What's new

Micromatic Monday

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A picture is worth a thousand words...

But, you are probably right. If the retaining mechanism needs stops contacting the corner of the edge, then missing corners are probably s problem.

But ... If it doesn't use blade stops, then it may accept a "shorter" (spine to edge) blade???
It does have blade stops. I'll get some pics and post them.

Think I'll also grab some of the Wedge Adapters on Etsy.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
The wedge blades I got with the Star have chunks out of the corners of the edge and smaller chunks out of the cutting edge. Doesn't look like that would lend itself to being fixed.

Wondering if anyone has ever tried using a ruined wedge blade as a "wedge" part way under a regular GEM blade?

Or am I just "Whistling Dixie"? ;)

(Yes, that was a "Josie Wales" reference. ;))
Never heard of anyone using a ruined/shortened wedge as a "shim" for a modern blade. I agree with Alan, blade stops are really the deciding factor. A modern blade will usually work if you've got blade stops in the front to catch the blade and a spring/clip in the back to provide tension and keep the blade from slipping backwards when you're shaving. The side clips just keep the blade in alignment and from moving side to side. Most folks like to shim the back end of the modern blade so that you get that "wedge-effect" angle....I suspect it affects the blade gap and possible blade exposure.

I find the Kampfe Star's very shaveable with a modern blade, but they deliver a harsher shave (IMO) then a Gem Jr Bar.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Never heard of anyone using a ruined/shortened wedge as a "shim" for a modern blade. I agree with Alan, blade stops are really the deciding factor. A modern blade will usually work if you've got blade stops in the front to catch the blade and a spring/clip in the back to provide tension and keep the blade from slipping backwards when you're shaving. The side clips just keep the blade in alignment and from moving side to side. Most folks like to shim the back end of the modern blade so that you get that "wedge-effect" angle....I suspect it affects the blade gap and possible blade exposure.

I find the Kampfe Star's very shaveable with a modern blade, but they deliver a harsher shave (IMO) then a Gem Jr Bar.

Thank you, Fred. I appreciate the reassurance. :)

Comparing the blade angle between the Star and the G Bar, with standard GEM blade in place, the blade/head angle is different. You can see why folks would try to wedge the spine of the GEM blade up in the Star.

All-in-all, though, I believe that the Star will shave just fine - albeit with some possible adjustment in technique. ;)

I am looking forward to the experience. :)

IMG_20200518_082630.jpg

GEM Damaskeene + GEM stainless(10)/Saponificio VARESINO/Shavemac badger

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1101529
GEM Damaskeene + GEM stainless(10)/Saponificio VARESINO/Shavemac badger
Saponificio VARESINO ,I tried one of their aftershaves in a sample packet and really enjoyed it.(Cosmo)
It seems when I was near water in a sink or basin it would regenerate a little whiff of fragrance & a pleasant one to.
They have been around for a while also and one of the best products for shaving, they sell "tons"as in weight of their soaps in Europe every year.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday May 18th 2020.

Razor: Gem Push button -Mfg 1958-65 I like the looks of this Razor and with it being black & gold sets it off to my eye.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) - One of the best all around blades in my den.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- one of my favorites for scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi timberwolf whiskers 24mm - Very nice brush to apply lather to my face, soft tips & has not let me down.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + clean up.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave with witch hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm on beard area.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= :a17: Just a excellent shave with my Gem push-button.
GEMonday May18,2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Push Button day it seems.

My Pushbutton was very ‘user grade’, not a looker. I PIFed it.

But... the Gem Carbon Steel is back in an ASR razor for Micromatic Monday.

I finally put a bunch of empty shave stick tubes on an order, spent some time loading them up. Today’s shave is one result. The unexpected result was recruiting the LOTH to shave sticks (gasp!!).

Saturday she had me put some Cella in a jar to replace her Ivory soap. That huge improvement opened her eyes.

When she saw me loading up RazoRock sticks she instantly grasped the advantages of a shave stick in a plastic tube for a shower shaver. After giving all my new sticks a quick sniff, she instantly grasped my old reliable Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage, and Cedar stick. I’ve seen the last of that one.

Now I need to wean her off the Gillette Venus.

Next up, an actual Micromatic shave report.

Forgot the morning picture but I used a Clog Pruf for the first time.

Really enjoyed it. I love my MMOC but it's one of my most aggressive razors. I tend to do a 2 pass shave to avoid irritation with it.

Was able to do 3 pass shave with no weepers or irritation and probably the smoothest shave I've had in a week with the Clog Pruf.

I am a fan!

GEM Carbon Steel shave 6

MMOC
RR Green Label stick + ‘Cool Conk’ amber stick
Alum, Lucky Tiger, bay rum mix
8FEAEC2E-24C8-4C99-8ADA-F359E340D992.jpeg

Might be the fast, overly casual, stick fighting approach to lathering. It might be the edge losing a bit of its edge. Hey, it might even be due to shaving before coffee.

Just CCS, attempting to sneak into DFS territory after all the post-shave product. Alum and the bay rum mix revealed some irritation that not even a Lucky Tiger could mitigate.

I will give this blade another run out tomorrow, to make sure it’s the blade and not one of those confounding factors. I might even do a MMOC v Starling OC side-by-side, ostensibly for carbon science, but more likely just to sneak a modern Gem razor past the checkpoint.

GEM Carbon Steel shave 6

MMOC
RR Green Label stick + ‘Cool Conk’ amber stick
Alum, Lucky Tiger, bay rum mix
View attachment 1101718
Might be the fast, overly casual, stick fighting approach to lathering. It might be the edge losing a bit of its edge. Hey, it might even be due to shaving before coffee.

Just CCS, attempting to sneak into DFS territory after all the post-shave product. Alum and the bay rum mix revealed some irritation that not even a Lucky Tiger could mitigate.

I will give this blade another run out tomorrow, to make sure it’s the blade and not one of those confounding factors. I might even do a MMOC v Starling OC side-by-side, ostensibly for carbon science, but more likely just to sneak a modern Gem razor past the checkpoint.

I bring coffee along for the shave.....just gotta clear areas between passes to sneak a sip.

camo

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200518
20200518_081411~2.jpg

Razor: Kampfe Star Jewel, @camoloc Handle
Blade: Personna GEM (7)
Brush: Turn-N-Shave Chess Synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat/Cremo combination
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Cologne: Primitive Man Eau de Toilette Spray (Sauvage clone)

WTG, XTG & ATG. Moderate touch-up.

DFS with one minor weeper, no nicks, cuts or irritation.

Shaving with the Kampfe Star Jewel was a bit of a challenge without a Wedge Blade and using a standard GEM blade without a Wedge Adapter. Even using a very shallow angle, it was a challenge. I ended up shimming the back of the blade with a paperclip and was able to complete my shave much more comfortably and effectively.
20200518_095457~2.jpg
20200518_095417~2.jpg

The paperclip was really not an optimal solution. To really get the best out of this razor, it deserves a Wedge Adapter (already ordered from Etsy) or, better yet, a properly honed Wedge Blade.

I like this razor and want to give it a fair shake. As soon as I get my Wedge Adapter in, I will be shaving with the Star again. :)

YMMV :)

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star H-R14B Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM Carbon Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Omega Alum Stick
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Using 3d printed wedge adapter.
The wedge adapter worked well and I have my usual close shave after three passes with some irritation. With most of the Gem razors I have tried the across the grain pass on my neck is difficult. I have decided that with these razors I should just shave with the grain and against in future.
PSX_20200517_094229.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star H-R14B Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM Carbon Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Omega Alum Stick
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Using 3d printed wedge adapter.
The wedge adapter worked well and I have my usual close shave after three passes with some irritation. With most of the Gem razors I have tried the across the grain pass on my neck is difficult. I have decided that with these razors I should just shave with the grain and against in future.
View attachment 1101747
Does the wedge adapter fit the GEM blade 'as is' or did you have to de-spine the GEM?

Top Bottom