What's new

Straight Switching.

Out of curiosity I’m just wondering how many of you switch hands when straight shaving. I’ve seen it in videos and a lot in the comments here, so just wondering if I’m the odd man out.

I could never get the hang of trying to shave with my left hand, it was always so wobbly. I don’t think I tried it more than twice when I first started.

So anyone else feel that it was just too awkward or did you all fight through it.

I switch and I never struggled with it, but that's probably thanks to the public school system. I was a lefty as a child and they forced me to learn writing right-handed resulting in me becoming ambidextrous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am close to ambidextrous, but I only cut in my right sideburn with my left hand normally. Occasionally I'll shave my right cheek and left under ear/neck with my left hand as well.

I tried a couple of times, but decided I would wait until I had straight razor shaving with on hand down before adding more to it. I have only been using a SR on a daily basis for a couple of months.

I switch hands from day one (but never had and still don't with DE), and it was honestly way easier than anticipated.

I felt that not switching would be way more complicated, with some hard to reach areas and "unusual" technique would be needed for a great shave. So my advice to anyone starting would be to perhaps "suffer" a little bit initially for the long term gain and muscle memory development.

I tried a couple of times, but decided I would wait until I had straight razor shaving with on hand down before adding more to it. I have only been using a SR on a daily basis for a couple of months.

Yeah I think that’s how I felt too. End up knowing the angles that work for you without switching.

Looks like I’m the odd one out so far didn’t think it would be so one sided. As far as odd technique or unusual angles I haven’t noticed any. I shave the one side the same as the other.

Not ambidextrous by any means, but I did switch hands using a straight, and I still switch to leftie now that I am back using DEs. It's just easier from a perspective PoV.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don’t use a Straight and I don’t switch when using a DE. I should learn to use my left hand more just in case something happens to my right hand and I have to use my left.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m extremely left handed but it only took a couple of weeks to habituate switching hands. I don’t know if I could do it one handed. I’m not sure but I believed I used only one hand with a DE.

Out of curiosity I’m just wondering how many of you switch hands when straight shaving. I’ve seen it in videos and a lot in the comments here, so just wondering if I’m the odd man out.

I could never get the hang of trying to shave with my left hand, it was always so wobbly. I don’t think I tried it more than twice when I first started.

So anyone else feel that it was just too awkward or did you all fight through it.

I use both hands. It just takes developing muscle memory. Using a SR requires stropping where muscle memory is required to flip the blade and honing where muscle memory is required doing x strokes.

I also switched hands from day one and never had any difficulties doing it. I occasionally use DE and also switch hands. As previously mentioned it’s a matter of building muscle memory.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I switch with safety razors and straight razors, but I don't switch in any orthodox manner. I use my right hand to shave the left side of my face and neck, and use my left hand to shave parts of the right side of my face and neck. To me, it's just finding what seems most natural to me.

Mostly I'm right hand dominant but not extremely so. I'm sure I shave much more with my right hand, but I think I always use my left hand some.

I say do what you feel like doing and see how it works for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom