What's new

Oil?

I've heard several people talk about oiling their blades. I've never done that, but I do put talc in my coffins. I'm just back into SR shaving, and my Ern sat in the box for 40+ years with just a very light coat of talc, and showed no tarnish or rust.

I'm trying to decide if I need to start oiling my blades, or just stick with talc.

Just keep with what’s working for you. Whatever helps keep the blade and scales protected against prolonged moisture.

Just keep with what’s working for you. Whatever helps keep the blade and scales protected against prolonged moisture.

I've seen several videos and discussions about oil, types, mixtures, how to put it on and take it off, etc. I just want to make sure there are no important reasons for oiling a razor.

Thanks.

Are
I've seen several videos and discussions about oil, types, mixtures, how to put it on and take it off, etc. I just want to make sure there are no important reasons for oiling a razor.

Thanks.

Are you talking about oiling the actual razor blade or the razor itself? I am a little confused

I live in an area that is very humid for around 8 months of the year so I usually give my blades a wipe with a very light coat of camellia oil.

I live in an area that is very humid for around 8 months of the year so I usually give my blades a wipe with a very light coat of camellia oil.

I'm in the Dallas area, and humidity isn't too bad. If I lived back on the coast, I would probably have to reconsider.

It depends a lot on the conditions and time for which your razors are stored. I have 25 straights, so even if I used them every shave, blades would not get used for nearly a month. However, I also shave with DE razors as well, so a single straight might not get used for a couple of months. Thus, getting oxidation/rust is a possibility.

After use, I rinse and towel dry my blades and then wipe on a light coating of a mixture of half mineral oil and half 91% isopropyl alcohol. The reason I use the mixture rather then just oil is that oil can trap moisture if the blade is not completely dry. The isopropyl alcohol mixes readily with any residual moisture and then evaporates taking the moisture with it. This leaves behind a thin layer of oil to protect the blade.

If 91% isopropyl alcohol is not available where you live, you can try 70%, but it does not evaporate as quickly.

If you are using the same blade every day and store it somewhere other than in the bathroom, such precautions might not be necessary.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The silicone razor socks are great, but I have a lot of razors. I used to never oil, but had problems with rust so now I do. I use motor oil. It is formulated to leave a film on steel. I wipe the blade before stropping, of course, and you should, too, if you oil. If you don't oil and you never get rust, then cool. If you don't oil and you do get rust, then better you than me. Been there, done that. Or didn't do that.

For long term storage, petroleum jelly is great. You may want to wrap a layer of plastic over the razor before you fold it between the scales, if they are such that the petroleum jelly might harm or discolor them.

The silicone razor socks are great, but I have a lot of razors. I used to never oil, but had problems with rust so now I do. I use motor oil. It is formulated to leave a film on steel. I wipe the blade before stropping, of course, and you should, too, if you oil. If you don't oil and you never get rust, then cool. If you don't oil and you do get rust, then better you than me. Been there, done that. Or didn't do that.

For long term storage, petroleum jelly is great. You may want to wrap a layer of plastic over the razor before you fold it between the scales, if they are such that the petroleum jelly might harm or discolor them.

That's been a worry. I don't know a lot about straight razors, and wonder what might effect the scales.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
That's been a worry. I don't know a lot about straight razors, and wonder what might effect the scales.
If you are really paranoid, just take a piece of plastic from a zip lock bag, bread bag, whatever, fold it across the edge to cover the blade, then close the razor up between the scales. No biggie. Me, I simply don't worry about it very much. But if you only have a dozen or fewer razors, silicone razor socks are a good way to get by without oil.

I use Frog lube and the beauty of it its food grade I find it works wonders here in the UK

20180620_170011.jpg
20180620_170050.jpg

FROGLUBE is a cutting edge biodegradable lubricant made from “USDA Certified Food-Grade”. All ingredients are produced in the USA using a proprietary formula. It is a non-toxic substance that dissolves carbon on contact. It has a heavy specific gravity, which enables it to ‘season’ the metal by absorption deep into the pores. Using FROGLUBE results in a durable dry slick wax-like surface that reduces friction, eliminates fouling, and destroys rust. FROGLUBE is safe for plastic, urethane, nylon, and wood. FROGLUBE will give your weapon many extended years of service.

FROGLUBE will not harm the environment. It can be disposed of without the need for prohibitive HAZMAT controls. Employees will be protected from the affects of working in and around toxic chemicals.

FROGLUBE IS A BIODEGRADABLE LUBRICANT, CLEANER AND PROTECTANT.

CONTAINS NO PETROLEUM OR WATER.
NON-HAZARDOUS IN EVERY WAY.
PLEASANT MINT SMELL.

Never oiled my blades for daily shaving and never had an issue.

My long term blades are coated with Vaseline and it does the trick.

Chris

Top Bottom