What's new

What TV series you watching?

Just finished Mayans Mx, outsider, and archer. Rewatching black sails and starting Ozark over for the 3rd time with the gf since we finished mad men together

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just started binge watching "Doc Martin" on Roku.

Second go through for us, as we watched all that was on Netflix when they had it on there.

I am certain that some of the shows in the first season were either not on Netflix or entirely different in the editing.....

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for the report, Esox. I am interested in your reactions to this series. Interesting that you found the first two episodes problematic, and my recollection had been that I had concerns only through the very first episode, and, of course, as I mentioned most recently, the first part of the first episode of the second season. I think we are through the third episode of the second season and perhaps into the fourth episode and I remember during part of one episode starting to feel things slip away. "Scattered" is an interesting way to put it. We are certainly going to keep going.

The first two episodes left me feeling a bit confused. I couldnt see a direction the show was heading in. It seemed like it was heading everywhere, all at the same time. By episode three, as I suggested, there seems to be a more clear direction. It's a light and, so far at least, kindhearted, if candid, look into the lives of people many of us may never meet. Its a bit sitcom-ish for me. I appreciate a more serious side as a rule and it reminds me quite a bit of Six Feet Under. Thats a slightly darker more serious look at many of the same types of characters and personalities.

Seeing as I'm house bound for the next 2-3 months, I'm sure I'll work my way through it while at the same time looking for more shows to binge watch. I had the entire series of Six Feet Under and was going to start it again, then found I must have deleted it to free up space in my external drive lol.

I liked the
OUTER LIMITS , only series I liked can't really beat it all 1hr long movies

The Prisoner(British series) was pretty good for the political aspects

Tales of the unexpected ,WAS OK only half as good as ....the outer limits....

Just started binge watching "Doc Martin"
One of my red cross volunteer coworkers got me interested in this series so I borrowed (season 1 I think) the library dvd and it didn't click for me. It was when he arrived at this new office and was getting it squared away. I see it's on hoopla (library free streaming) so I may give it another try.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Actually two years ago almost to the day. Very sad. His last Bernie Gunther book was published posthumously. I remember it as being good.
Kerr had a true gift for the zeitgeist of the times and places about which he wrote. His work is transportational: read a few pages and you are right there in time, place and spirit. How did the Scotsman do it? He is missed.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Brits do good TV. Lots of great dramas, cop shows etc. A great deal of the TV shows are done without too much swearing and gore which is a nice change. I am currently watching The latest Doc Martin, re-runs of Great British Railway Journeys, anything with Sir Tony Robinson, Silent Witness the list goes on.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I appreciate the more dry British humour.

Another very good medical/doctor type show is The Knick.

That however, is anything but light and funny.
So disappointed that they only managed two short seasons of "The Knick." And yes, it is dark and dirty, as was surgery in the era portrayed. Fascinating viewing, based loosely on the career of pioneering surgeon William Halstead, and definitely worth a binge or two.

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I started this last night.

I made it through the 90 minute first episode, but didnt make it 10 minutes into the second and went back to Fargo. I'll try it again though...
Gotta' at least try "Hunters" myself.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
During these grim times, I think I'll go back a hundred or so years and revisit "Downton Abbey." It may not be realistic, but it sure is reassuring.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The Americans on Amazon Prime. It’s an older show. We’re almost done with season three. It’s so good! I’d never even heard of it before we started it.
Time to revisit that myself. Watched a few seasons, then left in the middle of the cold war. Good series, nonetheless. Need to find out how it all ends.

Ugh. I’m terrible at watching TV as I am typically standing or running around in my apartment. I have a stand up desk. I stand when I practice bass. When I was a little kid, people were ALWAYS trying to get me to “sit down.” I spent $3k on a beautiful leather recliner two years ago that looks brand new because I never sit in it. I’m usually doing something that is not conducive to watching TV. TV is more background noise to me. That said, I actually watch some shows. Right now it’s the new seasons of Chef Show, Clone Wars, Ugly Delicious, and want to start Picard and the new season of the Crown. When they return, it will be the Orville and AoS. It may take a while, but I’ll get them in somehow.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So disappointed that they only managed two short seasons of "The Knick." And yes, it is dark and dirty, as was surgery in the era portrayed. Fascinating viewing, based loosely on the career of pioneering surgeon William Halstead, and definitely worth a binge or two.

Its really is a very good show, but it can be a difficult watch. I think it and Deadwood both went the same way for much the same reasons.

Top Bottom