What's new

My Guess... 3017

I'm down to about 3/8" of soap in my twist-up container of home-made sandalwood shaving soap. Should get 20 or 30 more shave out of it and the left over lather in a bowl containing a different soap (I save what's left after shaving). Looking forward to a different soap, probably try to use up that Col. Conk I started a few years back. Got an amazing number of shaves with that, too.

In case anyone was curious apparently growing a beard will make your Tabac last even longer!
Some friends talked me into growing my beard again, so through winter, until our annual camping trip I'm going to have chin hair. Actually it's been growing since Nov 1st. Cleaning up the neck and cheeks has me still shaving but less often and less area. The shaves are still very good but the lack of progress on my Tabac is a bit annoying. It seems strange to me that I want to shave my beard for the sake of making more headway on my soap.

In case anyone was curious apparently growing a beard will make your Tabac last even longer!
Some friends talked me into growing my beard again, so through winter, until our annual camping trip I'm going to have chin hair. Actually it's been growing since Nov 1st. Cleaning up the neck and cheeks has me still shaving but less often and less area. The shaves are still very good but the lack of progress on my Tabac is a bit annoying. It seems strange to me that I want to shave my beard for the sake of making more headway on my soap.

This doesn't seem at all strange to me. Next time, suggest two shaves a day while camping.

Current picture of Haslinger sandalwood. I think I am beginning to see some green in the center so I’m guessing maybe a week to go on this??

568F54AC-3F25-41E3-AC4F-3AD6F76A6997.jpeg

Well hello everyone. I hadn't realized how long it's been since I checked in. Been lurking but not posting.

In my last post, (https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-guess-3017.128392/post-9888327) I was starting a sample of Bufflehead soap. That's gone. Vitos Red, gone too. Great soaps.

I'm now on a puck of AoS-t Unscented. Getting pretty good shaves but not totally dialed in, yet. Sometimes it's too thick and gunks up my razor, other times I get it too airy and get some knicks. It's really good when I hit the sweet spot, though so I'll keep at it.

Like a good soap fiend I was browsing forums instead of working and found some sad news. Looks like Volabra may actually be shut down. post #17 on the following page explains what I found:

I've expected this since their soap is getting harder to find and today I saw C&S on sale which has never happened. I'm guessing they're clearing stock. I bought two pucks of C&S O&C to add to my small Valobra collection. Not sure if I'm helping or hurting by posting this news but thought it should be said. I may also be out of touch and everyone already knew... I get that a lot.

Last edited:
Like a good soap fiend I was browsing forums instead of working and found some sad news. Looks like Volabra may actually be shut down. post #17 on the following page explains what I found:

I've expected this since their soap is getting harder to find and today I saw C&S on sale which has never happened. I'm guessing they're clearing stock. I bought two pucks of C&S O&C to add to my small Valobra collection. Not sure if I'm helping or hurting by posting this news but thought it should be said. I may also be out of touch and everyone already knew... I get that a lot.

I picked up a puck of 88 and a puck of O&C to add to my modest Valobra collection as well. These triple milled tallow soaps are quickly becoming a part of history. Sad to see.

I picked up a puck of 88 and a puck of O&C to add to my modest Valobra collection as well. These triple milled tallow soaps are quickly becoming a part of history. Sad to see.

I bought some 88 and O&C as well after seeing that. I have a considerable amount of AoS sandalwood and volabra sticks but wanted to add a few more 88 and O&C. Definitely sad to see!!

I bought some 88 and O&C as well after seeing that. I have a considerable amount of AoS sandalwood and volabra sticks but wanted to add a few more 88 and O&C. Definitely sad to see!!

I was looking over my stash of Valobra soap. At some point I'm going to start 3017ing them, but I think I will put a twist on the effort. I love Valobra triple milled tallow products, and now that they are a part of shavings past I plan on enjoying each and every shave from my inventory. I'm going to 3017 them, not to get through the stock, but because Triple milled soaps perform better when they stay hydrated from daily use. I will use each puck beginning to end per the 3017 doctrine, but I'm going to see how long I can make each puck last. Sort of like the lads in the Excaliber club do with blades. I won't push the envelope to the extent that I suffer bad lathers, but I will try various brushes and load times and find the optimal combination to extend the life of these wonderful pucks. I've no doubt I can get 6 months from a puck of triple - milled, but maybe I can push that out to 9 months. Would a year be out of the realm of possibility?

@snowman... in 2016 i joined the single brand challenge thinking I would be able to use up some RR products... But I was also in the sabbatical and I had just started a puck of DRH in Dec 2015. I had a second puck and started thinking that I needed to stop the 20 minute loading sessions and just enough to develop a good lather that lasted three passes (I only do two and sometimes one with a bit of touch up).

Much to my surprise this puck lasted 428 shaves. If I recall I missed one day due to a power outage and not having running water. I say go for it! I have noticed that brush choice can have a large impact on how much soap is consumed. I am currently using a Simpson #55 but some medium to small size synthetics can be efficient (thrifty?) on the soap usage too.

I am currently working on a brick of Vitos extra coco... it is going to take me awhile to 3017.

Ruckin.

@snowman... in 2016 i joined the single brand challenge thinking I would be able to use up some RR products... But I was also in the sabbatical and I had just started a puck of DRH in Dec 2015. I had a second puck and started thinking that I needed to stop the 20 minute loading sessions and just enough to develop a good lather that lasted three passes (I only do two and sometimes one with a bit of touch up).

Much to my surprise this puck lasted 428 shaves. If I recall I missed one day due to a power outage and not having running water. I say go for it! I have noticed that brush choice can have a large impact on how much soap is consumed. I am currently using a Simpson #55 but some medium to small size synthetics can be efficient (thrifty?) on the soap usage too.

I am currently working on a brick of Vitos extra coco... it is going to take me awhile to 3017.

Ruckin.

Yes, I recall your work on that puck. An epic battle! Well, it will be a labor of love. I have a couple softer artisan soaps to work through first, then I’m going to get started on a puck of valobra. It will give me an excuse to pick up a Shavemac synthetic. :)

I am pleased to report that I have broken through the bottom of my cake of Ogallala Bay Rum. The Chubby 2 synthetic is very effective. it's only a matter of time now.

One more shave with the Strop Shoppe Russian Tea and if there's anything left it'll be the glue to hold the next puck, the most excellent AoS tallow sandalwood, to the MWF dish. I had some issues for the first few weeks with the strop shoppe being thin and airy. Totally user error! On the third week I switched over to a Stirling kong synth. That loaded a ton of soap and also worked a ton of water into the soap. I've spent all year with creams. I'd just forgotten how thirsty some of these butter rich soaps can be. I've had epic lathers for the last few weeks regardless of brush. Ahh the joy of 3017'ing - you get the most out of the product. If I'd stopped after the first week or 2 I'd have had no idea just how awesome this soap is.

proxy.php

After today's lathering, the Ogallala has a huge hole in it, and if it's still here by the end of next week, I will be shocked. I will say, as the soap has soaked up a bunch of water, the lathers the last couple of days have been outstanding. It's still only a 2 star soap for me, but sometimes you can really get it dialed in.

After a 2 month run Haslinger sandalwood is done, finished, kaput. I am surprised how long it lasted, I gave a puck of aloe pretty much the same treatment and it only lasted 3 weeks. Makes me think there are variations in the concentration of soap from batch to batch or maybe it is something to do with the reformulation.

I thought it was not quite as good as the old tallow version but still top tier soap that doesn't disappoint. A very very slight difference which could just be in my head :blink:

Now the task of choosing the next soap. I am thinking maybe a vintage(ish) Williams might be a nice way to round out the year or maybe MW lavender or a tube of Macca root, or....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
After a 2 month run Haslinger sandalwood is done, finished, kaput. I am surprised how long it lasted, I gave a puck of aloe pretty much the same treatment and it only lasted 3 weeks. Makes me think there are variations in the concentration of soap from batch to batch or maybe it is something to do with the reformulation.

I thought it was not quite as good as the old tallow version but still top tier soap that doesn't disappoint. A very very slight difference which could just be in my head :blink:

Now the task of choosing the next soap. I am thinking maybe a vintage(ish) Williams might be a nice way to round out the year or maybe MW lavender or a tube of Macca root, or....
One can never go wrong with lavender...

After today's lathering, the Ogallala has a huge hole in it, and if it's still here by the end of next week, I will be shocked. I will say, as the soap has soaked up a bunch of water, the lathers the last couple of days have been outstanding. It's still only a 2 star soap for me, but sometimes you can really get it dialed in.
It’ll be done by week’s end. The Chubby 2 synth is treating the soap like a narc at a biker rally. Next up will be the last soft soap in the den, my last Saint Charles Shave soap, ‘Refined.’

Top Bottom