What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

Hey everyone, I busted out my Hallows for this month and I've been noticing that I'm getting a little irritation from it. Nothing that lingers, but I am wondering if it is the vetiver. I love the smell, and I was not allergic to vetiver when I was younger, to the best of my recollection. And I was exposed fairly often because my parents made soap and my father loves the smell of it. Anyone else develop an allergy after "growing up"? I am considering trading the set at this point. I have the soap, aftershave and EDT. Only thing that gives me pause is that it seems to only bug me for a bit and then it goes away. Tough decisions :).

I have has Hallows as my exception all year and only recently picked it up on the BST.
I love the soap but I am kinda not loving the AS as it is a bit ... akrid? ... chemically? ... medicinal???
The AS was brand new too (still sealed).

But judging by what you mentioned, I have had no issues with the soap. But have noticed minor irritation from the AS.
Dunno if it was my technique that yielded a bit more burny face, or the AS in general.
Typically I have no issues with any of the other AS that I use and I have a large range of scents with any multitude of ingredients so irritation is not typically an issue.

1570437693536.png

Hanging in there. No buys this year. I wonder what the new soaps are like? I haven't been following any of the soap threads lest I be tempted.

Still in, and since I conveniently killed my Derby tub, I'm doing Tactober! :D I'll have to get a puck of each of those for next year. I'm not super fussy about soaps and those two work great.

I did a check today and not only am I still in, I may not need a resupply. If I am cautious with blades, I may be set through 2020...

I’m kind of looking forward to resupplying. Does that defeat the purpose?
Maybe some Pannacrema Blu? RR The Dead Sea?
More Speick. Try Proraso Green AS?

I’m kind of looking forward to resupplying. Does that defeat the purpose?

Everyone approaches this thing with different levels of seriousness but in my opinion, yes, it does defeat the purpose and the spirit of the sabbatical. I mean how hard is it to successfully complete the "sabbatical" when one buys a bunch of new stuff at the beginning of each year? I think the rules allow for a purchase of something if one is totally out of a necessary item so everything else is basically a want and not a need. I'm in it for the challenge of reducing what I already have. There are a few aftershaves I would like to buy because I'm out of them and kind of miss them but I still have so many other aftershaves to use up so I'm not going to do it. For me it's a nice exercise in self-control which is translating to other areas of my life as well.

Top Bottom