What's new

Micromatic Monday

What do the hops do to the witch hazel?

Probably the hops just add scent. Though I no longer brew beer, I still have hops in the yard. When they flower, I frequently find myself crushing a flower or two in my hands, inhaling the hop oils, and perhaps leaving a trace of a smile on my face.

From there, it was a short step to steeping hops in ethanol to get a deep green, strongly scented extract. If I wasn’t so lazy I would steam extract the essential oils.

That ethanol extract, mixed with an unscented water based witch hazel from Stirling and some other AS standard ingredients makes an ‘astringent’ with a solid, but rapidly fading hop oil scent. Feels great, does not smell like stale beer. Probably cures some skin condition, but I haven’t chosen one yet.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Greetings all -- and as I'm sure you already know -- Micromatic Monday / GEMonday APPROACHES!!!!! :thumbup:

While any and all American Safety Razor brands using a GEM-style blade (i.e., Gem, Ever-Ready, Star and Treet) are welcome, my choice for this Monday will be THE Micromatic that started me on my path to shaving with Gem-style blade razors: an Open Comb Micromatic (or Micromatic Open Comb...MMOC). My first MMOC was a later model that contained the internal "blade bumps" for GEM's newly introduced line of razor blades (as I understand it).

That's my choice, but what is yours? Will it be Iron Man, Thor, Captain America.....ummm, wait.....that's the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe)....let's start over. Will it be a Micromatic or a much older Gem, or a younger Treet, a much older Star (lather catcher)? Much like the MCU, there are lots of choices.....but unlike the MCU, our choices are not in a constant state of flux.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's shaves, it will be nice break from me binge watching comic book movies (in case you couldn't guess).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Greetings all -- and as I'm sure you already know -- Micromatic Monday / GEMonday APPROACHES!!!!! :thumbup:

While any and all American Safety Razor brands using a GEM-style blade (i.e., Gem, Ever-Ready, Star and Treet) are welcome, my choice for this Monday will be THE Micromatic that started me on my path to shaving with Gem-style blade razors: an Open Comb Micromatic (or Micromatic Open Comb...MMOC). My first MMOC was a later model that contained the internal "blade bumps" for GEM's newly introduced line of razor blades (as I understand it).

That's my choice, but what is yours? Will it be Iron Man, Thor, Captain America.....ummm, wait.....that's the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe)....let's start over. Will it be a Micromatic or a much older Gem, or a younger Treet, a much older Star (lather catcher)? Much like the MCU, there are lots of choices.....but unlike the MCU, our choices are not in a constant state of flux.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's shaves, it will be nice break from me binge watching comic book movies (in case you couldn't guess).
Funny you mentioned Iron Man, I watched Iron man 3 on Netflix last night- almost to much action for me but in hind sight it keep my attention away from the real world for a couple of hrs. Now I'm back to shaving world, I'm thinking of my push button for a GEMonday.

Flintstone65

Still deciding, but I have it married down to either the MMOC or the Damaskeene...
Can't go wrong with either of those!
I think I am going to screw up my nerve and try my Kampfe Star 1902 lather catcher with a wedge adapter and carbon blade. Plan B is the Gem Jr. baton handle.
I think you're going to like the Lather Catcher with the wedge adapter (or perhaps even without), but that's an excellent Plan B you've got there as well!

Flintstone65

MMOC with Gem Carbon Steel for me! But today is the maiden voyage of the SS Alu Starling, so you won’t see the likes of me infesting this wharf. I’ll be sailing the open seas of Single Edge Sunday. :pirate:
I'll look for you there. I spent a couple of weeks with that vessel (it was a Pass-Around in much different waters)....I'll check out your SES post to see how your voyage went.

Flintstone65

Was thinking of the MMOC or my new (to me) Kampfe Star. Can the Kampfe Star be used with a standard GEM blade? Any compromises as a result?

Thank you. :)
I've used mine many times with a standard GEM blade -- it's not a problem at all. I've not successfully honed one of my wedge blades for it yet, but I've heard those shaves are VERY nice. I find the standard Gem blades (without an adapter or shim) work perfectly fine.

I've used mine many times with a standard GEM blade -- it's not a problem at all. I've not successfully honed one of my wedge blades for it yet, but I've heard those shaves are VERY nice. I find the standard Gem blades (without an adapter or shim) work perfectly fine.

Fred - I'd be happy to hone a wedge for you if you're interested. I hate the thought of not using the original blade and therefore not getting the original experience. PM me if you are interested.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fred - I'd be happy to hone a wedge for you if you're interested. I hate the thought of not using the original blade and therefore not getting the original experience. PM me if you are interested.
The wedge blades I got with the Star have chunks out of the corners of the edge and smaller chunks out of the cutting edge. Doesn't look like that would lend itself to being fixed.

Wondering if anyone has ever tried using a ruined wedge blade as a "wedge" part way under a regular GEM blade?

Or am I just "Whistling Dixie"? ;)

(Yes, that was a "Josie Wales" reference. ;))

The wedge blades I got with the Star have chunks out of the corners of the edge and smaller chunks out of the cutting edge. Doesn't look like that would lend itself to being fixed.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

But, you are probably right. If the retaining mechanism needs stops contacting the corner of the edge, then missing corners are probably s problem.

But ... If it doesn't use blade stops, then it may accept a "shorter" (spine to edge) blade???

Top Bottom