What's new

About to give up DE shaving...

Since my teens I had shaved using electric razors, but I have sensitive skin and they made me break out on my chin. A couple years ago I took the plunge and started DE shaving, and after some experimentation settled on using a Gillette New Era and Feather blades. After shaving I still get whiteheads on my chin but not anywhere else. I can avoid most of them if I shave against the grain at that area only with one pass. Multiple passes or WTG shaving for some reason makes me break out horribly at that one spot, which of course is a very visible one.

Unfortunately some of the skin on my upper lip over time has become rough and quite raised (I think it has scarred from the DE shaving for some reason), so that area is now very uneven and impossible to get a close shave at. Furthermore I have very thick, bristly hair that is sparse. The Feather blades cut it fine but getting a close shave is very difficult. Lately I've become so frustrated with the process that I am considering returning to electric razors. Has anybody else had a similar experience? Are there any electric razors one would recommend for sensitive skin?

Yea, when I first started I wasn’t getting a good shave, so I stopped and went back to my electric razor. After 6 months of the electric razor, I gave DE another go and never looked back. For me it came down to using too much pressure even when I didn’t think I was using any, coming from an electric razor, I’m taught to use pressure and that was a tough thing for me to stop doing. Another is chasing BBS not everyone can achieve that daily without irritation building up. Proper lather and a good soap was also a huge help.

Sorry!

All I can say is that the keys are proper razor angle and NO pressure.

That said, whatever works is just fine.

I recommend trying the OneBlade razor out.

A lot of folks here make fun of it because it requires little skill to get a terrific shave, but I am a fan and view that as a plus (especially true of the Genesis).

Another issue many here have with the Genesis is the $400 retail price tag, though now that they offer the Core version of it for $20 which shaves very similar to the Genesis, the money issue is not much of a factor. The final problem many raise is it uses some pricey Feather FHS-10 SE blades that tend to only last 3, 3 pass shaves per blade before having to be discarded, but I order a year supply of them at a time from overseas for about half the domestic cost if direct through OneBlade and the blades are superb. My guess is the very mild OneBlade Core would be a good fit for your sensitive skin instead of having to go electric or cartridge.

Have you tried the Gillette Guard? It's not a DE, but rather a single-edge cartridge system marketed to the Indian market. Might be just the ticket for the beard you describe.

Ive had similar issues......multi blades make things worse!....what I do when I break out with small white heads like that is to go back to basics. 1. Soften your hair in the shower with hot water.....continue with hot lather. 2. use a mild shaving soap or medicated with Tea-tree oil (sterling has a wonderful soap with Tea-tree oil...btw, it smells like gasoline with mint but works amazing on the skin!) 3. keep things at a one pass with the grain 4. when done, medicate your face with lucky tiger (witch hazel is best to prevent breakouts and is in lucky tiger, stay away from balms...too greasy) 5. soak head of DE in Alcohol for a min or 2 with blade after shaving and let it air dry to disinfect.

When I get breakouts, these are the steps I take...works for me. I also do a monthly cleaning of all my DE's and do a dip in Barbacide (scrubbing bubbles works too) and do a good solid cleaning. I also put a new blade in every 3 days regardless of how sharp or not it is....new blades and clean ones give less irritation and infections. Been going strong for at least 4 years now and no issues. If things are becoming a major issue I would see a dermatologist just to be safe.

hope I am a help to ya!

Larry

Can recommend the oneblade core for an almost idiot proof shaving. use the blades 2 times max
but it needs a good prep to get the most out of those.
I love my stirling menthol pre shave soap with a scrub spongue followed by bowl lathering with stirling pine/electric sheep.
Try some feet (camphor, menthol, eucalyptus) balm the night before for a better glide. Other stuff works too but if it treats fungi it will kill bacteria.
as aftershave I prefer stirling aloe vera, witch Hazel with menthol and no alcohol.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I recommend trying the OneBlade razor out.

A lot of folks here make fun of it because it requires little skill to get a terrific shave, but I am a fan and view that as a plus (especially true of the Genesis).

Another issue many here have with the Genesis is the $400 retail price tag, though now that they offer the Core version of it for $20 which shaves very similar to the Genesis, the money issue is not much of a factor. The final problem many raise is it uses some pricey Feather FHS-10 SE blades that tend to only last 3, 3 pass shaves per blade before having to be discarded, but I order a year supply of them at a time from overseas for about half the domestic cost if direct through OneBlade and the blades are superb. My guess is the very mild OneBlade Core would be a good fit for your sensitive skin instead of having to go electric or cartridge.
I bought one on sale recently and have to agree with what you mentioned, I get less irritation and nicks with the Oneblade core and is on sale for $19.95 comes with 10 blades and a stand. I get 2 good shaves and the blade is done and give it a toss. I like my Gem blades and have lots so I modified some to see how they work and so far so good using a simple plastic wedge.
Have some great shaves!

I have got better shavers and less expensive blade shavers buttttt when I made a mess with one of those I am always happy to have a oneblade core at hand to shave until everything is properly healed! Also great for when you lack concentration!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have got better shavers and less expensive blade shavers buttttt when I made a mess with one of those I am always happy to have a oneblade core at hand to shave until everything is properly healed! Also great for when you lack concentration!
How true, been there done that with other razors also & there are those days I just want a carefree shaves like you mentioned.

Unfortunately some of the skin on my upper lip over time has become rough and quite raised (I think it has scarred from the DE shaving for some reason), so that area is now very uneven and impossible to get a close shave at.

If you have insurance, I would see a doctor before proceeding.

these breakouts and whiteheads sound like the problem, and they shouldn't be as a result of the razor.

Are you routinely using balms and creams? maybe try an aftershave splash with alcohol. That might get your skin back to normal.

just a thought.

Also for me...since my teens I had shaved using electric razors, in Aug 2019 moved directly to DE razors....never used a cart ever. Started with a Gillette Tech and never needed to use anything else. I did have a reaction of redness but it was due to a bad blade.

Switched from cart to se (oneblade) since I reacted on the lubra strips and lesser blades was also better. Switched to de to learn how to shave properly.
Lots of shaving stuff can give irritation though.
go perfum free and if possible vegan
Though I love menthol it can give skin problems too.
In general teatree, aloe vera, witch hazel are all used for skin problems but allergies for them are not uncommon.
Soaps balms can have preservatives which give problems.
You can try cleaning skin with a cotton and some coconut oil or olive oil both are antiseptic.
Even a razor blade and brush can cause allergies and infections.
Though usually we get ladies with dirty make up brushes and eye infections not man.

A dermatologist is never a bad idea.

Could be the soap/cream being used. Possible skin allergy to it.

This was my thought on reading the initial post too. It could also be an allergy to an aftershave. I would definitely see a doctor about this.

I used Norelco triple-head electric shavers for many years. They worked well, but a couple of years ago I started feeling that they were leaving my skin irritated. I switched to a Gillette Mach 3 cartridge razor and shaving cream instead and found that my face feels better than it did with the electric. I recently switched to a DE razor, soap and a brush and I'm really enjoying it.

When I was using electrics, I had also tried a Braun foil-type razor. Some people love them, but I found that it was tough to get a clean shave in the "nooks and crannies." I think the Norelco shavers are more maneuverable and adjust to the various contours of your face better.

I think the Norelco rotary and the Braun foil shavers are the two main types these days. There are other brands that have similar designs, but I think Norelco and Braun are the top two. (I had tried a couple of Remington models, one rotary and one foil a number of years ago and quickly returned them. They just weren't very good.)

I think my skin is probably average and somewhat oily. I wouldn't say it's really sensitive I don't think. I don't know if I can make a good recommendation for someone with sensitive skin. My experiences may not align with yours. Therefore I would repeat my recommendation to see your doctor or a dermatologist. They can help get to the bottom of what's causing you to break out and then you can work to solve the problem.

I started out on my dad's old Gillette twist to open DE. Moved on to cheap disposable razors, tried electric, went back to the Gillette Mach 3. Couple of years ago, I bought a Merkur 3 piece DE, 100 Feather blades, a cheap badger brush, and some Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood cream. Still can't believe all the wasted time/money on the cartridge and electric razors.

Next, I want to try straights.

Top Bottom