What's new

An explosion!

Which makes me wonder who buys all the cheap zamak and stamped sheet metal razors, cheap mass made soaps and creams, the less popular razor blades, the really cheap natural hair brushes... There are tons out there on offer and more variations keep being made.

Remember that there are billions of people across the globe who shave. Most of them are in 2nd and 3rd world companies and cannot afford anything other than inexpensive razors, blades, soaps, etc. Most of us frequenting this forum would be considered wealthy from the world's standpoint, even if we consider ourselves less so. We have computers and internet access, something that is not so common in some places.

Remember that there are billions of people across the globe who shave. Most of them are in 2nd and 3rd world companies and cannot afford anything other than inexpensive razors, blades, soaps, etc. Most of us frequenting this forum would be considered wealthy from the world's standpoint, even if we consider ourselves less so. We have computers and internet access, something that is not so common in some places.

How does someone without internet access buy Edwin Jagger or Merkur $25 razors online? Who buys the Monsavon or Marvy soaps online? Big Ben blades?

I don't try to keep up anymore. I'm happy with what I have and the shaves I get. Most of the products I like to use these days are among the first few I bought, yet I had to go through all the ADs to figure that out...

That being said, I agree that there is a ton of variety out there to suit all needs and budgets.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This. Even with unlimited funds and shaving at least 5 to 6 times a week I wouldn't be able to use everything I'd like to. I've resolved that there there are interesting soaps, razors, aftershaves, etc. that I just will never be able to try.

Yup! Even with unlimited funds, you'd need unlimited storage space too.

A softish soap gives me 150 to 200 shaves, a puck of Mitchell's gives me around 500. If ten new products come out a year, that's between 5 and 15 years worth of soap for me... every year!!! And it doesn't matter what favourites you find, because next year there'll be another 5 to 15 years worth of soap to deal with. EdTs last me even longer. I reckon I might have a street party if I ever finish a bottle. Then you need to work out which soaps work best with which post shave...

Many of us recognise that different razors favour different blades. There isn't enough days in the year to test all the DE razors with all the DE blades. For every new razor or new itteration of a razor, that's a few months of shaves needed to find what blades work best in this one. That's before you take the side quest into straights, with different hones, and different methods.

When all that's done, are you going to reap the rewards of spending some time with the greatest of what you've found, or try to keep up with all the other new stuff that keeps coming? Do you miss out on the new stuff, or miss out on spending time with the favourites?

I've found my good stuff (two soaps, a few select razors, and some blades which work great in them). I'm having a go at knocking up my own homebrew aftershave, and will soon be learning how to hone straights. I do have one new razor inbound, but that's because it's a DE that I think will help me develop my straight technique (a Razorine), or let me shave that way with the benefit of a closed comb on bad health days.

If people want to keep chasing, hunting and exploring, good luck to them. I'll have my feet up and my wallet closed though :D

I’m quite content with what I have, but every once in a while looking at all the new products I wonder, am I missing out? A quick look at my shelf of gear and I’m brought back to reality. My god! So much stuff, just for a shave. :)

How does someone without internet access buy Edwin Jagger or Merkur $25 razors online? Who buys the Monsavon or Marvy soaps online? Big Ben blades?

I guess I was not thinking so much about online purchases. I can purchase Marvy soaps from my local Sally's Beauty Supply. I also was not thinking about Edwin Jagger and Merkur razors. I do not consider them to be cheap. I was thinking more about Weishi and Baili Chinese razors and Parker razors made in India.

Once I found my perfect set up, I stopped collecting (like you). Lately I've been picking up new soaps, as find some interesting new artisans putting out great products. I live near West Coast Shaving, so shop by smell mostly.

On the whole it really is fantastic to have so much choice, and when you consider the quality and length of time soaps and blades can last for, it's mostly pretty good value too.Awesome to see traditional shaving going from strength to strength aswell. Of course, it all depends on how much you can afford.

college-money-struggles-small.jpg

So I'm a minimalist (ish) by default - I do find a way, though:straight:

Wes.

How do I keep up with the new stuff? I'm not sure I do. Words like "Timeless" or "Karve" or "Rockwell" tend to cause my eyes to glaze over.

No offense. I'm sure those are great. It's just...

I can't explain it. I am far more excited about a Vikings Blade Emperor, frosted chrome, from Amazon and on the way as I type, than some hyped up Timeless...which is probably awesome, but outside of my price rationality.

How do I keep up with the new stuff? I'm not sure I do. Words like "Timeless" or "Karve" or "Rockwell" tend to cause my eyes to glaze over.

I can't explain it. I am far more excited about a Vikings Blade Emperor, frosted chrome, from Amazon and on the way as I type, than some hyped up Timeless...which is probably awesome, but outside of my price rationality.

Dang it now I want one lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Timeless titanium is awesome. Will last hundreds of years, which is just cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Timeless titanium is awesome. Will last hundreds of years, which is just cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, titanium is cool. But it is also a light metal. I guess I prefer "heftier" metals.

Okay, full disclosure. I can't afford a titanium razor. That's the long and short if it...

Don't forget that a majority of the hundreds of new razor offerings are simply rebranded razors made in china by weishi, Edwin jager, maggards, merkur, and parker.

As far as the fancy ones go, like karve, .68, black land, they all work on an implied status with each product. SO its very common to have chatter about them, while the old dependable products go unnoticed outside the collectors forums.

When I stopped minding shaving sites, the biggest thing just coming out was the option 5. It actually looked good despite a 60 dollar tag. Ive just come back to shaving boards, and its completely gone from sale and discussion. Even though I do recall it considered a great thing

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I still have a handful of Bay Rum aftershaves I would like to try, but I think I've got a good rotation now. Only two Shave soaps currently, but they last for quite a while so I can't see getting many of them. I've got a very healthy aftershave rotation now, so trying new will slow down considerably.

Like my flare tip with a Voskhod. I use 3 brands of soap and refuse to sample anything else. I like my shaving and don't want to spoil my enjoyment of it by coveting other things. I would like to try a shavette, but I am content right now.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I don't really keep up with it. I see things posted here or there and perhaps take a look. Beyond that I don't really buy many modern razors, they aren't really my thing. I can't afford most of them and I'd rather spend that money on acquiring new to me vintage razors. For the price of one modern I can buy and use 20 vintage razors in many cases...although I'm on a spending hiatus as I've gone a bit crazy the last few months. It's time to slow down and enjoy what I have for a while.

Top Bottom