What's new

What TV series you watching?

I'm in the middle of watching Timothy Bradley vs Ruslan Provodnikov and I keep thinking about the Sopranos, lol. James Gandolfini's portrayal of Tony Soprano is really something special. The characterisation has a breadth that Bryan Cranston as Walter White doesn't have quite so much of, much as I love it. Tony Soprano transforms psychologically and physically from the first episode to the last in a way that is, and here I'll use a much over used word, epic. I'm tempted to say that it's the single greatest acting performance I've ever seen.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yep, as portrayed brilliantly in this scene. An arch manipulator and opportunist at work. The acting, writing, everything about this programme is superb, as good as I've seen in TV and Cinema.

Yep. That twisted satisfied grin at the end as she looks out the window, task accomplished.

I did watch something about it a few years ago and seem to remember mob members being consulted and used throughout, even in some of the acting roles. I think David Chase was involved in most of it. Olivia Soprano was apparently based on his own mother.

I'm not surprised. It is realistic.

The characterisation has a breadth that Bryan Cranston as Walter White doesn't have quite so much of, much as I love it. Tony Soprano transforms psychologically and physically from the first episode to the last in a way that is, and here I'll use a much over used word, epic. I'm tempted to say that it's the single greatest acting performance I've ever seen.

I'm with ya there! Anyone could have been Walter White but Bryan Cranston did do a very good job. Only one person could have been Tony Soprano, or any of the other characters. Who else could have played Paulie so well lol.

Yeah, I watch Billions and have since it started. I like it but I was a bit thrown off with the first episode this season.

View attachment 1096336

Then zoomed in to the Mongolian type Yurt that looked like plastic tarps?

View attachment 1096337

Which was occupied by, what looked to me, an East Indian, in American Southwest garb? This is Alaska right?

View attachment 1096338

Being in Alaska, I can let the New York license plates go because they likely had the bikes flown to the nearest town anyway lol.

View attachment 1096339

For a show thats so far had pretty high production values, they sure crapped that episode out.

The Wendy Rhoades character I've always liked too...

View attachment 1096341

Intelligent and very sharp but maybe they changed writers for her character this season. Her part is feeling forced and doesnt suit her. Throwing fake punches with a professional wrestler, really? Unbecoming of her character...

Maybe it's just me, I donno, but its losing me quickly.

I'm a big Ray Donovan fan too.

Quinn yeah...

View attachment 1096344

I was sorry to see him go but he sure went out with a purpose.
I agree on all accounts. I was happy to have a new season to start watching as Homeland ended, but the first episode wasn’t great at all. Hoping it picks up.

And I think there is supposed to be another Ray Donovan season....at least I hope. 🤞🏻

Started watching Man In The High Castle. Loving it. Curious as to whether it suffers when the source material runs it's course.

Who else could have played Paulie so well lol.

The casting couldn't have been better. Paulie's character is utterly believable, just like Joe Pantoliano as Ralph. I wish he'd been in more seasons, his performance equals that of Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. But really, there's no weak characters anywhere. Remarkable considering how many of them there are.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
And I think there is supposed to be another Ray Donovan season....at least I hope.

It sounds like there will be one more season. I didnt even know it was cancelled...

Ray Donovan Un-Cancelled? 'There Will Be More,' Liev Schreiber Says - https://tvline.com/2020/02/12/ray-donovan-renewed-season-8-liev-schreiber-showtime/

I started Better Call Saul again last night. I had forgotten the episode about Mike's son and the other cops. I'm really liking some of the music too. It was this scene I had in mind when I suggested a film noir style from the 70's. Very cool scene.

But really, there's no weak characters anywhere. Remarkable considering how many of them there are.

Even the ones you only meet in a single episode really make the most of it, yeah.

We are up to the last episode of The Plot Against America. Meh. Yeah, Charles Lindbergh was something of a Nazi sympathizer and something of an anti-Semite, but I am guessing it was a lot more nuanced than that. But I think hte extrapolations from there are mighty big. And it does not make an entire TV series.

I think I would watch Winona Ryder read the phone book though. I hate the character she plays in this, and on some level I do not think the character, much less her love interest--is there anyone in history similar to this guy--but I think she sells it.

Last edited:
I'm frequently asked you know why vegans are the enemy of everything that is good and decent and must be hunted down and destroyed so their genes don't pass on to future generations, it's because if you can't enjoy even a stinky runny rice cheese like this you may as well kill yourself now.

Anthony Bourdain's A Cook's Tour on Amazon Prime.

I'm not usually a TV series guy, more of a movie person. I mostly watch things free with Prime. I've been watching an excellent Russian TV series called "Gogol". It's based on the short stories of a 19th century Russian Author. It's Fantasy Horror. Great images, acting, directing, screenplay.

Top Bottom