What's new

About to give up DE shaving...

I have struggled with my skin in the past, from acne to dry and flaky. DE shaving actually helped my skin tremendously but only after a while, I'm proud of how my skin looks today.

I'll echo what others said, following up with a dermatologist would probably be your best bet. Some things that I consider crucial:

- Using a simple moisturizer on a daily basis (day/night)
- Incorporating a light balm in your aftershave routine (e.g. Nivea sensitive)
- Staying hydrated from from the inside (2l water/day)
- Avoiding foods that you react to (both allergic and digestive)

Good luck and keep us posted!

I have perpetually oily skin and acne is an ever present problem for me. However, the better I have gotten with DE shaving the better my skin has gotten. After 1.5 years of DE shaving my skin is now better than it has been for almost 30 years - far better even than when I had a full beard for 10 years. For me the trick has been to play around with different techniques and products to find what works for me. I have 3 main soaps and 3 main blades I use and I use the same soap, blade etc for a week or two at a time without variation. I started out bowl lathering but have found that face lathering yields a much better result for me.

I found early on that I am allergic/highly sensitive to alum, witch hazel, and possibly menthol. Avoiding these things is a big factor for me. I also have found I do better with more natural soap and aftershave (I make my own splash as most natural splashes have witch hazel, and the rest have menthol). I have found things that don't just smell good but have ingredients that genuinely help out my skin.

All that being said, I think technique is the biggest factor. Very sharp blades help too, but checking in with my angle and technique are key. I have found I do best shaving first thing in the morning before I shower (contrary to popular advice, but the difference for me is huge). I also wash my face in the shower to get all if the shave soap/cream truly off. Shave soap can be pretty highly alkaline and makes me break out (in ways that would look very familiar to you) if I leave it there at all. Soaps with helpful essential oils still noticably benefit my skin. The good stuff must soak in pretty quickly I guess.

I also don't chase after BBS except on rare occasions, and even then, it's usually not perfect and that's ok. I typically start with a XTG pass and shave every day (If I take a day off I am much more prone to breakouts). Most mornings the single XTG pass is all I need. I will do a 2nd pass ATG sometimes but I don't push it. There is some stubble left over in one direction and that's ok. If I don't really take my time here, ATG makes me raw and causes a breakout. I actually get the worst shredding and acne when I go ATG with my AS-D2 - on my chin and upper lip. XTG is plenty smooth. I found that starting with a WTG pass was not necessary and caused more frequent irritation (albeit slight). I have also found that using steep or shallow angles with the razor makes a huge difference. A steeper angle (riding the cap) has been working out much better for my skin.

Don't give up! I used to use an electric and it was like running a lawn mower across my face compared to proper DE technique. Figuring out the DE razor is well worth it. It doesnt take much to get a DE to take your beard off - but it will likely take some time, effort, experimentation and practice to get that same DE to do the job far better with some truly amazing results.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Since my teens I had shaved using electric razors, but I have sensitive skin and they made me break out on my chin. A couple years ago I took the plunge and started DE shaving, and after some experimentation settled on using a Gillette New Era and Feather blades. After shaving I still get whiteheads on my chin but not anywhere else. I can avoid most of them if I shave against the grain at that area only with one pass. Multiple passes or WTG shaving for some reason makes me break out horribly at that one spot, which of course is a very visible one.

Unfortunately some of the skin on my upper lip over time has become rough and quite raised (I think it has scarred from the DE shaving for some reason), so that area is now very uneven and impossible to get a close shave at. Furthermore I have very thick, bristly hair that is sparse. The Feather blades cut it fine but getting a close shave is very difficult. Lately I've become so frustrated with the process that I am considering returning to electric razors. Has anybody else had a similar experience? Are there any electric razors one would recommend for sensitive skin?
I switched to straight razors as they are much kinder to the face.

An update. I found a Gillette New (1920 patent) at an antique store and decided to give it a try. It is far less smooth feeling than my raised flat bottom, but it does cut coarse hair better. Are there any razors that are even better at cutting than this one?

I still get lots of white flakes as my mustache hair grows back in. Don't know what to do about that. I also get lots of cuts going against the grain but cannot get leftover hairs without doing that.

I grew a Mustache and groom it with beard oil every other day, works great. I Believe I saw it on this forum to pick one razor one blade and soap and use the same set up for a couple of months straight, by then your Technique should be spot on. Good luck.

Don’t strive for bbs I normally will just go one pass wtg and get dfs good enough if you do that it will allow you skin to correctly heal if not let it grow out for a few weeks and trim in with clippers and put pre shave on the face for the itch and see how you go electric is rubbish I think

Many good recommendations here, I'll add my 2 cents & ideas:

Try a different blade- I thought the Feather blade has a reputation for being aggressive? My sensitive and dry skin has been enjoying the mild Astra SP coupled with a Merkur 34c, also a mild tool.

I did not start doing regular 2 and 3 passes until I joined the forums. I did read where some dermatologists do not recommend going for that BBS feel, especially for sensitive skin. Maybe a 1 pass with cleanup?

Don't know what you use as AS, but an unscented alcohol-free AS would probably be beneficial, like Nivea sensitive skin. Good luck!

Many good recommendations here, I'll add my 2 cents & ideas:

Try a different blade- I thought the Feather blade has a reputation for being aggressive? My sensitive and dry skin has been enjoying the mild Astra SP coupled with a Merkur 34c, also a mild tool.

I did not start doing regular 2 and 3 passes until I joined the forums. I did read where some dermatologists do not recommend going for that BBS feel, especially for sensitive skin. Maybe a 1 pass with cleanup?

Don't know what you use as AS, but an unscented alcohol-free AS would probably be beneficial, like Nivea sensitive skin. Good luck!
Feathers do have a rep for the but in the correct razor ie post war techs with neutral to negative blade exposure there is no aggression personally I don’t notice there even beening a blade in the razor it’s so smooth

An update. I found a Gillette New (1920 patent) at an antique store and decided to give it a try. It is far less smooth feeling than my raised flat bottom, but it does cut coarse hair better. Are there any razors that are even better at cutting than this one?

I still get lots of white flakes as my mustache hair grows back in. Don't know what to do about that. I also get lots of cuts going against the grain but cannot get leftover hairs without doing that.
You don't need to go for the leftovers. You can still have a comfortable DFS shave without irritations and razor burns. If you need to have a BBS, I'd suggest you use a fresh blade and work up a slick lather to provide the best protection on the skin.

these breakouts and whiteheads sound like the problem, and they shouldn't be as a result of the razor.

Are you routinely using balms and creams? maybe try an aftershave splash with alcohol. That might get your skin back to normal.

just a thought.
+1 I have had the same issue with gooey aftershave balms. i rarely use anything but splashes. I also have had problems when I used a splash 2X per day. I think it’s better to let my skin “dry out” between shaves.

I’m no expert shaver. Still learning myself but skin care I do know. I had terrible acne as a teen.

What are you doing as far as a skin cleaning/moisturizing routine goes? This can go a long way with sensitive/dry skin. This will help clean out/keep your pores clean and hydrate your skin. I use Jackblack face scrubber once a week to exfoliate. 2x Daily I use jackblack cleaner and moisturizer. (Morning and bedtime).

here’s a link to a sample kit you can give a try.

I went back to an electric myself. DE was just too rough for me... Blades in general including disposables are problem for me. I get the best shave from my Panasonic arc5. It's not perfect, but I figured out what works for me.
Using an electric seems to be a less popular option on the forum, which I guess is understandable.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Gillette New Short Comb or a Fatip Piccolo paired with a Nacet. You might want to try some Hyaluronic Acid, a few drops on your fingers applied to your moist face right after you shave before anything else.

I went back to an electric myself. DE was just too rough for me... Blades in general including disposables are problem for me. I get the best shave from my Panasonic arc5. It's not perfect, but I figured out what works for me.
Using an electric seems to be a less popular option on the forum, which I guess is understandable.
I am also back using an electric after six years of de, straights and carts, I like to keep changing methods of shaving, it works for me.

Head over to the "modern shaving systems" sub... You'll be surprised at how many of us there are on here.

I give another vote for the GEM Featherweight razor. It's a mild razor and shaves very close. You can get one cheap, about $15. for a good one.

Top Bottom