of scotch.

And I'm not against blends either if they can approach the smokiness level of Islay single malts. I just haven't really found one that nails it yet.

Laphroaig 10 is the poor man's Lagavulin 16. My financial reality does not allow for $100 bottles of scotch.

And I'm not against blends either if they can approach the smokiness level of Islay single malts. I just haven't really found one that nails it yet.

You don't have to avoid Lagavulin altogether. Lagavulin came out with an 8 Year which is priced about the same as the Laphroig. It's very much like the 16 but just a little less smokey, a little less peaty and a little less dark in color. But it still maintains that inescapable Lagavulin flavor. I will always have a bottle of each in my bar as long as they make them. I had heard the 8 was supposed to be limited edition but then I began hearing it is now a joining the 16 as a regular offering. The Total Wine near me shows the 8 in stock so that rumor may be true.

If you can get it in the USA, Bunnahabhain 12 years old is an excellent Islay malt at the more reasonably priced end of the scale. It's fairly light on the peat for an Islay, but with a nice complex flavour. Another I like with more peat is Pig's Nose Islay Blend. As the name implies, it is blended, but all the constituents are malts. Very nice and not expensive.

Thanks to this thread, I now found more Lagavulin I need to try. There is a Lagavulin Nick Offerman 11 Year limited edition out there. B&B is truly the most enabling site on the internet, in my experience. If anyone has had the Nick Offerman, please share your thoughts on it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Thanks to this thread, I now found more Lagavulin I need to try. There is a Lagavulin Nick Offerman 11 Year limited edition out there. B&B is truly the most enabling site on the internet, in my experience. If anyone has had the Nick Offerman, please share your thoughts on it.

I just finished a bottle (RIP Thread). I liked it, and I'm glad I got it, but I'm not concerned about getting any more. It was worth the "celebrity premium" once but not twice. I prefer the 16 for $10 less or the Distiller's Edition for the same price.

I don't mean to discourage you getting some, though, if you are interested. As I mentioned, I found it worth the celebrity premium . . . once. It was fun to share as folks got a kick out of it (and so did I).

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

Have you tried Shieldag's Islay single malt? It certainly is not on the same level as much of what's been talked about in this thread, but it's an excellent value at around $20/bottle.

I learned about the stuff from a buddy who was making Chimney Sweeps for a dessert (scoop of vanilla ice cream, 1/2 shot of Islay whisky, generous sprinkle of ground espresso or instant espresso). It ain't terrible on it's own, though. :biggrin1:

Have you tried Shieldag's Islay single malt? It certainly is not on the same level as much of what's been talked about in this thread, but it's an excellent value at around $20/bottle.

I learned about the stuff from a buddy who was making Chimney Sweeps for a dessert (scoop of vanilla ice cream, 1/2 shot of Islay whisky, generous sprinkle of ground espresso or instant espresso). It ain't terrible on it's own, though. :biggrin1:

I haven't! But now I want try it AND a Chimney Sweep!

I just finished a bottle (RIP Thread). I liked it, and I'm glad I got it, but I'm not concerned about getting any more. It was worth the "celebrity premium" once but not twice. I prefer the 16 for $10 less or the Distiller's Edition for the same price.

I don't mean to discourage you getting some, though, if you are interested. As I mentioned, I found it worth the celebrity premium . . . once. It was fun to share as folks got a kick out of it (and so did I).

I understand what you mean. Were you able to distinguish any differences between the Offerman and the regular 16? That will help me decide if I want to even consider trying it. Also, I have no idea who Nick Offerman is. Otherwise I have an unopened Distiller's Edition in the basement along with unopened bottles of the 8 and 16.

PS. Just looked up who Offerman is. Parks and Recreation. I was never a fan of that show so his name on a bottle of scotch does nothing for me. But if there is actually a reason to get it because it offers something not experienced with the others, then maybe.

The younger Lagavulin is at a slightly higher proof
and a slightly lower price, both of which are factors that I like,
but the longer aged one is my favorite tasting Scotch.

The smokiness of Lagavulin reminds me of the old
"Where's The Beef? " Wendy's commercials,
except I'm thinking that Lagavulin is the answer
to where's the smoke?

Last edited:
The younger Lagavulin is at a slightly higher proof
and a slightly lower price, both of which are factors that I like,
but the longer aged one is my favorite tasting Scotch.

The smokiness of Lagavulin reminds me of the old
"Where's The Beef? " Wendy's commercials,
except I'm thinking that Lagavulin is the answer
to where's the smoke?

I think I get it. Your second paragraph is EXACTLY what I'm thinking every time I go and buy some other brand of scotch to try it out and then after that bottle is gone, I pour myself a glass of Lagavulin 16 and a smile grows across my face and I say to myself "Now THAT'S what I've been missing." It's not just the smoke though. It's the combination of the smoke, peat and the saltiness of the peat they use given it's proximity to the ocean. It's distinctive. It's unique. Sure, there are other smokey peaty scotches but none of them tastes even remotely the same to me. So, when I taste that goodness in my glass my mind is saying "I've come home."

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I haven't! But now I want try it AND a Chimney Sweep!

They are a lot of fun and rather tasty. I like pressing down the ice cream to make a well for the Scotch (like one does with hummus and olive oil) and just sprinkling the espresso all over.

Were you able to distinguish any differences between the Offerman and the regular 16?

I really couldn't pick up on anything that made it stand out, but I also never did a side-by-side with the 16. That's one thing I would've liked to do, but I also was ready to move the bottle on out and make room. Again, it was good stuff, and I was glad I bought it once.

Both Offerman and his character on P&R (Ron Swanson) have been vocal fans of Laguvulin.

They are a lot of fun and rather tasty. I like pressing down the ice cream to make a well for the Scotch (like one does with hummus and olive oil) and just sprinkling the espresso all over.

I really couldn't pick up on anything that made it stand out, but I also never did a side-by-side with the 16. That's one thing I would've liked to do, but I also was ready to move the bottle on out and make room. Again, it was good stuff, and I was glad I bought it once.

Both Offerman and his character on P&R (Ron Swanson) have been vocal fans of Laguvulin.

Chimney Sweep you say? Hmmmm. I am a big fan of Affogato. Vanilla ice cream with brewed espresso poured over it. So, this ice cream/scotch/expresso concoction sounds extremely intriguing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I learned about the stuff from a buddy who was making Chimney Sweeps for a dessert (scoop of vanilla ice cream, 1/2 shot of Islay whisky, generous sprinkle of ground espresso or instant espresso).

This reminded me of ... decades ago ... having a special lunch at what was generally accepted to be the fanciest restaurant in our small town. Anyhow, for dessert I had a sundae sort of concoction that consisted of vanilla ice cream and Drambuie.

... mmm!!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Drambuie—two of the stupidest things I have ever done. And both were at choir practice.
Young and stupid

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
This reminded me of ... decades ago ... having a special lunch at what was generally accepted to be the fanciest restaurant in our small town. Anyhow, for dessert I had a sundae sort of concoction that consisted of vanilla ice cream and Drambuie.

... mmm!!

That does not sound like a waste of time. Not at all.

Top Bottom