What's new

Are electrics really that bad?

I never found an electric that gave me a comfortable shave and I've tried all types, Always have irritation issues. Just a close comfortable shave with a DE razor.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Back in college i used an electric and i remember i used electric shave pre shave. That seemed to make it hurt less. Is that stuff still around and does it do anything beneficial

Back in college i used an electric and i remember i used electric shave pre shave. That seemed to make it hurt less. Is that stuff still around and does it do anything beneficial

Yes. Williams Lectric Shave is still around. It's my favorite preshave- it's effective and inexpensive, though in my experience a well-oiled shaver doesn't require it for comfort

They used to have a sensitive skin version that was blue and had silicone. I preferred that but I guess it didn't sell well.

The real question is, how many of them will actually try it out for a couple weeks to see if it really works or not before dismissing it.

I own a Braun series 9, arguably one of the best foil shavers available anywhere today, yet I'd still be very happy to receive a low end Braun pocket, series 3, or even a cheap Norelco rotary as a holiday gift. I like gadgets, experimenting, and my BOSC/AD extends far beyond the bladed devices most commonly discussed around here.
Yes you make a valid point. The first thing that anyone should do with a new electric shaver is to read the instruction manual. That will not only include tips on getting a good shave, cleaning instructions and also explain that it takes awhile for your face and beard to become accustomed to the new shaver. I also, agree that most men and some woman are gadget freaks. Maybe it’s an undiscovered gene on the ‘Y’ chromosome. 😀

The real question is, how many of them will actually try it out for a couple weeks to see if it really works or not before dismissing it.

I own a Braun series 9, arguably one of the best foil shavers available anywhere today, yet I'd still be very happy to receive a low end Braun pocket, series 3, or even a cheap Norelco rotary as a holiday gift. I like gadgets, experimenting, and my BOSC/AD extends far beyond the bladed devices most commonly discussed around here.
I love toys but now at older age, my enthusiasm seems to plummet quickly......not sure why.... And then on the lookout for the next

In the past I have had some irritation using an electric shaver when I shaved in a warm humid environment. My face would be damp which made the shaver head drag and cause irritation. In those days I used a preshave powder stick which would absorb the moister and make the head glide across my face. I tried liquid preshave but didn’t like the feeling of the stuff on my face.

Of course, back then shavers were not waterproof and had to be used dry only because they were connected to the house AC electricity. Today, most new shavers are rechargeable NiCad battery powered and waterproof which allows wet shaving using shaving cream. Personally, I shave dry every day because I have central air conditioning which keeps the humidity very low. Also, I don’t see any reason to shave wet using shaving cream other than not cutting yourself.

I never found an electric that gave me a comfortable shave and I've tried all types, Always have irritation issues. Just a close comfortable shave with a DE razor.
Besides the gadget enjoyment, electric shaving is faster, more convenient and more importantly safer than using a blade. I never seem to survive blade shaving without leaving my bathroom with my face plastered with bits of toilet paper stuck to various places absorbing my blood. 😩 However, if you enjoy shaving wet with a blade without injury than that’s the best choice for you.

I’ve had Philips dual head and triple heads just as my dad switched over to braun and aborded dry shaving all together after I cut myself on a broken braun blade for the second time.
they always resulted in irritated skin.

went the Gilette route which when the blades number increased resulted in irritation. Better soap helped prepping helped and in the end switching to a se (oneblade) and de (to relearn shaving) did the rest.

now I cut my face up when I try something new or are not focused enough lol

I’ve had Philips dual head and triple heads just as my dad switched over to braun and aborded dry shaving all together after I cut myself on a broken braun blade for the second time.
they always resulted in irritated skin.

went the Gilette route which when the blades number increased resulted in irritation. Better soap helped prepping helped and in the end switching to a se (oneblade) and de (to relearn shaving) did the rest.

now I cut my face up when I try something new or are not focused enough lol
I’ve never cut myself with an electric shaver unless the screen has worn a hole. This only occurred when I had a Remington screen shaver. The Remington shaver was the first one I owned that could be rinsed under water. Unfortunately, the cutters would easily corrode which resulted in requiring more pressure to shave which wore holes in the screen. I was replacing the cutters every four weeks. Anything is possible with shaving because there’s still blades involved. For me using electric shavers solves the nick and cut issue when I just rolled out of bed at six AM and my frontal lobes of my brain are not yet awake.

I have the typical heavy Mediterranean stubble so they simply don't shave me.
They are completely useless for me.
Obviously, not everyone has had success with electric shavers and there’s nothing wrong with that. Everyone’s skin and beard are different. Happy holidays!

I’ve never cut myself with an electric shaver unless the screen has worn a hole. This only occurred when I had a Remington screen shaver. The Remington shaver was the first one I owned that could be rinsed under water. Unfortunately, the cutters would easily corrode which resulted in requiring more pressure to shave which wore holes in the screen. I was replacing the cutters every four weeks. Anything is possible with shaving because there’s still blades involved. For me using electric shavers solves the nick and cut issue when I just rolled out of bed at six AM and my frontal lobes of my brain are not yet awake.
Lol that is why I am still happy with a oneblade core which is kind of single edge autopilot I idiot ultramild wet shaving for those absent moments.
biggest issue is expensive and rare blades. So only for those absent minded moments
the brauns used a screen which as you mentioned wore down to a double edged bread knife. Never had that with the philips round heads but they shaved even worse

Lol that is why I am still happy with a oneblade core which is kind of single edge autopilot I idiot ultramild wet shaving for those absent moments.
biggest issue is expensive and rare blades. So only for those absent minded moments
the brauns used a screen which as you mentioned wore down to a double edged bread knife. Never had that with the philips round heads but they shaved even worse
I never had the screen of a Braun/Eltron/Ronson or a Panasonic ever wear a hole in the screen. It was a Remington shaver that caused the cut. If you had one do that it would be surprising.

I’ve never used or even seen a Phillips Oneblade shaver. From your response I assume this device prevents nicks and cuts while wet shaving with a blade. Is that correct?

I never had the screen of a Braun/Eltron/Ronson or a Panasonic ever wear a hole in the screen. It was a Remington shaver that caused the cut. If you had one do that it would be surprising.

I’ve never used or even seen a Phillips Oneblade shaver. From your response I assume this device prevents nicks and cuts while wet shaving with a blade. Is that correct?

I won't post links because you can find videos all over YouTube but to sum it up: it's a waterproof, double 'edged' trimmer that allows you to 'shave' down to 0.2-0.3mm of stubble. I have a lengthy review going about it I a different thread.

Most guys around here bash it because it cannot possibly provide a BBS and those same people fail to remember the fact that not everyone is blessed with their divine ingrown-proof skin/hair and that this device can be a saving grace for ethnic men, curly hair men, or anyone who wants a presentable shave, that doesn't care about BBS, that has fought with irritation.

I won't post links because you can find videos all over YouTube but to sum it up: it's a waterproof, double 'edged' trimmer that allows you to 'shave' down to 0.2-0.3mm of stubble. I have a lengthy review going about it I a different thread.

Most guys around here bash it because it cannot possibly provide a BBS and those same people fail to remember the fact that not everyone is blessed with their divine ingrown-proof skin/hair and that this device can be a saving grace for ethnic men, curly hair men, or anyone who wants a presentable shave, that doesn't care about BBS, that has fought with irritation.
Thanks for the info. I doubt that any method other than a straight razor can really deliver a BBS shave. There is a reason that DE and SE razors were called “Safery Razors”. The safety part restricts how close and restricts the angle of the blade. I haven’t had a real BBS shave in many years and very few barbers still offer them. However, I recall that I didn’t have to shave again for at least two days. Additionally, the preparation was part of the reason for the closeness of the shave. I recall having my face wrapped in hot towels and warm shaving cream while the barber used a leather strap to straighten the edge of the razor.

Success with electric shavers are also dependent on having less sensitive skin and less curly hair. Obviously, your DNA determines those factors that some menthods of shaving work better than others. In my next life I plan on choosing wealthy parents. 😝

Success with electric shavers are also dependent on having less sensitive skin and less curly hair. Obviously, your DNA determines those factors that some menthods of shaving work better than others. In my next life I plan on choosing wealthy parents. 😝

Some people actually opt for electric shavers because they have sensitive skin. Electric shaving involves less disruption of the skin's barrier function and less potential exposure to skin irritants.

Foil shavers typically aren't as sensitive-skin friendly as rotary shavers. Also, people with curly hair can use an electric shaver- black men used slotted-head shavers for years after foils came out in the US in the 60's. Since they don't cut as close, they are less likely to cause ingrown hairs.

Some people actually opt for electric shavers because they have sensitive skin. Electric shaving involves less disruption of the skin's barrier function and less potential exposure to skin irritants.

Foil shavers typically aren't as sensitive-skin friendly as rotary shavers. Also, people with curly hair can use an electric shaver- black men used slotted-head shavers for years after foils came out in the US in the 60's. Since they don't cut as close, they are less likely to cause ingrown hairs.
I agree 100%. When I first began shaving, around 1962 or 1963, my dad bought me a Ronson (Braun) screen shaver which gave me a terrible skin irritation. He had been using a two head Norelco so we switched. The Norelco shaved great without any irritation until I tried the Ronson screen type and switched to a Ronson (Braun) shaver in about 1972 and never went back to the rotary type.

I agree 100%. When I first began shaving, around 1962 or 1963, my dad bought me a Ronson (Braun) screen shaver which gave me a terrible skin irritation. He had been using a two head Norelco so we switched. The Norelco shaved great without any irritation until I tried the Ronson screen type and switched to a Ronson (Braun) shaver in about 1972 and never went back to the rotary type.

I started using electrics as a teenager because I had acne problems and blade shaving tended to produce ingrown hair, and at any rate my skin tended to be dry because of all the acne medication I had to use. At the time slotted-head shavers were being becoming harder to find (what my dermatologist recommended), so I opted for a double head Philips shaver that was battery operated.

I actually shaved on the school bus most often, from what I remember.

Still have mine, in a case! And it looks a lot better than this (Dietzgen Museum) :adoration:

proxy.php

Top Bottom