What's new

Thoughts on ARKO

In preparation for Arko August, I had a few thoughts on Arko shaving soap/stick. I may be off base, but again maybe not. I have a BA in archeology and MA in physical anthropology. Now we all know that Arko is made in modern day Turkey. What is now Turkey used to be a major part of the Roman Empire. In fact it was the center of the Eastern Roman Empire. Is it possible that during Roman Empire times, manly Roman Legionnaires used a shaving soap that was the precursor of Arko? That over the ages this shaving soap evolved into the Arko that we know, and love, today? Maybe so, maybe not. Still it is something to think about as Arko August approaches.

[/QUOTE Still it is something to think about as Arko August approaches.[/QUOTE]

Now you ruined my night sleep..

Probably something the Pompeii archaeologists should give priority to. There must be some graffiti along the lines of "Julius smells of rancid Arko."

Those manly soldiers just rubbed rocks and oil on their skin; they didn't need no stinkin' ARKO.

LOL

Everybody knows soaps were not widely used until there were Soap Operas.

:)

Last edited:
Everybody knows soaps were not widely used until there were Singing Soap Operas.
proxy.php

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I read somewhere that soap was unknown to the Romans, and that they cleansed themselves by slathering on olive oil, then scrubbing down in the local bathhouse.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
In preparation for Arko August, I had a few thoughts on Arko shaving soap/stick. I may be off base, but again maybe not. I have a BA in archeology and MA in physical anthropology. Now we all know that Arko is made in modern day Turkey. What is now Turkey used to be a major part of the Roman Empire. In fact it was the center of the Eastern Roman Empire. Is it possible that during Roman Empire times, manly Roman Legionnaires used a shaving soap that was the precursor of Arko? That over the ages this shaving soap evolved into the Arko that we know, and love, today? Maybe so, maybe not. Still it is something to think about as Arko August approaches.
I believe this is a good working hypothesis!

FarmerTan

I will lay you good odds that the human that created that "face", assuming he painted himself, has died of fatty liver disease.

I read somewhere that soap was unknown to the Romans, and that they cleansed themselves by slathering on olive oil, then scrubbing down in the local bathhouse.
I just came back from Rome and the guide from one of my tours said the same thing about olive oil.

PS: I brought my Arko stick to Rome for my shaves

I think Arko was started in the '50's I'm a big fan, one of my favorite soaps. Many don't like it due to the aroma. I just press my sticks into my bowl and after a few days the aroma fades significantly.

FarmerTan

I think Arko was started in the '50's I'm a big fan, one of my favorite soaps. Many don't like it due to the aroma. I just press my sticks into my bowl and after a few days the aroma fades significantly.
It literally explodes with lather.

Top Bottom