What's new

My Grande Journey

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Bacon grease would work really well I think, but I might need to fight the raccoons, or the neighbors dogs, for it lol.

Speaking of dogs (the neighbor's dogs & dogs in China)...well, are there dogs in China? I'm too lazy to Google it. Anyway, I'm thinking of a special relationship you could have with the dogs next door. No, it's not dog fat shaving. That's just disgusting.

I'm thinking dog drool or dog slobber or whatever you call it. That stuff is really slick, but it's gotta be fresh so the stuff you buy in the store won't work (that's for you, Rave).

I'd try it but we don't have a dog now. When we had Golden Retrievers dog drool was ubiquitous. If we have a contest (see earlier post) I won't be angry if you steal this idea seeing as how you have access to the main ingredient.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1016535

$2 a bottle, or less! Thats a 532ml bottle, which is also apparently 532cc's. I might have used 1cc. By the time water is added I'd bet thats 600 shaves for $2.

I've not given up on them. CRS and Wickham are clearly much nicer in use and smell better. You can do much worse than Dawn though. T&H 1805 Luxury soap and Midnight & Two would be two examples. I'd rather use Dawn than either of them again.

My skin was and still is very nice. Its only drying initially and then not very much. Not all Dawn soaps are created equally. The regular blue one is the worst. The Botanicals are much gentler on the skin.

I'm confident I can shave with anything thats slick enough. Scent and a little cushion is all I want.

View attachment 1016536
Just got my first tub of CRS in today, Indian sandalwood scent. I'll shave with it tonight. Quite excited. Hoping to get a more mass market cream/soap in case my usual artisans go under/retire/fall ill/etc. Should work better than Dawn I'd expect lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'd try it but we don't have a dog now.

I have an empty Stirling tub. If I can collect enough slobber Jim, I'll pop it in the mail for you to try. I suspect it might work better with a SR. :)

Just got my first tub of CRS in today, Indian sandalwood scent. I'll shave with it tonight. Quite excited. Hoping to get a more mass market cream/soap in case my usual artisans go under/retire/fall ill/etc. Should work better than Dawn I'd expect lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

What do you think of the scent in the tub?

I know it works better than Dawn and it will take a lot more water.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mike, it doesn't keep well. You have to use it fresh. It being dog drool of course.

I've heard you've joined SSFSC, Mike. I know you're being a nice guy trying to let me get the credit for my idea, but you can have the glory.

Unfortunately, there are no dogs here. None. The whole city is a bunch of pet haters. All the veterinarians left town. Thus, there's no chance of me running the experiment!

It's up to you.

BOSC.2.Saliva Shaving for science in canada.jpg

Only you can make it happen, Mike.

Millions are looking for your shave report, sir. Remember you should use the same dog's s drool for a week or two to determine the post-post shave feel.

Happy (dog slobber and other) shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike, it doesn't keep well. You have to use it fresh. It being dog drool of course.

Dont worry Jim, I can make it survive that long! lol.

Sealing_Meat.gif

You might think about raising Newfoundlands. You could make money on them, twice! lol

maxresdefault.jpg

Nope, aint doin it.

source.gif

If I was still deer hunting though... Deer fat is slick. So is raccoon, but nope, not doing that either lol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
At least Thompson's is made to be applied with a brush, and the best turpentine is from Italy. Both products have most likely been tested on animals, and they come with a MSDS sheets unlike the things you're thinking of trying.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You guys are crazy, I'll stick to Thompson's Water Sealer and turpentine.

At least Thompson's is made to be applied with a brush, and the best turpentine is from Italy. Both products have most likely been tested on animals, and they come with a MSDS sheets unlike the things you're thinking of trying.

Sounds like Mike and I have some company, Mr. Ambassador (to Fatip from BOSC).

Happy shaves, my friend,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I haz soaps.

Phoenix & Beau - Iceni.

IMG_3143.jpg IMG_3144.jpg IMG_3145.jpg

Good God man, that smells nice. A deep, musky, citrusy scent. Similar in complexity to the CC Sandalwood I love so much but with a fresh yet subdued citrus note to it instead of the smokey and smouldering note of the CC scent.

Wickham 1912 - Shangri La.

IMG_3146.jpg IMG_3147.jpg IMG_3149.jpg IMG_3153.JPG

This scent is sweet, rich and slightly spicy. Its the Key Lime pie to Wickhams Club Cola Lemon Meringue pie. The waxed paper over the soap was a nice touch. I've not seen a soap with that before.

CRS - Indian Sandalwood.

IMG_3150.jpg IMG_3151.jpg IMG_3152.jpg

Its the more refined, mature older brother of Proraso Red. Slightly spicy and slightly sharp. I expect it to open up a lot as its lathered the same as their Rose cream does.

Of the three, Iceni is my favorite, by a long way too. From this single P&B soap I'd say the P&B scent profiles are more refined, smoother, deeper and more cohesive than CRS and thats saying a lot.

Captain's Choice Sandalwood Balm is still the winner to my nose because of that smokey, smouldering depth. The more soaps I accumulate the more the CC scents stand out.

@Captain Pre-Capsize.

Scott, I dont know how you do it but the scents you create are still the nicest I've smelled. The Sandalwood Balm I have of yours is still the nicest scent I have ever had the pleasure to inhale.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Shave reports to follow I hope, Mike.

I've tried only one of these three brands. You know which one but others might not (so it's 1912).

I've not even heard of the first soap you list; how'd you come across it and decide to try it. Amazing how many soaps there are.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Shave reports to follow I hope, Mike.

I've tried only one of these three brands. You know which one but others might not (so it's 1912).

I've not even heard of the first soap you list; how'd you come across it and decide to try it. Amazing how many soaps there are.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think it was @WildWest74 that first mentioned them to me quite a while back, then I came across this thread:

No Love for Phoenix and Beau? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/no-love-for-phoenix-and-beau.541787/

If scent was any indication of performance, I'd buy more today.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yeah, it was him and it was this post that convinced me.

Phoenix and Beau falls into the category of what I consider "elite" soaps. Excellent lather performance throughout the shave, and the post shave is so good that I can just rub in the lather and I don't need any form of aftershave splash or balm. Less than a handful of soap brands perform like that for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yep. I wanted P&B Sanskrit but they were sold out. He who hesitates...

I'll post a review after I've used it a few shaves. I have high hopes! lol

When I read the scent profiles I thought Sanskrit would be your choice and wondered why you picked another. Why I thought that I have no idea.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom