What's new

August Photo Challenge Cell Phones

One of my favorite shots I took this last month was on my phone. It's not the best pic I took all month, but at least I have the pic. For this month let's rely more on skill and technique than gear. Last week when I pulled into the work parking lot there was a common nighthawk sitting in the parking lot. I didn't have my camera, but I had my phone. I got it ready and did the best I could. It flew about 30 feet away from where it was sitting and landed in a scrap metal dumpster. Knowing I had to get close with the wide angle lens I crept up slowly taking shots the whole time. I didn't have much background to work with, but tried to get the subject framed in front of something solid to take as much distraction away. The best I had was a water heater, so that's what I used. Then I cropped away as much as I could. It's not the best shot, but it's the best I could do with what I had. So let's see what we can do with what we have. Here's my pic and crop. Not my entry just an example. If you don't have a camera phone I'll also allow point and shoot cameras or other small sensor picture taking devices. If you want to get creative and shoot through binoculars, magnifying glasses or something else or go crazy with the post have at it as long as it's on a tiny sensor camera.
20190723_065855.jpg
20190723_065855(c1).jpg

Here's the standard set of rules for the contest.
  • winner of the previous months challenge picks new theme and starts thread.
  • You must be the photographer.
  • One entry per month.
  • Try and make the image a recent one.
  • Competition runs until the 19th of the Month.
  • Voting runs from the 20th - 26th.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner.
Have your phone ready and have fun!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, very interesting. My entry last month was cell phone, and rapidly shot (have you ever tried to take a picture of a kitten? :) ). I need to think about this.

Oh, very interesting. My entry last month was cell phone, and rapidly shot (have you ever tried to take a picture of a kitten? :) ). I need to think about this.
Yeah, but they move too fast for a cell phone in a dimly lit room. More light from a flash, table lamp, or flashlight probably would have helped. Also not an entry.
IMG_20170912_060602.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah, but they move too fast for a cell phone in a dimly lit room. More light from a flash, table lamp, or flashlight probably would have helped. Also not an entry.
View attachment 1003419
Looks about right. When mine isn’t sleeping wrapped around my head, he sleeps on the shirt I toss on the floor next to the bed when I go to sleep.

Looks about right. When mine isn’t sleeping wrapped around my head, he sleeps on the shirt I toss on the floor next to the bed when I go to sleep.
She no longer fits in my boot, but does seem to be under my feet, especially on the stairs.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Excellent challenge! As I am so lazy, photographically speaking, lately.... this should be fun!

Excellent challenge! As I am so lazy, photographically speaking, lately.... this should be fun!
Good I was hoping this would pull some phone shooters out of the woodwork, and let them fell less intimidated about posting. Just remember be lazy about caring gear, but not about getting it out of your pocket. Or taking a few extra seconds to check your composition and frame edges. Just a few seconds can really improve the final image, and take some safety shots the "film and developing" are free.

FarmerTan

Good I was hoping this would pull some phone shooters out of the woodwork, and let them fell less intimidated about posting. Just remember be lazy about caring gear, but not about getting it out of your pocket. Or taking a few extra seconds to check your composition and frame edges. Just a few seconds can really improve the final image, and take some safety shots the "film and developing" are free.
Lol, I must admit, this "no film photography" is so much easier! And cropping on a phone? I feel like a mad scientist sometimes!

Here's the standard set of rules for the contest.
  • winner of the previous months challenge picks new theme and starts thread.
  • You must be the photographer.
  • One entry per month.
  • Try and make the image a recent one.
  • Competition runs until the 19th of the Month.
  • Voting runs from the 20th - 26th.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner.
Have your phone ready and have fun!

Nice sunset!

...as far as i know the idea behind these contests is to take a picture in response to the challenge rather then mining the archive.
dave

I guess we have to define "recent". This pic is only a few weeks old and appears to meet the requirements of the "contest rules" and the theme. Sorry if I offended.

FarmerTan

I guess we have to define "recent". This pic is only a few weeks old and appears to meet the requirements of the "contest rules" and the theme. Sorry if I offended.
Don't offend me any. I took an interesting pic of a tulip tree blossom in my back yard I was gonna post. It's about 2 weeks old. I guess I could go take a shot of my woodpile.

EF0D2BF0-5E7C-4E5E-9706-43EB41533033.jpeg

Desktop recording amp that sits to my left on a shelf on my desk. Got up to leave the room and turned the light off. The glow hit me.

Pic and crop
7/31/19

FarmerTan

Thank you, sir. And I myself would love to see a good woodpile shot.
Lol, maybe tomorrow, as my lovely War Department has plans to run the log splitter! We have been blessed; folks have been DELIVERING wood to us! I counted around 8 face cords split already. You have NEVER seen an uglier wood shed in your life!

FarmerTan

IMG_20190801_112641631_HDR.jpg
Lol, maybe tomorrow, as my lovely War Department has plans to run the log splitter! We have been blessed; folks have been DELIVERING wood to us! I counted around 8 face cords split already. You have NEVER seen an uglier wood shed in your life!

This was voted the ugliest woodshed in Michigan 30 years running. Took it a few minutes ago. The War Department was feeding the chickens or she would have undoubtedly vetoed this post, lol.
Not cropped in any way, just phenomenal composition, ha! May be a bit over exposed.

Top Bottom