What's new

About to give up DE shaving...

Thanks for all the advice. I'm working off my phone at the moment so I'll keep this brief. To answer a few of your questions:

I've experimented with different soaps and aftershaves. I'd settled on Arco shave sticks and Aqua Velva Blue. If it gets really dry out I'll sometimes use Nivea balm instead of the Aqua Velva.

I have been to a few dermatologists and never was able to get a good diagnosis. I just tend to break out there if that one area gets agitated. Always have. What advantage would a single edge razor like the Oneblade have over a DE?

I've always had trouble shaving the nooks and crannies. My first two DE razors (Feather ASD2 and Gillette red tip) couldn't get there at all. Someone here recommended I try an open comb, so I got a New raised flat bottom. It works better, but is still not perfect.

As far as electric razors go, I never could get a good shave with the Braun foil type - only the three headed razors worked for me.

Anyway, I'll try and post a photo later of the raised areas that have resulted from DE shaving. Unfortunately the way my hair grows in has radically changed since I started DE shaving. It's erratic and a bit patchy now, with inconsistent length and lots of rogue individual hairs all over the place. For example, parts if my mustache grow in faster than others since beginning DE shaving, and there is one circular area about the size of a pencil eraser that doesn't grow anything at all. It's very frustrating since I cannot just grow it out anymore without it looking bad.

Oneblade core is just a very very mild shave in which you can be blunt and press on the razor without shouting salami. The tilting head also helps under your chin.
there is no lubra strip (no chemicals)
The blade is usable for maybe 2 times (for me) which limits bacterial issues.

does it give a bbs nooooop not for me I need a de for that. But it also gives less irritation.

since they are pretty cheap now in the USA (mine was costing close to a 100 original) you could take one for a spin not sure if they still have the same try and return if not like policy.

Oneblade core is just a very very mild shave in which you can be blunt and press on the razor without shouting salami. The tilting head also helps under your chin.
there is no lubra strip (no chemicals)
The blade is usable for maybe 2 times (for me) which limits bacterial issues.

does it give a bbs nooooop not for me I need a de for that. But it also gives less irritation.

since they are pretty cheap now in the USA (mine was costing close to a 100 original) you could take one for a spin not sure if they still have the same try and return if not like policy.

I've got no issues with pressure (I apply practically none with my DE razor). I also don't benefit from a mild shave (had issues getting a close shave with the ASD2 and Feather blades), so I doubt that the Oneblade is the solution.

Under the chin is always a problem for me. My hair there grows in random directions so I cannot map it.

Oneblade under the nose is already more difficult as a de due to the wider head relative to the blade imho. For me the big difference is in my neck easier follow through as a de. if I want it more close I rub in a couple of drops of floid shaving oil and make a last pass oil only.

But if I have time and I am relaxed and want a real close shave I take my qshave futul or Parker variant. But it took me long time to find the right blades for those!

and I have had a bunch of razors, blades, soaps etc which did not work for me. Loads of irritation cuts weepers and crying.

on holidays I do not have my sauna prep so always a bit more irritation

maybe nuts find a good barbershop and ask for a shave and pointers from a super experienced guy/girl who might have experienced your type of beard before.

ow and Philips makes an electric wet shaver which is shower proof. Did not work for me though but never tried with good soap.

It sounds like you need to try the razorock sloc. Trust me. Believe you stop just try this really fun, cheap, excellent razor. I have sensitive skin as well. This razor does it all seem and really is the only razor I would need if I had just one.

Gillette Guard. No lube strip, so no chemicals. Double open comb in a pivoting cartridge format. Cheap enough that you can replace cartridges regularly.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'll make a very "out of the box" suggestion: GEM Featherweight Deluxe Single Edge razor and some Ted Pella GEM Personna blades.

shave 20200106.jpg

My beard is Southern Italian and now all gray hair. Very wiry and chaotic. Grows in many different directions - I have to shave the same area in different directions to get all of the stubble. My wife likes me clean shaven so I don't "sandpaper" her face. ;)

The GEM Featherweight Deluxe is an extremely maneuverable and flexible shaver. If you are careful, you can use different shaving angles to vary the efficiency and also reach the difficult areas.

I would put a WTB (Want to Buy) thread up in the Buy-Sell-Trade room here at B&B for a GEM Featherweight Deluxe and some GEM blades. If nothing appears here, search eBay and you'll find a bunch.

Hope this helps.

Ever try cartridge razors? Might be worth a shot trying out to see if they do a better job than DE or electric. They don’t get much love here but i think they do a good job if you find the right one. Good luck!

The Defender is a great and low cost option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It sounds like you need to try the razorock sloc. Trust me. Believe you stop just try this really fun, cheap, excellent razor. I have sensitive skin as well. This razor does it all seem and really is the only razor I would need if I had just one.
That is a excellent razor and I have to agree with you analysis.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
these breakouts and whiteheads sound like the problem, and they shouldn't be as a result of the razor.
I have gotten whiteheads from dull blades or grossly wrong angle.

I would suggest OneBlade Core or Gillette Skinguard. Both will solve any angle problem you may have.

Hope you hang in there.

I got to the point where my more aggressive razors would cut up my lip due to my inexperience. So I used my go-to Merkur 34C HD for my lip (no problems) and the rest with another razor. Problem solved. The obstacle was the way. Now I can make it through a complete with any of my razors. I let the nicks heal a bit first before these successful attempts.

Since my teens I had shaved using electric razors, but I have sensitive skin and they made me break out on my chin. A couple years ago I took the plunge and started DE shaving, and after some experimentation settled on using a Gillette New Era and Feather blades. After shaving I still get whiteheads on my chin but not anywhere else. I can avoid most of them if I shave against the grain at that area only with one pass. Multiple passes or WTG shaving for some reason makes me break out horribly at that one spot, which of course is a very visible one.

Unfortunately some of the skin on my upper lip over time has become rough and quite raised (I think it has scarred from the DE shaving for some reason), so that area is now very uneven and impossible to get a close shave at. Furthermore I have very thick, bristly hair that is sparse. The Feather blades cut it fine but getting a close shave is very difficult. Lately I've become so frustrated with the process that I am considering returning to electric razors. Has anybody else had a similar experience? Are there any electric razors one would recommend for sensitive skin?

Yes, I've had a similar experience.

I have no strong preference for electric shavers though generally I find the inexpensive ones to work just fine without gimmicks. A Philips shaver works just fine, though if you skin is very sensitive you might want to use a Braun foil shaver (The M60 pocket shaver is an excellent value). Whatever shaver you use, keeping the heads lubed adds to the comfort significantly (less heat) and extends the life of the parts.

Also, it's important to have realistic expectations. Trying to get every hair on your face to be cut at or below skin level simply isn't realistic and it's a recipe for skin irritation. With an electric shaver you should just spend a few minutes shaving then accept the results you get, otherwise you will get razor burn.

You should probably be using something like salycilic acid daily to keep whiteheads and ingrown hairs away. Over time it will help give you smoother skin, too.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For an electronic that doesn’t shave super close and is cheap to try. The Philips OneBlade - different than the OneBlade core

This was my thought on reading the initial post too. It could also be an allergy to an aftershave. I would definitely see a doctor about this.

I used Norelco triple-head electric shavers for many years. They worked well, but a couple of years ago I started feeling that they were leaving my skin irritated. I switched to a Gillette Mach 3 cartridge razor and shaving cream instead and found that my face feels better than it did with the electric. I recently switched to a DE razor, soap and a brush and I'm really enjoying it.

When I was using electrics, I had also tried a Braun foil-type razor. Some people love them, but I found that it was tough to get a clean shave in the "nooks and crannies." I think the Norelco shavers are more maneuverable and adjust to the various contours of your face better.

I think the Norelco rotary and the Braun foil shavers are the two main types these days. There are other brands that have similar designs, but I think Norelco and Braun are the top two. (I had tried a couple of Remington models, one rotary and one foil a number of years ago and quickly returned them. They just weren't very good.)

I think my skin is probably average and somewhat oily. I wouldn't say it's really sensitive I don't think. I don't know if I can make a good recommendation for someone with sensitive skin. My experiences may not align with yours. Therefore I would repeat my recommendation to see your doctor or a dermatologist. They can help get to the bottom of what's causing you to break out and then you can work to solve the problem.
DE razors exfoliate the skin. I don't think electrics do that.

Yes, I've had a similar experience.
You should probably be using something like salycilic acid daily to keep whiteheads and ingrown hairs away. Over time it will help give you smoother skin, too.
I get white heads with any shaving technique, electric included. I definitely get less with a DE. I have been using salicylic acid as well, Oxy triple action pads. I wipe the affected areas to treat and prevent every night before bed. This is the only treatment I have found that works for me.

A goatee would fix so many issues...
Since my teens I had shaved using electric razors, but I have sensitive skin and they made me break out on my chin. A couple years ago I took the plunge and started DE shaving, and after some experimentation settled on using a Gillette New Era and Feather blades. After shaving I still get whiteheads on my chin but not anywhere else. I can avoid most of them if I shave against the grain at that area only with one pass. Multiple passes or WTG shaving for some reason makes me break out horribly at that one spot, which of course is a very visible one.

Unfortunately some of the skin on my upper lip over time has become rough and quite raised (I think it has scarred from the DE shaving for some reason), so that area is now very uneven and impossible to get a close shave at. Furthermore I have very thick, bristly hair that is sparse. The Feather blades cut it fine but getting a close shave is very difficult. Lately I've become so frustrated with the process that I am considering returning to electric razors. Has anybody else had a similar experience? Are there any electric razors one would recommend for sensitive skin?
You could try the Schick quattro , it has four blades with a wire guard to prevent bumps and Irritation.

Top Bottom