What's new

Shoe Shining Disorder. What Have I Done!

Speaking of cleaning up shoes, I picked up some coconut oil for my casual chukka boots. Polish made them too shiny and Renovateur didn't seem to keep them hydrated. The coconut oil soaked into the leather and left them hydrated and supple with a matte finish. I didn't like the effect on an old pair of dress shoes though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was sick this weekend, and didn't get around to doing my boots. I have a question, though. The video is showing this being done with a solid polish. I use the Red Wind Boot Cream in burgundy. Can you do the same thing with that? As you can see, the toes of my boots take a beating. Will I benefit from the extra work? One down side I see is I don't have a defined toe cap, so I will have to eyeball it. Yeah, they look rough- I need to polish them more. The leather still feels great.
$boot.jpg

I wouldn't polish a pair of boots. I would condition them with some conditioner or oil, then maybe touch up any scuffs with the colored cream.

wow can I relate. I couldn't find the butler and had a friend weld up my plate from scratch. the cedar chest was free from a neighbor and the racks are full now. using polycarb plastic to hold polish and bought a side table put casters on it to roll back and forth from my l/r to office. I was the official shoe shiner in Navy boot camp 45 years ago . $shoe cabinet 001.jpg$shoes 2 002.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I was sick this weekend, and didn't get around to doing my boots. I have a question, though. The video is showing this being done with a solid polish. I use the Red Wind Boot Cream in burgundy. Can you do the same thing with that? As you can see, the toes of my boots take a beating. Will I benefit from the extra work? One down side I see is I don't have a defined toe cap, so I will have to eyeball it. Yeah, they look rough- I need to polish them more. The leather still feels great.
View attachment 619694

To get the gleaming shine you need the hard wax polish. I remember one guy who had these amazingly polished toe caps. One day he came to attention and a big honking bit of polish broke off. Turns out he was using floor polish as his base. (I don't know if the floor polish was the problem or just the thickness he managed to apply)

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
A562DAD9-E5A2-4A8A-AAD6-02652D7E0AB0.jpeg

Took these 20-year old J&M’s Aldrich II out of the closet and decided to give them a nice cleaning.
B28076A5-6EE0-4D2D-9FDA-156674A9F3FF.jpeg

Dusted them off with a horse hair brush and then gave them a quick wipe with a barely damp cloth. Applied some Saphir Renovateur (as some of you already know, this stuff is gold :yesnod: ).

Brushed the Renovateur off after letting it treat the leather for a few minutes and then applied some Alden brown polish. After brushing the excess polish off, I go over the shoes with a chamois mitt.

Finally, I bulled the captoes.
8E991BC1-AE80-4CFF-9011-9A4729876EC1.jpeg

Say what you will about the decline of J&M’s quality (and I don’t disagree) but these shoes have always been a solid performer and the leather is very soft and they have held up very nicely, IMO. Don’t know what they are like today but I have several pairs of this model purchased many years ago and they remained in my regular rotation.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I am committed (or maybe I should be committed is more like it. :rolleyes: ) to taking care of my shoes.

Although I’ve always taken care of the uppers, I have to be more committed to taking better care of the soles.

As you can see, these 15+ year old pair of J&M Aldrich IIs need help with some very dried out soles.

So I obtained a bottle of Saphir’s Natural Leather Sole Guard and applied a coat to help moisturize and waterproof the soles. This product is a tad on the expensive side but a little goes a long way.

EDF9A149-8DFA-4A26-A06B-B5E0D904DD56.jpeg

A2A47113-2D21-4A53-9BFC-89195AB3579E.jpeg

(In the background, you can see another pair laying on its side after receiving an application of the Sole Guard).
8E018F4A-4E8D-48B2-8BC6-6D52108E7C9D.jpeg

F789D5E1-4A72-4AC9-8877-BA66B175DE0C.jpeg

I will let these dry overnight and then apply another coat tomorrow.

Next, I think I will invest in a pair of galoshes to help prolong the life of my shoes as they tend to take a beating from the rain, snow and the salt from the Northeastern winters.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Today, after last night’s first application of Sole Guard...
BD14BA99-826F-4BBF-8133-25689908A587.jpeg

... and after the second application this morning.
BB0C1B5B-F0C3-4DD2-8AEB-AC0F80014E2B.jpeg

It has been recommended that after a first application you should wait at least
one-hour before wearing them or if you do a second application an hour after the first one then wait six-hours to allow it to dry.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
C0E21B0D-02E0-48C8-9536-96904BD8B342.jpeg

So I invested in a pair of Swims galoshes. Wore them today after tucking the carry bag into the interior pocket of my raincoat.

Leather soles good and dry and the uppers were also spared from the elements.

I think they are a sound investment to provide protection for your shoes.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
View attachment 1026678
So I invested in a pair of Swims galoshes. Wore them today after tucking the carry bag into the interior pocket of my raincoat.

Leather soles good and dry and the uppers were also spared from the elements.

I think they are a sound investment to provide protection for your shoes.
Good investment, with the crappy weather we had yesterday afternoon, it makes sense to have these shoe condoms. Went to Summit yesterday to pick my wife up after surgery and was trapped by a horrendous downpour in the garage.

How often do you gents strip everything off with something like Saphir Renomat or acetone, and build back up with conditioner/cream/wax? Someone in a different thread likened a talented shoe shiner to someone who can put a wicked edge on a straight. I guess this question is akin to resetting the bevel!

Good question, The Don. For me, so far, never. But from what I am getting from the net, I should.

That photo from Mark the Shoehine Boy terrifies me. There but by the grace of God go I.

Johnniegold's adoption of the Saphir sole protection scares me, too. I, from time to time, but not consistently, spray silicon water proofing on my soles. I would never put silcon on the uppers. But I figure the soles are going to be replaced eventually anyway. I am a big Saphir fan, but that sole treatment seems really expensive for what it is. I should use galoshes and should have some somewher, but it has been a while since I got them out.

Nice knots on those laces, JG. I am not worthy.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
How often do you gents strip everything off with something like Saphir Renomat or acetone, and build back up with conditioner/cream/wax?

I have never done this but it is on my “to-do” list as it seems to make sense in the maintenance of the leather and overall proper shoe care. Kirby Allison over at The Hangar Project has a good video on the process. I would like to give it a go.

Thr Saphir Renomat has been sitting in my Amazon cart for quite some time now. :rolleyes:

but that sole treatment seems really expensive for what it is. I should use galoshes and should have some somewher, but it has been a while since I got them out.

Nice knots on those laces, JG. I am not worthy.

The Saphir Sole Guard is expensive, I agree but a little does go a long way. I think I have applied it to most of the shoes in my regular work rotation and still have a quarter of a bottle left (even after accidentally knocking the bottle over and some of it spilled out. I mopped it up with an old t-shirt and applied it to some shoes... waste not, want not).

With the purchase of the Swims galoshes and the application of the Sole Guard hopefully should extend the life of the leather soles exponentially.

To be or knot to be. Thanks. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom