What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Can't speak to the 2.0, but I've owned the "1.0" cube. For my skin, it didn't really help as a "pre-shave", i.e. with slickness, as a moisturizer, or with post-shave. That said, it's $6 for 8 oz, which includes a lot of skin food, so it's more than worth the price from a "face soap" perspective.

I just placed an order yesterday, never heard of the Cube before ... Can’t wait to try it... Good size for the price and should last a while imo

Off-topic but any store in Europe selling the cube? I've found their soaps but not the cube...

Doubt it. All the soaps that are sold in Europe are from a very old soap base as well. PAA would have to clear every new product they release with the EU and this is obviously too costly for them, as they constantly work on new formulas (as do a lot of the US artisans) to cater to the short attention span customers ;)

So your only option is purchasing from the US directly.

I have two of the first cubes he released a few months ago and just got two of his 8 oz cubes today and used it. It was pretty nice.it's HUGE, so it will last a long time. Even if you don't like it as a pre shave, you can basically use it for anything else like face soap, body soap, and even hair shampoo. It has such good moisturizing things in it. got 6 bucks, it's a no brainer. These cubes will turn any shave soap into a mentholated shave soap. I currently have two of his smaller sized cubes he released a while ago and I will just use these as my shower body soaps and maybe even hair shampoo and use the newer 8 oz ones as my main pre shave soap. BUY IT GUYS. They're a tremendous value for the size of soap you get. they are also lather boosters too.

Last four days rotation of Cube 2, GD unscented, Cube 2, GD Eucalyptus Spearmint and for me GD is provides better glide and post shave feel but twice the price and half the weight, though all relative as you use more of cube when you use as directed. Plus the cube is messy compared to GD. Having said all that, I still consider it a good deal and product and will use in my rotation.

So I used the Cube this afternoon and it is slicker then Grooming Dept preshave for me leading to much smoother shave with less touch ups
I completely agree that it is a messy one compared to Grooming Dept and shouldn't be kept in the bathroom and moved to cool and dry place as soon as you done cause it melts too easy. Optional dock is just a platform you can store the Cube on instead of a container which is more useful to keep from moisture

So I used the Cube this afternoon and it is slicker then Grooming Dept preshave for me leading to much smoother shave with less touch ups
I completely agree that it is a messy one compared to Grooming Dept and shouldn't be kept in the bathroom and moved to cool and dry place as soon as you done cause it melts too easy. Optional dock is just a platform you can store the Cube on instead of a container which is more useful to keep from moisture
Thanks for an excellent review, mine is coming in on Monday:)

I have used some variety of P&B since their inception as I really like their soap as well as the owner is a fine man by all appearances. Also, his shave tutorial vids are some of the best made IMO. I shaved with their Spitfire today and the shave was simply superb. That said, I just ordered from Connaught in London P&B's newest limited edition soap Right Handed Giant which is their salute to Brut Classic. I could never get my hands on the much lauded Brazilian Brut shave cream in a tube so I was not going to let this new soap slip by. ;)

I was sad to see OSP stop production, but rest assured that P&B is available to sate your British artisan needs. Good people. :thumbsup:

P&B makes excellent soaps. I have 2 variants (Star-Noir and Albion) and will expand them. Great cushioning. Great slickness and the soap can take on tons of water. Very, very good post-shave feel. The owner on YouTube advised to use the remaining lather at the end to wash your entire face and that has become a standard thing for me... makes the skin feel amazing for the rest of the day.

I was sad to see OSP stop production, but rest assured that P&B is available to sate your British artisan needs. Good people. :thumbsup:
Really sad to see James go as his soaps and scents are amazing. He did say in an e-mail to me he might come back in the future. I stocked up with 13 of his soaps, so I'm good for the foreseeable future fortunately:)

The only Phoenix & Beau soap I have is Albion and I love it. The scent is beautiful - to me it’s lavender more than anything else.

Rick

Spitfire is one of my favorite P&B soap. To my nose the scent is mostly lather and tobacco in trailing. These two are nicely blended and none overpowers the other predominant scent. In all it smells like an honest soap. That said out of the 5 soaps I have, I have come to understand how Kerry creates a scent profile over a base and as a result out of the Spitfire, Coda, Whitechapel, Star Noir and Volupta; only Volupta stands very different smelling. The others, while different from each other (although Coda and Whitechapel are very close to each other) smells heavy base, little dirty with hint of darkness lurking around. If I have to further make a distinction about overall scent profiling, I’d say Stirlings soaps (most of them) are bright, perky and lighter smelling.
Actual performance is nice but I am hesitant to say these are top performing soaps in terms of slickness and post shave feel. Slickness is enough to get the job done and there is no greasy post shave feel I suffer from some of other top rated soaps in peak of summers even when they are straight forward citrus scents. P&B is good ROI and honest hardworking soap.

Top Bottom