What's new

Buying mistakes, particularly new DE users

Biggest mistake was being overzealous and not doing enough research before my initial purchases.

Buying the Vikings Blade Godfather based on reviews was probably my biggest purchasing mistake. It's an okay razor, but nothing special. I could have done just as well for a lot less (and I have) or a lot better for a little more (I've done that too).

Buying a cheap badger brush based on reviews. Had I taken the time to do just a little more research, I would have gone with a boar or synthetic for the same price and I would have been a lot happier. I still have the brush, but I never use it. I don't have the heart to give it away (i don't dislike anyone that much) and I'm not willing to just throw it out.

Buying 100 Astra SP blades based on reviews could have been a bad decision, but it worked out. It cost me less the 10 bucks and the blades are still some of my favorites.

Buying more soap than i needed before i knew how to build lather. I wasted a lot of soap in the process. I also bought way too much soap based on reviews. I now have a lot of great soaps (according to the reviews) in a box in my closet waiting to be used.

Live and learn...

I think the biggest mistake I made was giving in to the itch to buy things and chasing after all the cool toys, which was totally not the reason I started down this road at all.

I was more referring to member who has been shaving all of 2 years, yet has somehow tried 12 razors, 25 soaps, several boars, badgers, synthetics, and tells a newbie that they really shouldn't use (fill in the blank).

How the *** would they know how good something is when they don't use the same setup for more than 2 days in a row? Did they really give it a chance? Did they use it back when they weren't *so experienced* and had bad technique?

I totally agree on those other types of members. And it's not even that I dislike them participating in the forum. There is certainly room for everyone to give their opinion. It's just the way that some people will present themselves as some sort of shaving guru after 12 weeks and just as many setups.

Now you tell me you've gone through all those setups in 10 or 20 years, or you just give your 2 cents without bashing what works for someone else? Those are the people that I think we'd agree a newbie should pay attention to.

It's all subjective. For example, whether someone wants to discount my input because I have only gone back to traditional DE shaving recently(Dec '17) is their choice. If they believe I lack the critical thought process to make a fair assessment, that's fine, they don't know me. Heck, there are folks who profess significant shaving experience and product use, but lack critical assessment skills, favoring their process over the product.
For the record, I have tried over 25 different razors, varying between the DE and Injector types, since Dec 2017. My soap use has been limited to 13 different soaps and creams since January 2018, but that doesn't take into account 9 different ToOBS creams(not samples), multiple Stirling soaps or the multiple Captain's Choice soaps and creams.
The forum has also opened opportunities to us through pass-around boxes, such as the Synthetic Brush Pass-Around Box, where I and countless others were able to access a massive variety of brushes(I added 3 to the box). I can't tell you what my brush count is, but it is higher than my razor count.
In the end enthusiasts can offer, in a short period of time, as fair an assessment as the DE veteran. They can also be as short-sighted as there is.

Biggest mistake was being overzealous and not doing enough research before my initial purchases.

Buying the Vikings Blade Godfather based on reviews was probably my biggest purchasing mistake. It's an okay razor, but nothing special. I could have done just as well for a lot less (and I have) or a lot better for a little more (I've done that too).

Buying a cheap badger brush based on reviews. Had I taken the time to do just a little more research, I would have gone with a boar or synthetic for the same price and I would have been a lot happier. I still have the brush, but I never use it. I don't have the heart to give it away (i don't dislike anyone that much) and I'm not willing to just throw it out.

Buying 100 Astra SP blades based on reviews could have been a bad decision, but it worked out. It cost me less the 10 bucks and the blades are still some of my favorites.

Buying more soap than i needed before i knew how to build lather. I wasted a lot of soap in the process. I also bought way too much soap based on reviews. I now have a lot of great soaps (according to the reviews) in a box in my closet waiting to be used.

Live and learn...
Reknot that brush with a knot type that you do like, and use the soaps that you have. We have all gone down this road, enjoy the journey.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Reknot that brush with a knot type that you do like, and use the soaps that you have. We have all gone down this road, enjoy the journey.

Clayton

@Chevyguy, thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered putting a different knot in the brush. I'll look into it when I get home this evening.

As for the soaps... I've vacuum-sealed most of them. I have three pucks in my current rotation to allow for a bit of variety.

My advice to the new shaver,
1. Don't eat any wooden nickels
2. Never kick the horse that feeds you
(the first is a saying I made up as a little kid, the second is something I had a boss tell me one time)

Main mistake I made was expecting a certain razor/blade combo to give me a BBS nearly every time. I would see posts by people who found a perfect combo and thought this would happen to anyone who tried enough products.

I've spent way too much money on razors before I improved my technique. Now I've got 20 razors of which I only use maybe 5. At least they give me the shave I was looking for.

Main mistake I made was expecting a certain razor/blade combo to give me a BBS nearly every time. I would see posts by people who found a perfect combo and thought this would happen to anyone who tried enough products.
Don't expect BBS every time you shave. If your face look's clean shaven in the mirror except a DFS shave. If you push for BBS all you're gonna end up with is a sore face.

Clayton

I am fortunate enough to be both a parent and grandparent and as such, I have changed quite a few diapers. I have come to the realization that my days of BBS are long gone.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My advice to the new shaver,
1. Don't eat any wooden nickels
2. Never kick the horse that feeds you
(the first is a saying I made up as a little kid, the second is something I had a boss tell me one time)
Best advice I've seen in quite a while.

It's all subjective. For example, whether someone wants to discount my input because I have only gone back to traditional DE shaving recently(Dec '17) is their choice. If they believe I lack the critical thought process to make a fair assessment, that's fine, they don't know me. Heck, there are folks who profess significant shaving experience and product use, but lack critical assessment skills, favoring their process over the product.
For the record, I have tried over 25 different razors, varying between the DE and Injector types, since Dec 2017. My soap use has been limited to 13 different soaps and creams since January 2018, but that doesn't take into account 9 different ToOBS creams(not samples), multiple Stirling soaps or the multiple Captain's Choice soaps and creams.
The forum has also opened opportunities to us through pass-around boxes, such as the Synthetic Brush Pass-Around Box, where I and countless others were able to access a massive variety of brushes(I added 3 to the box). I can't tell you what my brush count is, but it is higher than my razor count.
In the end enthusiasts can offer, in a short period of time, as fair an assessment as the DE veteran. They can also be as short-sighted as there is.

Let me say that I do and continue to appreciate your posts and histories of Gillette type razors. However, since you have a beard, that should be a standard disclaimer when addressing a new user/member and giving advice since the curved areas of the face are the most challenging areas to shave thoroughly. So, you might say the Gillette Old Type is the best for you when the context is that it is the best for your neck and some detail work. One simply cannot describe the best technique for using a GEM Micromatic under the nose unless they need to do it. One cannot advise a new straight razor user how to shave the chin unless it's something they need to perform themselves. That you did a time or two is not relevant. To talk the talk one must walk the walk.

If I have facial hair, as I did for decades, using a DE, SE, shavette, or straight would be much more simple. I do believe having facial hair produced in me the tendency to rush and not address the detail work required to obtain a good shave. I am not saying this true for you, but it is something that I am presently addressing for myself.

I was present at the conclusion of a rather heated staff conference when a well meaning but less than brilliant administrator stated, "I agree with everything that has been said."

However, since you have a beard, that should be a standard disclaimer when addressing a new user/member and giving advice since the curved areas of the face are the most challenging areas to shave thoroughly.
True, sharing that is helpful. My beard comes and goes and might turn into a Van Dyke, or just to toy with Mrs. Rev579, I might leave just a cheesy Foo-Man-Choo mustache. In fact, because I know enjoy shaving, sometimes I just decide to shave for a while. 7-10 is all it takes to be back where I keep my beard at the shortest. So, while I wear a beard(in one form or another) most of the time, it's not all the time.
The curved areas are challenging, but from my experience, the swirls on my neck give me my biggest run for the money moments. I deal with those curved areas by manipulating my jaw and stretching the skin, which I can't really do for the swirls.
But in the end, the only talking and walking I'd be comfortable with is Vintage Gillette DE's. I could share an opinion in the Injector razors, but that's not this thread.

get yourself a feather ad d2, MDC soap and a vulvix brush with a blade sampler pack including merkur blades, and osma alum block. practice until you get a few consecutive good bbs shaves. once you got your technique down, then get more stuff. i know people will say start with cheaper stuff, but i think this are good items that will last you a long time in the long run you will be happy you got these. and you will keep it in your rotation, as where u might toss the cheaper stuff aside.

Buying too many modern razors before discovering vintage.
I have to agree and also add the practicality. My Baili is a tech clone of cheap parts (it shave well, though... No complaints). It cost around the same any of my techs did. However, im a young guy (43). A lot of these Gillettes have been around long before me, and many of them will still be around after im in the ground. Kinda sobering and impressive... Especially considering how little they cost.

I have made many of the mistakes listed here, as well as others im sure. I just hope / pray I've never billed myself as an expert. I try to offer whatever help i can... We all want to when you are surrounded by such nice, helpful folks... It's natural to want to pitch in. Still, I have hopefully always tried to insert a nod to my novice skill-set in conversations. In the end, while I'd like to help someone else, I certainly don't want to hinder them.

My (novice) 2 cents. [emoji846]

Top Bottom