What's new

An explosion!

Hello gentlemen,

I’ve been a member for a few years now. Started with the basics, quickly hoarded far too much, perfected my technique and for the last 3-4 years have been content using up what I have. I currently log in just to read a couple of threads and visit the shaving cream forum.
Today I saw a post about a charcoal goods razor, so I visited the de razors forum. Karve? .68? CG? Black Land? Blackbird? Timeless?
Stop over at the brush forum and now there are many grades of synthetic brushes!
Soap? More than 50 that I haven’t even heard of.

Looks like a great time to be a traditional shaver, but how do you all keep up with the new stuff?

it's impossible, at least for me, unless I had endless funds. Plus there's a ton of vintage stuff to get into as well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Looks like a great time to be a traditional shaver, but how do you all keep up with the new stuff?

I don't :D

I've been a DE shaver since the early 1990s, partially for cost, partially for the great shaves, and partially for the simplicity. If I tried to explore the full width and depth of traditional shaving, I would lose two of those three benefits.

I'm in second straight year of buying sabbattical, so I'm no minimalist. Except I sort of am. I use one razor, a Fatboy, the same type razor I started shaving with 50+ years ago, one brand of blades, the shaving brush I bought at Floris in London 48 years ago, now "butterscotched" to a nice deep brown, a bright ceramic shaving bowl from Easy.

You can see where I went off the tracks when I restarted DE shaving 7 years ago: soaps and creams. I certainly didn't try to "keep up;" I went down a few brand and/or scent rabbit holes, but I'm done now. Came January, I'll restock the favorites that I have run out of, and then I'll just cruise along, trying to ignore the new bright shiny things that come along.

I enjoy trying some of the new & some of the old. I have not accumulated a horde of product, because I try to use a modicum of restraint. But I'm not always successful!:lol:

I have about 5 soaps, and like to always have 5 in rotation. When I run out of one, I’ll buy another. Usually a new brand or scent. But I struggle daily not to go crazy and buy everything! Maybe once a year I make a big purchase..

Most products I read about here i figure I'll never buy as I like to be somewhat minimalist. I just enjoy reading about other shavers experiences and maybe info on getting a new product occasionally. I'm set for gear for a long time!

I keep up by reading through all the reviews and discussing it with other forum members. I got time to do so but if I was too busy, that would be difficult

As for my own shaves, I have my rotation that I go through. Sometimes I would be tempted by the new release or a new brand that pops up but those are few. My solid setup will last me years.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yes an explosion for sure. RAD has exploded in my world. My aim was to achieve 52 razors. One for each week of the year. I now have 250 of the blighters and I just cannot seem to stop. Mmmmm, maybe an intervention is required.

Which makes me wonder who buys all the cheap zamak and stamped sheet metal razors, cheap mass made soaps and creams, the less popular razor blades, the really cheap natural hair brushes... There are tons out there on offer and more variations keep being made.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Spend too much money. But i like trying new things. In the grand scheme of things most things im buying these days are not big ticket items.

I dont any more I keep it simple now days, I have my favourites that I restock I dont do blind buys anymore unless I like the scent or product. Straight razors seem to breed same with brushes but that's about all, but it dont stop me from reading about the products that's coming out..

Yes an explosion for sure. RAD has exploded in my world. My aim was to achieve 52 razors. One for each week of the year. I now have 250 of the blighters and I just cannot seem to stop. Mmmmm, maybe an intervention is required.

For real? Or just joking? Haha

Hello gentlemen,

I’ve been a member for a few years now. Started with the basics, quickly hoarded far too much, perfected my technique and for the last 3-4 years have been content using up what I have. I currently log in just to read a couple of threads and visit the shaving cream forum.
Today I saw a post about a charcoal goods razor, so I visited the de razors forum. Karve? .68? CG? Black Land? Blackbird? Timeless?
Stop over at the brush forum and now there are many grades of synthetic brushes!
Soap? More than 50 that I haven’t even heard of.

It's kind of crazy, no? I've been at it for nearly ten years now, and for the last 3 or 4, have spent virtually nothing on shaving supplies, instead focusing on trying to use up the stuff I hoarded the first few years. I love shaving soaps, but there are so many new artisan soap makers out there, I don't even know where to begin anymore.

I think the solution for me, is that I'm just out of the game. I'm not interested in acquiring the latest and greatest, and I don't need to keep searching for the holy grail combo. I've got a razor* and blade that work for me, a nice little rotation of brushes, and a variety of soaps and aftershaves I know I like (which I can just replace as needed). No more trying to get my hands on every soap or aftershave I hear about. I'm sure I'll try new stuff from time to time, but I'm done obsessing. I've got stuff I like, so I'll just use it and be happy.

*I will probably buy a backup of my trusty Gillette NEW razor at some point.

Personally i keep the will to buy at bay by only purchasing a new soap when one runs out. At any given time i’ll only have max 3 soaps. 1 in use and 1 or 2 on deck. This way i can enjoy what i bought and really think about what i want to purchase next. Aftershaves are my weakness but now that i’m up to around 20, i’m finding that it’s getting to a sweet spot where i feel like any more would just be overkill. My plan now is to just replace them as they’re used up. Razor’s i’ve never had much interest and blades i have a sampler for variety.

it's impossible, at least for me, unless I had endless funds. Plus there's a ton of vintage stuff to get into as well.

This. Even with unlimited funds and shaving at least 5 to 6 times a week I wouldn't be able to use everything I'd like to. I've resolved that there there are interesting soaps, razors, aftershaves, etc. that I just will never be able to try.

Top Bottom