What's new

The Savings Fund Begins Today

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The 1911 is still the best pistol out there. It just keeps going in any condition due in part to its looseness. If it weren’t for the necessary safety, it would be my EDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sort of hits on a conundrum I've been having. In the last year, I have down-sized from a 4 bedroom 2-story 2800 sq ft house to a 2 br 1600 sq ft condo/flat. Went from 2 cars, 1 truck and an SUV, to just 1 crossover and 1 SUV. I will be adding a RV, but not for a bit.

I am also down to just 2 soaps, 1 cream a couple of favorite DE's and Shavette's 1 SE and 1 Straight. And went from 12 brushes at one time, to only 3 synthetics now. I am sitting on 150 aftershaves and need to figure out something with them. I have been actively downsizing and streamlining the material things before retirement to make my life more efficient.

And while I don't mind having a few sentimental items still around, I am trying to figure out how to justify, the interest in obtaining and owning a few of the older, classic firearms, which other then being sentimental or collectibles of history, probably won't get any modern, everyday usage which one could still define as efficient?

I won't be taking any of them with me into the great beyond? But I do love guns?

I am retired....I have multiple vehicles, a RV, a boat, and a pretty good collection of guns....Retirement allows me to play every day without pesky work getting in the way...lol

The topic is guns....I go to the range almost daily.

This sort of hits on a conundrum I've been having. In the last year, I have down-sized from a 4 bedroom 2-story 2800 sq ft house to a 2 br 1600 sq ft condo/flat. Went from 2 cars, 1 truck and an SUV, to just 1 crossover and 1 SUV. I will be adding a RV, but not for a bit.

I am also down to just 2 soaps, 1 cream a couple of favorite DE's and Shavette's 1 SE and 1 Straight. And went from 12 brushes at one time, to only 3 synthetics now. I am sitting on 150 aftershaves and need to figure out something with them. I have been actively downsizing and streamlining the material things before retirement to make my life more efficient.

And while I don't mind having a few sentimental items still around, I am trying to figure out how to justify, the interest in obtaining and owning a few of the older, classic firearms, which other then being sentimental or collectibles of history, probably won't get any modern, everyday usage which one could still define as efficient?

I won't be taking any of them with me into the great beyond? But I do love guns?

I don’t have too many guns, but that’s relative. I am a super gun owner...LOL. The 1911 is just plain clean. It fits my fist so naturally, balances like a dream, heavy enough to better manage recoil, packs a wallop, feels like a natural extension of my arm, and has a trigger that breaks like a glass rod. What’s not to like? OK, the safety and reassembly.

OkieStubble

I am retired....I have multiple vehicles, a RV, a boat, and a pretty good collection of guns....Retirement allows me to play every day without pesky work getting in the way...lol

The topic is guns....I go to the range almost daily.

By the time I retire, I will be pushing almost 60. I plan on picking up an RV and visiting more of this country I have lived in all my life. But being realistic, how long would that be good for? 10 years? And then selling the RV at 70? I don't think I can see myself traveling for 20 years, but I could see myself, having fun reloading and going to the range everyday like you. :)

By the time I retire, I will be pushing almost 60. I plan on picking up an RV and visiting more of this country I have lived in all my life. But being realistic, how long would that be good for? 10 years? And then selling the RV at 70? I don't think I can see myself traveling for 20 years, but I could see myself, having fun reloading and going to the range everyday like you. :)

I was contemplating a trailer, until my cousin talked me out of it. He said they’re great for camping, but not touring. You can’t park them near the attraction you might want to see. The extra gas and site fees are more than motels. Then there’s the insurance and such.

OkieStubble

I was contemplating a trailer, until my cousin talked me out of it. He said their great for camping, but not touring. You can’t park them near the attraction you might want to see. The extra gas and site fees are more than motels. Then there’s the insurance and such.

I heard the same. I won't get the big Class A, probably a smaller Class B or C. Depending on the style, You can park them pretty much anywhere and they will blend in with the rest of the parking lot. And if you are pulling a car and carrying a couple of mountain bikes, you'd be surprised how close an onry old coot can get to an event. :)

I have a 25 ft trailer. We spent 4 weeks away from home in it this year. We have no trouble touring with it. Often times, we stay no more than one night at a place. We see the sights for a day and move along another couple or three hundred miles to the next spot that looks interesting.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have several guns that I have not shot in years. One might be tempted to downsize and divest myself of those guns infrequently used. My primary focus over the last several years has been CCW and defensive shooting with both pistols and long guns. Having become a Range Safety Officer over the last few months at my local outdoor range has given me much more opportunity to shoot and I look forward to revisiting all of my neglected firearms. I will be retireing in a couple of years and I look forward to being able to spend several days a week shooting. I hope to also do a bit of hunting, something I have not done in years, save for extermination of pests around the property. All the guns that I have bought, I bought for a reason. To experience a classic caliber that could be seen as "inefficient" compared to today's modern choices. I look forward to reloading and plinking with , or even hunting with, some of the classics of yesteryear.

I have several guns that I have not shot in years. One might be tempted to downsize and divest myself of those guns infrequently used. My primary focus over the last several years has been CCW and defensive shooting with both pistols and long guns. Having become a Range Safety Officer over the last few months at my local outdoor range has given me much more opportunity to shoot and I look forward to revisiting all of my neglected firearms. I will be retireing in a couple of years and I look forward to being able to spend several days a week shooting. I hope to also do a bit of hunting, something I have not done in years, save for extermination of pests around the property. All the guns that I have bought, I bought for a reason. To experience a classic caliber that could be seen as "inefficient" compared to today's modern choices. I look forward to reloading and plinking with , or even hunting with, some of the classics of yesteryear.
Nice plan.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I hope to also do a bit of hunting, something I have not done in years, save for extermination of pests around the property. All the guns that I have bought, I bought for a reason. To experience a classic caliber that could be seen as "inefficient" compared to today's modern choices. I look forward to reloading and plinking with , or even hunting with, some of the classics of yesteryear.

I've been thinking about doing one of these for quite awhile, but don't know how much a heavy caliber Sharps repro. would beat me up these days.

I've been thinking about doing one of these for quite awhile, but don't know how much a heavy caliber Sharps repro. would beat me up these days.

They do. I've owned several Sharps rifles in the past and loaded my own BP ctgs. with paper patched bullets. It's a lot of work and takes unbelievable dedication. I sold mine however and am dealing with a partially detached retina as is. I also have a "tennis" elbow that flares up after even a cylinder of magnums and once incapacitated me for a year. I'm beat up.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
As retirement approaches, I have also begun down-sizing. GunBroker has helped me move from two safes down to one. It's been tough. I've hated parting with all of those that I've sold but several of them had not been fired but once or twice in 5-10 yrs. I just don't want the 'heirs' to have to deal with all of that after I croak.

OkieStubble

I don’t have too many guns, but that’s relative. I am a super gun owner...LOL. The 1911 is just plain clean. It fits my fist so naturally, balances like a dream, heavy enough to better manage recoil, packs a wallop, feels like a natural extension of my arm, and has a trigger that breaks like a glass rod. What’s not to like? OK, the safety and reassembly.

Well, I know if I pick up a nice 1911 and a Browning High Power, I would put them to use and carry them. I might even be convinced to carry a classic snub nose revolver with a speed loader once retired. Will take some doing though, cuz I have been carrying 10 rounds or more for several decades. I think CZ's are great looking semi's, I just probably would never carry a double action semi with a hammer.

As far as revolvers go right now, I have a Ruger SP101 .357, A Ruger Super Blackhawk .44. I might pick up a couple more revolvers after retirement, but I need to be very picky in the decision, because I won't ever be a collector. So they need to be something I will frequently shoot, not something to just collect dust or put in glass.

Once I get into reloading more, I would love to have a M1 Carbine. Probably pick up an SKS or AK also. Maybe even a Garand, who knows. I don't have any interest owning a modern rifle chambered for 30.06, but I would a Garand.

Well, I know if I pick up a nice 1911 and a Browning High Power, I would put them to use and carry them. I might even be convinced to carry a classic snub nose revolver with a speed loader once retired. Will take some doing though, cuz I have been carrying 10 rounds or more for several decades. I think CZ's are great looking semi's, I just probably would never carry a double action semi with a hammer.

As far as revolvers go right now, I have a Ruger SP101 .357, A Ruger Super Blackhawk .44. I might pick up a couple more revolvers after retirement, but I need to be very picky in the decision, because I won't ever be a collector. So they need to be something I will frequently shoot, not something to just collect dust or put in glass.

Once I get into reloading more, I would love to have a M1 Carbine. Probably pick up an SKS or AK also. Maybe even a Garand, who knows. I don't have any interest owning a modern rifle chambered for 30.06, but I would a Garand.

Wow, we think very much alike. I have a Barretta 92SBC and never gets used due to it being DA/SA.

I have S&W revolvers in .357mag and ..44mag, the latter with an 8 3/8“ Barrel. Both are too big to carry. The Dirty Harry gun was bought to go wild boar hunting, but it never happened.

I would like an AR-10 in .308 or an FN-SCAR20S.

OkieStubble

I would sure as hell would fly in a Fokker, s D7 preferably, if I could! The 1911 is still a better gun right down to its sweet trigger. If it weren’t for the safety, it would be my EDC.

Did you take those wheels off if your vehicles? Talk about antiquated technology!

Lol'd. Nice comeback Scott. :)

Top Bottom