What's new

Worst Wet Shaving Product You’ve Ever Bought?

Alum is a no go for me, burns like hell! I’m in the minority of wet-shavers who doesn’t use ANY post-shave products whatsoever. No alum, WH, aftershave, nada. Just warm water to rinse the soap off and cool water to do whatever it does that works perfectly for me. I got to this method through trial and error and has been doing me very well a solid 8 months.

Dude...if the alum burns like hell, it probably means you are using your DE razor like a disposable cartridge razor. Not good.

And I use the word "Dude" in the most scholarly and collegial manner possible.

Alum is a no go for me, burns like hell! I’m in the minority of wet-shavers who doesn’t use ANY post-shave products whatsoever. No alum, WH, aftershave, nada. Just warm water to rinse the soap off and cool water to do whatever it does that works perfectly for me. I got to this method through trial and error and has been doing me very well a solid 8 months.
Hmm. Well that’s good you found what works! I noticed with my sensitive skin that if I do a 2 pass shave WTG, (good technique) l’ll get a close comfortable shave and no burns at all with alum/AS

Every brush I've ever bought that was either a boar or a pure badger ended up being money poorly spent. There's just no sense to me in having to "break in" a brush, or deal with the prickle, when better grade badgers and synthetics provide a much better experience out of the box at very reasonable prices.

Every brush I've ever bought that was either a boar or a pure badger ended up being money poorly spent. There's just no sense to me in having to "break in" a brush, or deal with the prickle, when better grade badgers and synthetics provide a much better experience out of the box at very reasonable prices.
If you ever feel adventurous again, I’d recommend a Semogue SOC. Put the brush in a cup of cold water in the fridge for 2-3 days, dry it on a clean terry cloth or towel with some agitation, let it dry completely, and boom. Nice and plush. I really love that brush.
4DF12A35-5CDB-4948-8313-7170883389F1.jpeg

Dude...if the alum burns like hell, it probably means you are using your DE razor like a disposable cartridge razor. Not good.

And I use the word "Dude" in the most scholarly and collegial manner possible.

I was waiting for this response! Actually, the lone time I used an alum block, I had one of the best shaves I’d ever had, hardly a newbie shave. I had been wet-shaving 5 months or so and was looking to one-up my shaves so bought an Osma alum block bc everyone was saying how awesome they are. It lit my entire face up. I read in a few places that alum does this to some people, I am one of them. I don’t need anything post-shave.

Sorry to disappoint you Dude, but it was not my technique, I can assure you.

I was waiting for this response! Actually, the lone time I used an alum block, I had one of the best shaves I’d ever had, hardly a newbie shave. I had been wet-shaving 5 months or so and was looking to one-up my shaves so bought an Osma alum block bc everyone was saying how awesome they are. It lit my entire face up. I read in a few places that alum does this to some people, I am one of them. I don’t need anything post-shave.

Ouch. Shaving must hurt like hell.

Ouch. Shaving must hurt like hell.

I barely shaved for years because my skin is very very sensitive. I also have coarse wire for stubble. Shaving for me is a challenge yet goes just fine as long as I follow a very strict set of rules. If it was not so I’d be broke from soaps, aftershaves and razors! I live vicariously through the forum ☺️

Muhle Pure Badger. Don't even bother with this garbage brush. Paid 20 euros for it. Funnily enough during AliExpress' 11.11 sale I grabbed 2 top performing badger brushes from Yaqi for around the same price.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 24
Lightfoot's Pine Shaving Soap. I've seen it in high-end shops, too, and I feel badly for the gents who think, "I'll try this wet-shaving thing - this must be a good soap!" It's not. At all.

Oh, and a Parker badger brush. It was a floppy shedder. Not my cup of tea. At all.

:D

I barely shaved for years because my skin is very very sensitive. I also have coarse wire for stubble. Shaving for me is a challenge yet goes just fine as long as I follow a very strict set of rules. If it was not so I’d be broke from soaps, aftershaves and razors! I live vicariously through the forum ☺
Yeah that stuff is highly addictive. I’m a recovering aftershave/shave brush addict myself. Getting ready to relapse though. 😂

Lightfoot's Pine Shaving Soap. I've seen it in high-end shops, too, and I feel badly for the gents who think, "I'll try this wet-shaving thing - this must be a good soap!" It's not. At all.

Oh, and a Parker badger brush. It was a floppy shedder. Not my cup of tea. At all.

:D
My first brush was a Parker badger. I used it exclusively for my first 5 years wet shaving until recently. Mine hardly ever shredded but I had no idea at all what I was missing out with it’s lack of backbone. Needless to say I’m now a boar guy exclusively at the moment. But my wife enjoys my Parker brush now for shaving her legs along with her 1963 NOS lady Gillette. So I think I’ve got my money’s worth out of that brush at the very least. I will say I miss the badger heat retention, but with my Georgetown pottery g20 scuttle, and brushes nicely broken in, I’ve figured out it’s not that big of a difference for me the way I use my boar brush’s.

Perhaps you are the Antichrist, then? I kid. I jest.

During today's shave I decided to go for an irritation-free experience. A three pass shave. Turned out pretty good.

Thus far I've been quite fortunate with my purchases. I do have a few items that belong in the "I could use it, but I choose not to" category, but there is only one purchase that I flat out could not use and had to bin immediately: the "Boots" shaving stick. Boots is an old and well-respected chain-store chemist in the UK, and I figured their own brand shaving stick would be a reasonably safe bet, but for me - and apparently for quite a few others - it really wasn't. I felt a burning sensation seconds after the stuff got onto my skin and had to wash it off even before I could whip up a decent lather. The only other time I've had such a rapid and intense reaction was due to an acid spillage in a Chemistry lesson way back when I was in school. Fortunately I only bought a couple of sticks and they were cheap.

For me, Rockwell Razor blades have to take the cake. (These: Rockwell Double-Edge Razor Blades - https://getrockwell.com/collections/featured-shaving-essentials/products/rockwell-double-edge-razor-blades)

I picked up a Rockwell 6s during their Black Friday sale and it included a bunch of extras: Synth brush, 100 blades, stand, shaving cream, etc. I really only wanted the razor, but the stand it pretty nice too. This is the only synth brush I have, so I don't have much to judge it against, but I'll stick with Badger and Boar, both of which I like far more. The cream (soap?) was pretty bad too.

But, the blades are by far the worst thing I've ever used. They are just plain dull. They're not "mild" they are straight up dull. I've used a bunch of different blade brands - Persona blue, Feather, Shark, Derby, 7 O'Clock, etc. and nothing comes even close to how bad these blades (ok, "this blade" because I refuse to try a second one). It's the first time in my life that I've stopped mid-shave to swap blades.

It's really too bad because the razor is excellent and this was pitched as a "starter set". If I started wet shaving with one of these blades, I'd probably have gone back to my mach-3 and never picked up another razor.

Given that the razor came with a 5 pack and the "start kit" came with 100 more, I've got to figure out what to do with the other 104 blades I have...

New members should print these posts out and tape them to the wall. It would save them a lot of grief.

The thing that bothers me most? The kilo of Cella. I like Cella a lot, but what made me think I needed a kilo of it? I keep moving that lump around, trying to hide it from my wife. I know she's going to find it one day and I dread the consequences.

For me, Rockwell Razor blades have to take the cake. (These: Rockwell Double-Edge Razor Blades - https://getrockwell.com/collections/featured-shaving-essentials/products/rockwell-double-edge-razor-blades)

I picked up a Rockwell 6s during their Black Friday sale and it included a bunch of extras: Synth brush, 100 blades, stand, shaving cream, etc. I really only wanted the razor, but the stand it pretty nice too. This is the only synth brush I have, so I don't have much to judge it against, but I'll stick with Badger and Boar, both of which I like far more. The cream (soap?) was pretty bad too.

But, the blades are by far the worst thing I've ever used. They are just plain dull. They're not "mild" they are straight up dull. I've used a bunch of different blade brands - Persona blue, Feather, Shark, Derby, 7 O'Clock, etc. and nothing comes even close to how bad these blades (ok, "this blade" because I refuse to try a second one). It's the first time in my life that I've stopped mid-shave to swap blades.

It's really too bad because the razor is excellent and this was pitched as a "starter set". If I started wet shaving with one of these blades, I'd probably have gone back to my mach-3 and never picked up another razor.

Given that the razor came with a 5 pack and the "start kit" came with 100 more, I've got to figure out what to do with the other 104 blades I have...
PIF it to @BudgetShaverGuy. Might help his sensitive skin! Lol

Top Bottom