What's new

Which cheap chinese razor to get?

Yintal Bronze. Solid brass handle and I believe the top cap is brass as well, though it's coated so hard to tell. I use the top cap on all sorts of razors - R41, Fatip, Karve etc. It's solid and a bit narrower than the R41 2013 cap. I don't use the whole razor any more, but it's pretty efficient. The handle is very grippy. A little longer than usual, and some saw the bottom bit off to shorten it and make it lighter.

Yup you can get vintage adjustables cheap, but what guarantee do you have that any particular one is working as originally designed? You don't. As a new wet shaver go with something tried and true, then when you know what you are doing, experiment with all the bargains you can find. Then you have some basis on what sux and what's worth the bux.
I am new wet shaver. Bought a Rockwell 6c, as everybody here are raving about. Got razor with defective thread in handle. Rockwell sent me a replacement top cap and handle. Guess what - also DEFECTIVE ! So is the proven quality and QC !
I have bought also Yintal Bronze, Baili and some Yaqi heads. Great quality and great shaves.

Have you bougth yourself some Chinese razors to prove your claim ?

Bought a Rockwell 6c, as everybody here are raving about. Got razor with defective thread in handle. Rockwell sent me a replacement top cap and handle. Guess what - also DEFECTIVE !

The handles of the 6C are poorly made. Several instances of the handle thread going. They've never really dealt with this. I sent them an email when mine went and no response. I didn't buy mine new, but a good company will replace defective parts. A zamak handle is asking for trouble considering the inevitable friction of perpetual unscrewing.

The Yintal handle is solid brass - no issues there. So is my Yaqi Matte Black handle.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I am new wet shaver. Bought a Rockwell 6c, as everybody here are raving about. Got razor with defective thread in handle. Rockwell sent me a replacement top cap and handle. Guess what - also DEFECTIVE ! So is the proven quality and QC !

You bought the "designed in Canada", MADE IN CHINA, Rockwell. Pony up for one built in Canada and you'll likely get a good one, or get a Feather popular.

Your experience makes my point about razors from China. Hit and miss, luck of the draw, inconsistent... Some high dollar products are made in China and are perfectly fine because the company that the item is being manufactured for has very good and costly QA procedures in place and probably has a little more leverage over the manufacturer than the typical outsourcing arrangement.

Anything to recommend? I keep seeing people rave about the Baili BD176. Is this the best one?

Or something else from Mingshi or something?

I prefer a 3 piece because, believe it or not, I don't own a single 3 piece razor.

Yaqi razors are really good but for what it's worth I rather get a NSC, NLC, flat bottom or some vintage razor.

Solid brass is always preferable to zamak.

Anything to recommend? I keep seeing people rave about the Baili BD176. Is this the best one?

Or something else from Mingshi or something?

I prefer a 3 piece because, believe it or not, I don't own a single 3 piece razor.

I have one cheap Chinese razor, the Ming Shi 2000s, and I just love it :)
It's not a 3-piece but it's one hell of a razor.

If you want a really cheap razor (3 piece) I recommend the Turkish Yuma.
I bought mine for 3 Euros here in Sweden.
maxresdefault.jpg
The build quality is not top notch but it really does the job.

Some excellent suggestions for cheap Chinese razors above!!

At the risk of highjacking your thread, ‘Why not consider other inexpensive (not ‘cheap’) razors?’

For example, I get great shaves from my Lord L6, an inexpensive razor that is made in Egypt! :a29:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Why a "cheap Chinese razor" when you can easily buy something nice for your face. Life is short, shave like you're an Aristocrat!

Some excellent suggestions for cheap Chinese razors above!!

At the risk of highjacking your thread, ‘Why not consider other inexpensive (not ‘cheap’) razors?’

For example, I get great shaves from my Lord L6, an inexpensive razor that is made in Egypt! :a29:

Lord L6, nice choice
I have the successor of Lord L6, the Lord S625-1.
Also a nice and inexpensive razor .

Decided to buy a Jack the Barber Bevel clone to be my travel razor on a recent trip to Marshals. $7.99. It is a very aggressive razor which surprised me because I thought the Bevels were mild. Read up on these clones and learned some clones come with both a mild and aggressive baseplate. This one came with just one and it is very aggressive.

After some trial and error and a lot of irritation, I found the thing to be smooth as silk at neutral, handle down and parallel with my face. Pretend like you’re shaving with a cart.

My third shave this morning resulted in an all day BBS with zero irritation. It’s a 3 passer now but I think I can get it down to 2. Used a Lab Blue and Body Shop cream. Not a bad finish, chrome plated zamack head with a hollow brass handle. Not slippery at all in hand which is another surprise. This was supposed to be a travel razor but I’m having fun with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    989.3 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    927.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 28
Baili BD176
Baili 176 is super.
Baili BR179.
Baili 176 is indeed a great razor. Very mild yet efficient and impecable finish for such a cheap razor.
Baili 176/RR DE1 which in my view is hard to beat.
The baili indeed a great razor
Value for money as it’s best
Baili aka Razorock D1 has very nice finish indeed. Too mild and inefficient for my moderately thick facial hair, but I reckon it is must ideal for people with soft and thin stubble.
Could be potentially great value first razor for teenagers.

Last edited:
I have had a silver qshave futul dud (blade sometimes shifting) which was uh downright scary and a black one from a later batch which is superb. It varies

Top Bottom