What's new

New to honing. If you could start over which stones would you buy?

You are always welcome, remember one thing, whetstones tend to multiply like rabbits.
I have more stones that i forgot to mention in the post :)
I now have a Shapton pro 1.5 5 and a 8 and imperial la Rocca 12k to start we will see how that goes.

Started straight razors because of the bad shaves, and because I was sick of throwing plastic in to the bin. So no mater what, I would have started the same way: vintage razors and natural hones.

Would get a coticule and an arkansas, using olive oil and water.

Whatever you do, dont skimp on a diamond lapping plate. They get used all the time. Atleast mine do. Anytime something feels a little wonky on a stone. 99% of the time all it needs a a refresh with the diamond plate. Also you can generate slurry with them. In the relm of honing they are an indispensable tool with whatever stones you have.

Whatever you do, dont skimp on a diamond lapping plate. They get used all the time. Atleast mine do. Anytime something feels a little wonky on a stone. 99% of the time all it needs a a refresh with the diamond plate. Also you can generate slurry with them. In the relm of honing they are an indispensable tool with whatever stones you have.
Thank you sir I just bought 3 Jnats and a atoma 600. It’s on its way.

Dmt 1200
Dmt 8000
Pierre du sud ouest or Thuringian or hard vintage coticule or kami jnat or trans/hardblack ark or Apache grey. I could be happy with any of those. I may even be forgetting some of the finishers I use.

Sence my last post i added the following stones to my lineup:
1 translucent arkansas, boy what an edge it gives!
3 coticules natural attached with bbw, these i have used in my progression to the finisher that is the translucent. Love these.
1 escher
1 Botan nagura
1 Koma nagura
As i said, stones multiply like rabbits :)

Sence my last post i added the following stones to my lineup:
1 translucent arkansas, boy what an edge it gives!
3 coticules natural attached with bbw, these i have used in my progression to the finisher that is the translucent. Love these.
1 escher
1 Botan nagura
1 Koma nagura
As i said, stones multiply like rabbits :)

Quite the lineup!

I’ve had quite a few stones and in the end I’ve kept 3 cotis and just picked up two jnats.

If I wasn’t set in my coti ways I would have tried jnats sooner and found out how awesome they are earlier.

With my cotis I was able to do any maintenance my razors needed. The jnats now give me that extra bit of sharpness my beard now needs.

CE472D1B-807E-4910-9735-697C3FE26664.jpeg

1E760070-A762-4FC8-A285-F17DAAB0E39D.jpeg

Quite the lineup!

I’ve had quite a few stones and in the end I’ve kept 3 cotis and just picked up two jnats.

If I wasn’t set in my coti ways I would have tried jnats sooner and found out how awesome they are earlier.

With my cotis I was able to do any maintenance my razors needed. The jnats now give me that extra bit of sharpness my beard now needs.

View attachment 973365

View attachment 973366
Thats quite a lineup aswell.

I have mostly used synthetics sence i began with sharpening my kitchen knifes.
I then wandered in to the straight razors. In the world of straights synthetics can be good enough, but to have the ultimate edge i think naturals is best on giving the final finish for a smooth and keen shave.
I have ventured in to Cotis, Arkansas, garden varietys of slates, different variants of Thuris, greek hones, jnats. Everyone have it's good sides.
Jnats is amazing, very versatile stones, you have to tune in to the honing and pay attention. The honing on jnats is a little bit like meditation, can't explain it better.

But i must say i love synthetics for bevelsetting and for the moment i love the combo of Coti, Arkansas.

I have some testing to do with my greek Vermio, i have tested it in the progression from Coti to Arkansas and it works nice. I will test it with oil on its own and see what results i get. Im thinking Coti, Arkansas rough side and then Vermio with oil to see if oil speeds the stone up a bit. Bike season is here so we will se how much time i will have. Planning on a trip in Europe with the bike and one stop is the Ardennes in Belgium on the way back to get a coticule from the source.

So what would you be looking for in a coti. Best to know ahead of time instead of getting dazzled by pretty looking ones.
I would like to have a natural combo bbw with coticule and not the ones with a slate. It needs to be a wide one over 7 cm wide real estate in honing is nice. If they have a spotted one with manganese spots would be awsome.

The coti combo is great. I have two and always start on the bbw side. I haven’t tried finishing on just the bbw. Maybe I will give that a try sometime.

You don’t hear that very often these days. Is that guy still making the Apache stones?
No clue. I bought one right when he started selling and wasn’t impressed, but he sent me a replacement that’s exactly what they had been hyped up to be. Fast and a nice shave. I don’t love the feedback the way I do with Thuringians but can’t argue with the results. Definitely wouldn’t recommend the original stone though. As I recall I gave it away.

If your just starting I would start with the Naniwa stones. 3k for bevel setting, 8k & 12k. Once you get the hang of honing you can consider the JNats or Cotis. They take a lot more experience with before you start to get a good shaving results. Also, they are much more expensive and can be hit or mix. If you want to go one stone above the 12 k you can pick up a Ark finishing stone.

Top Bottom