What's new

Your 3 Favorite Soaps - 2019

1. Proraso Red
2. Proraso White
3. Arko

I am getting Proraso Green for Christmas so I am sure that will rank in somewhere with the others.

So many wonderful soaps have been released in 2019 that there is no way I could narrow it down to three favorites. Here are my seven top soap bases in alphabetical order. Every one is outstanding in performance. The differences between them are so minor that it is difficult stating which performs best. However, there are some price differences between them that might influence your buying decision.

1. Ariana and Evans (yogurt base)
2. Barrister and Mann Excelsior
3. Declaration Grooming Milksteak
4. Grooming Department Nai
5. Murphy and McNeil Kodiak
6. Wholly Kaw Siero
7. Zingari Man Sego

In the spirit of transparency, please note that I have not yet used GD Nai or M&M Kodiak, but will in the next week. I included them in this list based on reviews from others I respect. I love earlier bases from GD and M&M and am certain I will love the new bases as well.
Interesting that just because some have given respected reviews of these that they already have made your favorites list untried!! I've never had a favorite of anything that I've never actually owned or at least tried. Didn't know it was even a possibility. Color me confused on this!!

eta... Forgot to add my 3 favorites

1. Stirling Sandpiper
2. Stirling MITA
3. Stirling Bay Rum

I have not yet used GD Nai or M&M Kodiak, but will in the next week
I have 35-40 soaps and most are really good soaps, CRSW, GD, WK,B&M, LongRifle, Mikes, Lisa's,The Club,
etc. I get a great shave from them all including several RazoRock soaps. I have used the new M&M Nantahala kodiak
soap and wow, what a great base. The only knock I have on the Kodiak base is it is actually too moisturizing if that's possible, just a great soap. Zingari Man is #2 barely as it's also a great base with #3 The Club.
With that said please let us know what you think of Nantahala.

Interesting that just because some have given respected reviews of these that they already have made your favorites list untried!! I've never had a favorite of anything that I've never actually owned or at least tried. Didn't know it was even a possibility. Color me confused on this!!

eta... Forgot to add my 3 favorites

1. Stirling Sandpiper
2. Stirling MITA
3. Stirling Bay Rum

I do have in my possession all of the soaps I listed. However, any soaps that have been received after Thanksgiving were squirreled away by my wife as Christmas gifts. Thus, there are a couple I won't evaluate until later this week. I have used several soap bases from Grooming Department and Murphy and McNeil and if I had not listed Nai and Kodiak, I could have listed GD Lusso and M&M Aon as favorites instead. However, I have confidence in the soapmakers that Nai will be at least as good as Lusso and Kodiak will be at least as good as Aon. If not, I will be sorely disappointed.

1. Grooming dept kulfi
2. B&M lavanille
3. ADP yellow tub ( more of a croap I guess)

It's hard for me to choose between the first two as far as scent goes. They are both fantastic, but I like the performance of gd slightly more than b&m.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Are we doing "favorite soaps you used in 2019" or is this the 2019 edition of "Your favorite soaps?"

I do have in my possession all of the soaps I listed. However, any soaps that have been received after Thanksgiving were squirreled away by my wife as Christmas gifts. Thus, there are a couple I won't evaluate until later this week. I have used several soap bases from Grooming Department and Murphy and McNeil and if I had not listed Nai and Kodiak, I could have listed GD Lusso and M&M Aon as favorites instead. However, I have confidence in the soapmakers that Nai will be at least as good as Lusso and Kodiak will be at least as good as Aon. If not, I will be sorely disappointed.

My wife let me use M&M Nantahala (Kodiak base) for my Christmas Eve shave. It definitely has a place on my favorites list. It is one of the slickest soaps I have ever used; the razor glides effortlessly across the skin. However, it is only a minor upgrade over Aon, which at one point was my standard against which all other soaps are compared. The post shave feel is superb, but the honor for best post shave I have experienced still goes to Zingari Man Sego. That one left my skin feeling amazing for the next 36 hours. I love the scent of Nantahala, but wish the scent was a little stronger. M&M says the scent is medium, but I would rate it just slightly less.

If I answered this question every year, I would have different answers. Past selections would have included variouss Mike's Natural, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Palmolive Shave Sticks. These are great shave soaps, but took second places to this year's winners.

I greatly admire the discipline of our 3017'ers, but will never join them simply because there are too many wonderful choices out there for us. However I did decide to bring a little discipline to my shaving life and actually finish some products. As a result I have actually finished Mystic's Irish Traveller and Stirling's Ozark Mountain (this old wrapped puck, not the current 5.8 oz. green containers Additionally I have put a serious dent in D.R. Harris's Arlington as well as a puck of Windsor.

2019 Top 3 (in no particular order)

D.R. Harris Arlington
Mystic Waters Irish Traveller
Stirling Ozark Mountain

If I answered this question every year, I would have different answers. Past selections would have included variouss Mike's Natural, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Palmolive Shave Sticks. These are great shave soaps, but took second places to this year's winners.

For me, I would have generated one list six months ago and a different list today. Some of the finest artisan soapmakers have been busy refining their formulas in the persuit of perfection. Thus, most of the top soaps in my den were not even available six months ago.

Top Bottom