What's new

My Guess... 3017

Lol, soap life used to be infinite for me as I shaved in the shower with water only. Forty years worth of it no less. I get better shaves with soap and a DE though.

On the subject of 3017, I think I have maybe ten shaves left on my stick of home-made sandalwood soap. Oddly I'm smelling more scent now that earlier in the stick, but whatever. Great soap, one of my early ones based on lard. I prefer the tallow ones though, and will probably make another batch of sandalwood over the holidays to use up some tallow I've collected before it goes bad. That should give me a double lifetime supply!

Gentlemen,

when I learned of the existence of shaving software beyond canned goo, I experienced a lot of hit and miss lathers when keeping a rotation of soaps, croaps and cremes.

At some point I noticed enhanced performance when using a product for more than a few days. Be it adequate wetting of the soap or just dialing the lather in properly, it makes my shaves much more enjoyable and reliable.

Since past summer I use my products up one at a time. I emptied a tub of Goodfellas Smile's Black & White a couple days ago and now use a tin of Abbate y la mantia - Matteo 9,11. I used it a few times before. The scent is nice for this time of the year, the performance is alright, it's just a bit drying for my skin.

Before that I used up another tub of Goodfellas Smile in a month and a bowl of Arlington soap in three months.

I got a bit of a soap stash and want to reduce it to a few keepers, that I truly enjoy long-term. On the way, I will let you know which products I like or dislike.

PhilC: I still hope that maybe some Valobra products survive the aquisition :001_unsur

Just about done with the sandalwood home made shaving soap, may get me through the rest of the year, may not. I will re-fill that twist-up tube with something else and try to use that up, I have way too much home-made soap hanging around!

CRSW Winter has morphed into a soft cream. I’ve left the lid off, but daily loading onto a damp brush has turned it to mush. I’ve reshaped it a few times....the end is in sight. It’s been a great soap...um....croap....uhhhh.....cream.

In the beginning there was Barbasol & I used it. There was Williams, and a couple of poofy British soaps & none of the Artisans had been born yet. Got a cheapo Gillette TTO and a couple packs of Wilkinsons & called it a shave. Grandpa had passed & I got his straight razor, strop & Ever Ready brush; I still have that brush & razor today. Along the way, I accumulated a couple more old razors, when relatives young & old, fell prey to electrics & cartridges. A couple of them are real beauties. One followed my Dad's bro, a WWII Combat Medic, from Normandy to Berlin.

Fast forward about 40 years - Wilkinsons are now thinner than the old ones, Barbasol still ruled the shave, and Badger & Blade was in its' infancy. If you knew where to look, you could find OTW soaps (Other Than Williams), and the shaving mug was an old coffee cup filched from the back recesses of Mom's china cabinet. Multiple pass shaving was largely unknown as a standard practice.

Again, forward just a few more years & there was a proliferation of rose, cherry, bergamot, sandalwood and foo-foo girly soaps available. I had to accumulate a couple of them in order to be hip & up with the times. The old Eversharp Injector Dad got from his Bro, was largely shunned as "too aggressive" and more dangerous than grandpa's old straight, which, by this time needed honing; Grandpa taught me how to hone a razor when I was 12 years old & I now have his stones today. By now, Barbasol and Williams were for rubes, farmers and old men. Lubricity and non-irritating formulas began to flourish. Williams still seemed to outperform them all for slickness and lack of irritation, but it wasn't "fashionable".

Today I have a meager collection of soaps & creams. All work well. A few are exceptional, but none match my top performer, a blend of 2 creams that, on their own are middlin' to good, but combined, outperform all the rest, including my alltime favorite (Williams) and ToBS St. James.

Seems to me that men's shaving soaps are the equivalent of women's shoes: nobody has but one and it's requisite to buy at least one new one when it's on sale. I'm afraid to take inventory, but I'll wager that, although I don't have the huge variety of soaps the big spenders have, I still have more soaps than shoes ...

Ran to the end on the twist-up tube, so I dug the last bits out and stuck them onto another lump of the same soap with a different fragrance. A few more shaves and I'll call it done -- on the order of 280 or so on 145 g of soap. Not bad, and all good shaves too.

Haven't decided what to do next, may just work on the soap I stuck the last bits to since it's equally old and starting to go rancid, or dive into that Col. Conk Lime I started three years ago. I'd like to use the container I put it in, so one or the other most likely. I'll mush something else up and re-fill the twist-up tube, I like using shave sticks.

As feared, but consistent with past experience, I am racing through my cake of SCS Refined (and I’m not trying to kill it!). Performance is excellent. Nevertheless, it is not likely to see the new year. Being who I am, I have a brand new tin of Pre de Provence 63 ready to go. IIRC, it took @johnniegold about 4 months to kill his PdP way back in 2010. I’ll be curious to see how it stands up in the face of the synthetic brushes that did not exist 10 years ago.

Merry Christmas, gents. I hope your list of soaps to finish got a little longer this morning.
Yep. Got a tub of Soap Commander Endurance and LASS Blackfern. Now and have 53 soaps and creams ....the good news is I have about two weeks or less left in my current soap.
I have 19 tubes of Palmolive Lather and a dozen Arko sticks, so that kind of adds to the longevity of my stock. 4017 anyone, lol?

Just mixed up a fresh 4 0z batch of the Plus. I'll have enough to last me until mid-summer. It's my daily shave favorite & all the other various tins & samples get only occasional use & are never going away ...
Cremogena Jars.jpg

After doing a bit of reorganizing in my shave drawer, I have the following I will PIF to anyone in here: Old Spice cream (90%), TOBS Avocado sample, and four Soap Commander samples. I will keep the PIF open until Friday night at 6 pm EST.

Attachments

• IMG_20191225_160628.jpg
    IMG_20191225_160628.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 17
Starting a modified 3017. One day I use Haslinger Coconut (tallow formula) and the next day is GD After the Fire. It is interesting to see the differences between the two soaps.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Starting a modified 3017. One day I use Haslinger Coconut (tallow formula) and the next day is GD After the Fire. It is interesting to see the differences between the two soaps.
I could do something like this! I just can't imagine using any soap exclusively for as long as it would take to use it up.

Unless it's Arko, baby!

Top Bottom