What's new

Anyone know anything about a thäter 4125 boar brush?

Alright gents. I broke all 4 of my brushes in officially. SOC Taj, Thäter 4125, Semogue 830, and Semogue 620. I used the thater and so far I’m impressed. Very soft, almost badger like. Whips up a good creamy lather with ease, and has pretty good backbone/heat retention as well. All of them lost a few hairs through this process, but not at an alarming rate IMO. I’m assuming they aren’t “broke in” 100% but so far so good. I will say the SOC has a bit softer of a feel on my finger tips. That’s next on my list to use. I also noticed I had 2 hairs glued backwards on the thäter. I know it’s frowned upon but I pulled those 2 hairs out of the knot. For the price i highly recommend the SOC. Especially when you consider I paid $45 for the SOC and $55 for the thäter on final mark down from a retail price of $90. The SOC has been flawless in that regard. Here’s some pictures of how they look now that I broke them in for 2 days using the cold water in the fridge trick with towel agitation. (Sorry I forgot to turn my flash on) The break in speed was a little faster for the thäter over the SOC. I can tell the SOC has just begun to show its potential. I did happen to dry each brush with a hair dryer on its “cool” setting to speed up the initial drying process. (I figured 2 days of soaking in cold water, and “breaking it in” were enough. I like the results. So I ditched the third day I was planning on soaking them. 4 brushes, after all, is a lot of work at one time!)

P.S: YMMV!

Last edited:
8BE1AF5B-C514-4D98-9862-3BCE6298642F.jpeg
7D2B607F-7AD0-4E67-9DBB-D423F2119E24.jpeg

I will also say considering that Stirling boar is just $10, that brush is the boar brush deal of the century. So in my honest opinion go with the Stirling. If you want to get fancy (for a boar brush) pony up and get a Semogue SOC in either Taj or Cherry Wood. I Can’t recommend those two brushes enough. I hope my results help somebody on the fence when it comes to which boar brush to purchase!

Last edited:
Congrats on those beauties! You cannot go wrong with any of them. Enjoy.

Next, put some mileage on those puppies.

Oh, nearly forgot. Never, ever, pull hairs from the knot.

Congrats on those beauties! You cannot go wrong with any of them. Enjoy.

Next, put some mileage on those puppies.

Oh, nearly forgot. Never, ever, pull hairs from the knot.
Does it really mess up the lathering that much? There was 2 in the thäter. 1 was right in the center and super scratchy. I had to snuff it’s torch.

Nice selection of pigs there, but and this is a huge but THERE ARE NO ZENITHS OR OMEGAS! There a few gaps on the shelf and a few more boars would fit them perfectly.
Lol I agree. I think I’m getting an Italian flag omega next for sure. Gonna have to decide on which Zenith to complete my boar collection. I might even get the B&B essential brush too!

Lol I agree. I think I’m getting an Italian flag omega next for sure. Gonna have to decide on which Zenith to complete my boar collection. I might even get the B&B essential brush too!

With thinking like that you'll go far in the world.

It depends on what you are after, whether you like a boar brush with very soft tips and not much backbone (Zenith bleached) or scrubby tips and a lot of backbone (Zenith unbleached).

YourShaving in Spain have an excellent selection of their bleached and unbleached boar brushes.

Top Bottom